Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to do Walkthrough FAST

NatNat

On my last monthly match I was 3rd 2nd 1st and last shooter.

I had a lot of trouble doing my walkthrough and planing out my stage.

First one was just a modified El Pres, so that was alright but the 2. and 3. stage (2. and first shooter) was really hard for me. We had ~7min for our walkthrough, and I just had time to plan out my strategy, but couldn't refine in and burn it into my subconcuous.

That was also reflected in the results:

Seconds on first stage

Fifth on 2nd and 3rd stage :sick:

First on last stage :rolleyes:

What advice can you give to speed up the walkthrough, stage planing and burning into subconcious.

PS. Round counts were 12, 32, 12 and 24.

I find it difficult to get long courses in my head, but I do manage by being quiet at the briefing and listen carefully to the amount of shots and the amount of targets.......after that I really need 2 walkthroughs :-(

In the first I try to find where all the targets are (while counting them) and find a logic route for shooting them all. When the amount of targets/shots is right, I do the second and try to find the spots where I want to make my reloads (I shoot IPSC PD) and then with a little luck it's locked in my brain.

I must say I'm not very experienced (yet) and stick to my own plan, even I see better shooters choosing other strategy's: when I change my gameplan in between I tend to mess up and 'forget' targets.

2 Walkthroughs are not enogh for me on long complex stages.

I need one just to "understand" where the targets are.

One to work out where my shooting positions are.

Work out movement.

One or two "airgunning" and then I can visulize the stage.

Then I might have to take another couple off looks at the stages.

The good thing is that I really know what I'm doing that way, but it takes more time than I have if I'm one of the first shooters.

Try getting to the match early and walking the stages before the match starts, that way when its time for the actual walk through you're not starting from zero.

I was actually there for the setup and the two stages that I messed up were the two that I made up, but thats not what this is about.

It is a good idea though to have a good look at the stages befor the match starts and actually thinking about the walkthrough

For a major match, you should strive to get there early and walk everything through ahead of time, so that when you get to that (usually 5 minute) period right before your squad is up to shoot, all you're doing is rehearsing your plan. For local matches - especially matches you help set up - this sometimes isn't possible.

If you can't do that for some reason, the next step would be to locate all the targets (avoiding FTEs), and formulate A plan, and mentally rehearse that. I'd recommend volunteering to shoot first on every stage for a while to force yourself into that situation constantly. After a couple/few matches, it won't phase you a bit. Mental rehearsal speed is a skill like any other that needs practice.

Also, as a setup volunteer, you have to learn to switch out of "match setup" mode, and into "shoot the match" mode. It's easy to fall into the trap of "knowing" how to shoot the stuff you set up already, and not giving those stages equal treatment.... leading to execution errors...

Also, as a setup volunteer, you have to learn to switch out of "match setup" mode, and into "shoot the match" mode. It's easy to fall into the trap of "knowing" how to shoot the stuff you set up already, and not giving those stages equal treatment.... leading to execution errors...

Boy, isn't that the truth.

I REALLY REALLY liked the idea to volunteer to shoot first.

Well, at first I won't like it but I think it's great practise.

For the most part I'm able to switch into "shooting the match" mode quite well, since I'm the one that comes up with about half the ideas for stages even at non match club days.

Thanks for all the tips.

Let's hope I do better next time.

Only thing that helps me is getting there early if possible. Even if you can't get to the match and see the stages, get to the pit as quick as you can after the last stage. I don't think leaving your squad before they are finished is acceptable in most cases.

Other thing I do if the squads are large and you don't have much time- I try to break up the stages in manageable sections/arrays of targets and memorize each section then put it together. That way I hopefully won't forget a target or a reload- might not be the quickest but at least I can run it smooth usually. Sometimes 32 round field courses can be a bear when they spread individual targets all over the place- behind walls, barrels, no shoots, etc. Memory stages suck sometimes and being first is a huge disadvantage IMO.

We did one stage that had 19 paper, 10 various steel spread out quite a bit... one shot per paper!! Plenty of people missed targets on that one!

The First stage was 32 rounds. There were at least 8 or 9 shooting positions and you had to stand in the exact right spot to see the targets.

The other stage that I messed up had mini IPSC targets 1 shot per targer and I engaged one pair of targets twice (visible from two positions) wich caused and aditional stationary reaload.

I didn't FTE or anything but I strive for perfection and what I did there was far from perfect.

One thing I found out the hard way is if you are fist up on your fist stage of the day, do not be afraid to ask the SO/MD to go through the stage with you more than once to make sure you have the *correct* plan in your head. What you think they said and what it really is may be two totally different things....

One thing I find to be very distracting are people who are overly helpful. When u are short on time to walk a stage I try to avoid the "advice givers" sometimes I find my most important tool is my hearing protection

I find there can be a lot of down time in that five minutes. I try to incorporate some of my EIS training. I don't walk it. I run it and try to simulate exactly what I'll do. Sometimes you can even do a particularly troubling section many times in a row and never hold anyone up. After several runs, I can see it in my head. Then I run the piss out of that movie in my head. It also helps for me to be selfish with that time. I don't mean that you are a prima Donna and annoy the whole squad hogging the stage. I mean that in that 5 minutes you gotta get that baby planned and programmed. That's your priority. You spend the whole time doing that. Get yourself first in line and stay out there rotating with your squadmates until the RO says otherwise. Usually people bail out of walkthrough and you'll find you have the whole stage to yourself or just you and a couple others.

As Chris says, run thru it as many times as you can. If you are the first shooter, take some time (within reason) after "make ready" to go over your plan one more time. If you are down in the order, visualization is key to a good plan. Good luck.

One thing I find to be very distracting are people who are overly helpful. When u are short on time to walk a stage I try to avoid the "advice givers" sometimes I find my most important tool is my hearing protection

You must be quoting from the USPSA bible!

Sometimes, there is one guy in the crowd that rubs me the wrong way, trying to give advice. If I am having trouble breaking a stage down, First I pay attention to a good shooter (not someone that thinks he's good) and try and model their game plan. If I still have problems, I just ask. Luckily, I am surrounded by AwEsome shooters, not people that just think they are good.

As was said before, break it down into sections and pay extra attention on the difficult one(s) and just memorize where the targets are. I never ever plan to be in any exact position. Every time I ever say that I have to be at a specific point for certain targets I will usually not be there and then struggle to recover and get in position. When I just know where the targets are I am a lot smoother and fly through the stage.

Brian

I'd recommend volunteering to shoot first on every stage for a while to force yourself into that situation constantly. After a couple/few matches, it won't phase you a bit. Mental rehearsal speed is a skill like any other that needs practice.

That right there.....

With time and repetition, you'll also realize that you've seen certain set-ups before, and that will help you figure out your approach a little faster. Run the stage a couple of times, then stand off to the side for a moment and visualize it -- got the beginning down cold, but lose it in the middle or end? Go burn those positions/transitions/targets a little more, then go back to visualization.

Last but not least, if you're going first -- ask for one final runthrough after the other competitors clear the range. Should take less than a minute. If you're going second, run the stage the moment the RO gives "Range is Clear."

Here are some things I have learned from shooting with some GMs.

One experienced National Champion always asks 'how many targets?'. Then he breaks them down into sections or groups.

Mike Seeklander had a diagram he used to break down the stage into components.

When I come to a stage, I count the number of targets first and compare it to the stage description. Our guys have a tendency to have a target that can only be seen from one spot and you have to look for it.

I shoot a lot of single stack, so I am always breaking a stage down into the number of reloads and where they will occur. Even when I am shooting Limited and Open. I do the same breakdown. It goes something like: eight shots from position 1, six shots from 2, move to 3 and take 9 shots. After that is settled in my mind. I look at what targets I want to shoot first thru last at each shooting position.

If you are taping, try and tape your first position targets. Next shooting tape your second shooting position targets. And so on.

I watched both Max Michel and Travis Tomasie mentally reherse their shooting strategy at the line as one more way to re-enforce their shooting strategy.

Quite frankly, taping and picking up brass is a great way to re-enforce your shooting strategy.

For me, step 1 is finding all of the targets. It doesn't do any good to get to the 3rd or 4th position and stumble across a target you didn't see before, and then have to start your planning all over again. Know the round count and find the targets before starting your walk through. I frequently walk outside of the walls just to make sure I know where everything is.

For me, step 1 is finding all of the targets. It doesn't do any good to get to the 3rd or 4th position and stumble across a target you didn't see before, and then have to start your planning all over again. Know the round count and find the targets before starting your walk through. I frequently walk outside of the walls just to make sure I know where everything is.

Good advice to know where targets are first, then decide where your shooting positions will be.

Volunteer to go first if you start on a standards or simple stage, then you will get rolled down in the shooting order and have more time to prep for field courses.

Relax and have a good time!

First thing is to find the targets. Something I learned from Max and Travis is to walk the outside of the stage first. That way you don't get your count off. I'm not going to get into strategy here but I do see a lot of shooters walk a stage twice and say they've got it. I walk/run it as many times as time allows. Once I've got my plan set then I'm adding details(reference points, specific target locations etc.)

Something I learned a while back was you have to rely on yourself to do this. If you get used to piggybacking someone else's plan what are you going to do when they're not there?