Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 for IDPA

johniac7078

Hi All: I am looking for advice. I am thinking about switching to a 1911 for IDPA. Right now I shoot a M&P 9mm. I like the M&P, but I really shoot 1911s better and just like them. And I really like 45 ACP. I am NOT a gamer, just want to be as good as I can be. Here is the challenge, I live in Massachusetts, so I am limited on which 1911 I can buy. So......I am limited to S&W, auto ordnance, and Sigs for new guns. Any advice on what would be the base way to go for a moderately priced 1911? I'd love a Colt but alas.....

Any advice/help/ideas would be appreciated.

THANKS!!

I know this is off the subject but i have to ask why you are limited to select 1911s in MA.

well, not to be a flippant, but this state is run by loser politicians......the AG some time ago decided to use consumer protection laws to try and stop gun sales in MA. So.....if you want to sell a handgun in MA, you have to submit to the AG for "testing" and it needs to pass a drop test, have a losded chamber indicator etc.. Even if you make the SAME EXACT GUN as one already approved. Unfortunately, too many makers abandoned MA. They claim the laws aren't clear so they dont want to try to hit a moving target. Glock for instance started selling in MA again several ears ago only to be told that the loaded chamber indicator was not sufficient and they needed to buy back the guns....Too bad gun makers don't realize that if you let this happen in one place, it will just keep on spreading and that the more gun owners in MA the better it is to preserve 2nd amendment rights.

For the money, if it's allowed I'd get an STI Trojan.

If I wanted to save as much money as possible, and it was allowed, I'd get an STI Spartan.

not allowed, but man I keep reading all kinds of issues with STIs. Are these just internet nonsense?

After reading your first post I had to go google what you were talking about regarding purchasing MA compliant firearms... :surprise: THAT was an eye opener.. I even read on a dealers website the attorney general sent letters to people who had purchased MA compliant glocks and then the attorney general deemed them non compliant and was "urging" people to return them for a full refund.. wow, just wow.. :roflol:

If I wanted to save as much money as possible, and it was allowed, I'd get an STI Spartan.

not allowed, but man I keep reading all kinds of issues with STIs. Are these just internet nonsense?

The reason why you may hear about problems with STI's more often than that of other brands is because most folks that buy STI's are buying them to SHOOT. If some of the other brands of 1911's would make it out to the range more often you'd hear about problems with them, too.

I've put 12,000 rounds through my Trojan this year and all I've had to do was replace the recoil spring a couple of times.

The reason why you may hear about problems with STI's more often than that of other brands is because most folks that buy STI's are buying them to SHOOT. If some of the other brands of 1911's would make it out to the range more often you'd hear about problems with them, too.

I've put 12,000 rounds through my Trojan this year and all I've had to do was replace the recoil spring a couple of times.

This.

My STI Spartan is probably a nicer gun than my Series I Kimber, other than the fact that the front strap is not checkered. An STI Spartan with the front strap checkered, the slide flat topped, a set of ambies, a Dawson front sight, magwell, and a decent set of grips and a trigger job is pretty much all that is needed for competition these days.

From your list, I'd pick the S&W, but I'd not be happy to pick any of them, especially not over STI (if it were an option).

I have 2 Trojans.

A 40 S&W that's 4 1/2 years old and has about 10000rds through it without issue other than bullet profile, and a 45ACP that's 5 months ols and has about 2000rds through it and 1 FTF and that was, I believe, a fluke. I was shooting 230gr lead TC bullets and the one just jambed on the feedramp. No issues later. I have since stopped using those bullets, but I am using 200gr plated TC bullets without issue.

I shoot a sig in IDPA but had a bit of work done to it to make it a better shooter. The trigger and mag release were the main culprits, I also put a fiber optic front sight on it. I have not had any gun problems but have had mag problems. I bought Kimber pro mags and a few CMC mags and have been happy with those

• 2 weeks later...

The new Smith E-series out of what you listed.

This. Get a new Smith E-series.

I'm sure that STI's are great guns, but they are not readily available in MA.

Edited by M1911