Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blown Up Rifle

After about round number 20 of a two day rifle class with Red Neck Tactical's Kurt Miller I had a round fail to fire during a drill. I thought maybe I ran out of ammo and the bolt didn't lock back. So I changed mags rapidly and racked a fresh round into the chamber. That next trigger pull was one I will never forget! :surprise:

I heard a big BANG and felt a huge POOF of air in my face. I instantly closed my eyes and tossed the rifle away from me. I suffered two tiny cuts on my face. My right eye was a little irritated but not as irritated as both eyes were the next day from dust in 25-30 mph winds. The shooter next to me took a piece or three of debris in the right arm and back which drew a little blood but neither of us was injured seriously thankfully.

The scope and mount still were still attached to the picatinny rail and were blown about 5-8 feet forward. The upper is completely destroyed. I should be able to save the hand guard but I will need a new barrel nut and collar. The comp and gas block should be OK too. Surprisingly the lower receiver is still in good shape despite the mag being destroyed when it was blown out the gun. My scope and mount appear to be OK as well.

After talking to the rifle manufacturer we think what happened was the round that didn't go off had a damaged case neck (as well as some reason why it didn't fire) which caused the bullet to get pulled out of the case and stuck in the chamber. I racked in a fresh round and it chambered but the bullet that was left in the chamber pushed the new bullet down into the casing causing a BIG problem when I pulled the trigger.

Lessons learned...ALWAYS WEAR YOUR RUDY PROJECT GLASSES WHEN SHOOTING and ALWAYS DOUBLE/TRIPLE CHECK YOUR RELOADS.

P6181276x.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Glad you're okay.

What am I missing?

If the bolt was still locked into the barrel, how did the receiver blow? Was it pressure coming through the gas tube? Why didn't unlock the bolt?

Or, did gas blow past the bolt into the BCG causing the damage? That implies complete case failure.

Glad you're okay.

What am I missing?

If the bolt was still locked into the barrel, how did the receiver blow? Was it pressure coming through the gas tube? Why didn't unlock the bolt?

Or, did gas blow past the bolt into the BCG causing the damage? That implies complete case failure.

If you look at the pic the bolt is not locked into the barrel extension.

The cam pin hole is almost vertical and you can almost see the bolt lugs.

Either it partially unlocked during the kaboom or wasn't fully closed when it went.

Either way I'm glad no serious injuries occured.

I can see a split neck maybe letting a bullet go forward and also not allowing the action to close enought to fire.

Usually powder goes all over the darn place when you eject the case and getting another round into the chamber would be difficult unless it was a pretty huge chamber.

I've had some no-powder cases and the primer alone didn't have enough force to move the bullet.

Hard to speculate what actually happened.

Looks like newer high quality equipment too :(

It's amazing how stuff happens the wrong way sometimes.

Nick

Well, the good news is that the upper came apart like it should have. Deflecting most of the kaboom out the sides and bottom.....good to hear you were not hurt bad. I think that John will be down this weekend and he can take it back with him....otherwise, we can take it and get it to him for inspection.

Tim

If the bolt was still locked into the barrel, how did the receiver blow?

That's my question. If the first round was a squib that didn't get past the gas port and the subsequent round pushed things past the gas port but not out the barrel....?

I about had this happen to me last night. I had a squib that only went far enough into the barrel that it wouldn't allow the next round to completely seat (factory american eagle)... Thank god it didn't go further otherwise my new rifle would have exploded too....

Edited by midget