Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap red dot for Steel Challenge .22?

Pro2AInPA

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Midway has a cheap BSA that has worked well for the guys with whom I shoot steel challenge. BSA Huntsman Red Dot Sight 1x 30mm 5 MOA Red, Green and Blue Dot Plex Reticle with Integral 3/8" and Weaver-Style Mount Matte

Product #: 160108Manufacturer #: HMRGBD30CP $44.95

3.67 stars

Hope this helps.

Check Wal-Mart...I just picked up a Tasco 30mm red dot sight for about $35 and put it on a Ruger 10/22 for steel matches. Works good. Dot is a little small, but it works good enough for steel.

Of the cheap dots, BSA would probably be the best. Just a warning, all the ones I tried will wash out in brighter light, some of the dots will flicker, a lot lose their zero easy, etc.,etc.

I'm not trying to talk you into a Cmore or Deltapoint but just be warned, you get what you pay for. I got rid of all my cheap dots and use only the two mentioned previously. Good luck...

Check Wal-Mart...I just picked up a Tasco 30mm red dot sight for about $35 and put it on a Ruger 10/22 for steel matches. Works good. Dot is a little small, but it works good enough for steel.

Well enough until the dot disappears. They have a known issue with the battery contacts not contacting.

Don't want a C-More. Reason being there is a local just for fun USPSA type match every month that allows .22s. They must be holstered, however. My .22 fits my production holster, but wouldn't with a C-More. With a mini red dot, it would fit fine. I think a Burris Fastfire is about as much as I'd be willing to spend for the .22

look at primary arms.

Their aimpoint h-1 clone is pretty small and light. They also have a green dotted doctor clone. Not as cheap as the BSA stuff, but more affordable. The mini aimpoint knockoff is pretty solid and can be seen in bright light. I don't own the doctor clone, so can't say.

look at primary arms.

Their aimpoint h-1 clone is pretty small and light. They also have a green dotted doctor clone. Not as cheap as the BSA stuff, but more affordable. The mini aimpoint knockoff is pretty solid and can be seen in bright light. I don't own the doctor clone, so can't say.

I was all set to order one of their green dot docter clone, but they're out of stock til late July. I have one of their Aimpoint micro clones on an AR. It works. Maybe I'll go that route.

The NcStar works for us. We have them on our 22 steel challenge guns for over 2 years now with no issues.

I did just find the C-More Railway for 219.00 so I ordered one for my Buck Mark. I will put the NcStar on the 45 degree mount on my AR-15 for close in shots.

Edited by Bansheex

The NcStar works for us. We have them on our 22 steel challenge guns for over 2 years now with no issues.

I did just find the C-More Railway for 219.00 so I ordered one for my Buck Mark. I will put the NcStar on the 45 degree mount on my AR-15 for close in shots.

Wow, I'm surprised! I had an NCStar mini red dot and it broke in the first month I had it. First, it started dimming like crazy and you could not see it when it was bright outside and then the switch broke and I finally took it off and threw it away. That's when I purchased the DeltaPoint and love it. It has a lifetime warranty so I don't have to worry about it breaking...

Wow, I'm surprised! I had an NCStar mini red dot and it broke in the first month I had it. First, it started dimming like crazy and you could not see it when it was bright outside and then the switch broke and I finally took it off and threw it away. That's when I purchased the DeltaPoint and love it. It has a lifetime warranty so I don't have to worry about it breaking...

I did have a issue with the brightness control being off between the numbers. I called NcStar and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

Put a C More on my Ruger, might check on E Bay, one shooter here purchased a C More copy on E Bay looked good but we'll see how it holds up. Most of the cheaper scopes are trash in a few months, sometimes weeks even on 22's.

If you're willing to spend the cash for a Burris FF2, I would get it. I have one on my steel challenge 22/45 and it's not let me down at all. I had a C-more on that pistol originally but it's the plastic framed gun and the C-more was throwing my balance off. I tried the FF2 and loved the weight. The sight itself functions perfectly as well but it's a "bit" harder to pick up the dot than it is with a C-more so you'll need some practice to get the grip down good so it always shows up. Once I got that part down, I love the little sight.

I have read a few reviews on the mini and they were not doing to good. We use the red dot, with 7 settings. On setting 7 it works great in bright sunlight. The reason I'm getting the C-More for the 22 is that I have one on my 9mm open gun. I think using the same sight on both guns will help.

Don't want a C-More. Reason being there is a local just for fun USPSA type match every month that allows .22s. They must be holstered, however. My .22 fits my production holster, but wouldn't with a C-More. With a mini red dot, it would fit fine. I think a Burris Fastfire is about as much as I'd be willing to spend for the .22

Then what you need is this combo:

Allchin Ruger C-More mount

C-More Slide Ride or Railway

Black Dog HMK-01 Holster

The Allchin mount will place the C-More as low as possible, unless you get one of my 90 degree laydown mounts (not available to public yet). the holster will perfectly fit a 22/45 or Mk series with the Allchin rail and the optic as long as you don't have a VQ slip on comp on the barrel. If you have a TS Pac-lite upper and their screw on comp that will fit ( Tactical Solutions sells the holster).

The holster fits a Buckmark with the Allchin rail and C-More also.

Here's a pic of the newly installed C-More. I will be getting the Allchin mount for it.

IMG_0633-1.jpg

I would like to try Photoracer's custom mount on my 9mm Open gun!!!

Edited by Bansheex

• 3 weeks later...

Need to slap a red dot on my 22/45 Mk III for steel next month. Any suggestions for one that gets the job done for minimal outlay of cash? :cheers:

Get the Black Dog HMK-01 holster. Fits a 22/45/Mk III with a full red dot or C-More. Also fits a Buckmark with an Allchin rail and C-More.

Cheap is cheap! Don't waste the money. Wether you want a reflex or a tube get a high quality red dot. 8 or 10 MOA is ideal. None of what I use is available.

Tasco PDP5 (five size dots)

Aimpoint COMP XD (10 MOA)

Aimpoint CompC SM (7 MOA)