Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap red dot for Steel Challenge .22?

Pro2AInPA

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned it the hard way...I bought a 40 dollar dot sight for my 22 buckmark and it only lasted one practice match then something in the switch was loose that the dot disappears every time I shoot...Luckily, I was able to return it (MidwayUSA) and got me a C-more and never looked back...

You won't regret the C-More optic. Dillon sells them for 209.00 + shipping. Best price I have seen so far.

I found sighting in the Cmore to be aggravating. I follow the directions to the letter. I finally got it, but took me more rounds than I care to say. Any tricks to sighting them in?

You won't regret the C-More optic. Dillon sells them for 209.00 + shipping. Best price I have seen so far.

I found sighting in the Cmore to be aggravating. I follow the directions to the letter. I finally got it, but took me more rounds than I care to say. Any tricks to sighting them in?

Move the adjustments slow! I have four of them and I have noticed if I try to move the adjustments too much, then you are going back and forth. Once you get them locked in, they don't budge...

CR Speed holster works great with this gun, and should work great with any sight on most guns (I had to build my own barrel stud, but it works great for pins and plates.) So far, I was unhappy with the 4moa dot, and have been very happy with the 8moa dot.

P1000859.jpg

My 9mm Open gun has a 8moa, the Buck Mark has a 6moa. I don't think I would go smaller than 6, or larger than the 8. Just personal preference I guess.

Like gng4life said, the adjustments are very small once you have it on paper. We now have the C-More on all our steel guns!

Edited by Bansheex

CR Speed holster works great with this gun, and should work great with any sight on most guns (I had to build my own barrel stud, but it works great for pins and plates.) So far, I was unhappy with the 4moa dot, and have been very happy with the 8moa dot.

P1000859.jpg

But CR Speed is a waste of money since you are not allowed to draw in any rimfire event in any official match.

This Black Dog Holster will fit a MK II with C-more. Left or right hand. I have one, it works well,'nuff said.

Black_Dog_Mag_s__4bfdcfa043e1c_150x150.jpg

Tac-Sol

Will also work with a Buckmark if it has the Allchin rail to carry the C-More. You can even use the thread on comps with a Buckmark on this holster.

P1000859.jpg

But CR Speed is a waste of money since you are not allowed to draw in any rimfire event in any official match.

Many club matches around the country penalize "gun in hand" starts, even in the .22 division, hence the reason I converted the CR Speed holster for use with the Ruger .22. In my case, it was definitely not a waste of money.

The logic is that you don't need a good sight with a low recoiling 22. The truth is that most 22 auto's cycle very fast and since they are straight blow back there is nothing to slow them down except for chambering a round. Then they stop metal to metal at both ends of the stroke. This sets up a vibration that makes it difficult to keep mounts tight and is as hard if not harder on optics than the centerfire. Cheap red dot sights are junk and will make you unhappy sooner or later usually when you are shooting the best match ever.

Is a 5 moa dot to big to be used in steel challenge shooting?

Too small. You need at least 6 MOA and many prefer 8-12 MOA.

12 MOA for me.

12 or 16 for me, these are big steel plates so no need for precision

+1: 12MOA is the way to go.

For cheap red dots on .22's, I've tried the BSA, the Tasco and the Trijicon. The Trijicon was the most intense in bright sunlight.

The worst I ever tried was a Docter lookalike, I ripped it off after 3 minutes at the range. Could hardly see the dot and the windage adjustment broke rightaway. I gave it away so someone else could build an Open Tape Gun.

• 2 weeks later...

12 MOA for me.

You obviously don't shoot Ruger Rimfire events. And in my club's rimfire only events most of the steel is 4" only. We also use 4x8" plates laying on its side in our speed steel events. Sometimes right in front of a 12x18" stop plate.

I find using anything above 8 MOA that I have a hard time calling the shots if the red dot is so big I can't see where the shot went at speed.

12 MOA for me.

You obviously don't shoot Ruger Rimfire events. And in my club's rimfire only events most of the steel is 4" only. We also use 4x8" plates laying on its side in our speed steel events. Sometimes right in front of a 12x18" stop plate.

I find using anything above 8 MOA that I have a hard time calling the shots if the red dot is so big I can't see where the shot went at speed.

You are 100% correct! The question on this post was about Steel Challenge, not RRC.

12 MOA for me.

You are 100% correct! The question on this post was about Steel Challenge, not RRC.

Yeah but RRC is an outgrowth of SC. Targets are often smaller but stages are very similar although sometimes more spead out. Its no fluke that BJ went from winning the RRC World title to winning the WSSC in the same month. The 5 seconds he bettered the field in the Rimfire event went along way to help him win Steel Master based on the posted results.

He kicked everyones tail in the RRC pistol event by around 7 seconds and barely lost the rifle part to John Allchin.I shot 14th overall in the RRC pistol, which was better than I thought I could do.

Great discussion

I ended up throwing a bushnell TRS-25 (...I believe), on my 22/45 and love the thing. My dad threw one on his Buckmark with equally satisfying results.

For around $100, it gets the job done for cheapo IMO

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I also go with the older Aimpoint Comp3 etc. I have looked at the new PRO, dot too small and from what I hear, not as good as previous Aimpoints.

The big problem is that the biggest buyer of Red Dot sights is the <$50 market. You do get what you pay for. Buy anything made in Japan over any other part of Asia, but the quality is falling all over.

Of the old style Red Dots the PSP3 5MOA or PDP3CMP 10MOA are probably the best value for money. Not super cheap but pretty reliable over the years I have used them.

I am currently trying out a Trijicon RMR (non battery type) 9MOA on the shotgun and 7MOA on a Ruger Scout. Better than I expected as I don't usually get on with HUD type Red Dots, especially on handguns, less so on longguns. Don't like the tRijicon Tripower, shitty reticle when they have better reticles already in house.

I am however busting to get the new Green RMR. That may be my answer later this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Then what you need is this combo:

Allchin Ruger C-More mount

C-More Slide Ride or Railway

Black Dog HMK-01 Holster

The Allchin mount will place the C-More as low as possible, unless you get one of my 90 degree laydown mounts (not available to public yet). the holster will perfectly fit a 22/45 or Mk series with the Allchin rail and the optic as long as you don't have a VQ slip on comp on the barrel. If you have a TS Pac-lite upper and their screw on comp that will fit ( Tactical Solutions sells the holster).

The holster fits a Buckmark with the Allchin rail and C-More also.

Does anyone know if the C-More railway will fit on the stock rail that comes with the Ruger Mark III? If not, what mount do I need?

Thanx!