Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fiber optic getting dull

ive noticed as im sure many of you guys have that after a couple weeks my fiber optic begins to get a little dull and although cheap and simple to replace i discovered that if you just go over it with a lighter it melts and polishes all the little scuffs off the fiber optic making it nice and bright again.

• 7 months later...

ive noticed as im sure many of you guys have that after a couple weeks my fiber optic begins to get a little dull and although cheap and simple to replace i discovered that if you just go over it with a lighter it melts and polishes all the little scuffs off the fiber optic making it nice and bright again.

I've noticed the same thing over what seems to be a pretty small amount of time, thanks for the tip :cheers:

Now that you mention it they do seem to dull pretty fast seems like I like it dull better as I can use it when needed to draw my attention to the front sight for closer fast shots but I can focus on the top of my sight better and have noticed I can shoot more precise when I dont have that bright dot distacting me.

• 2 weeks later...

I used a harsh chemical bath to clean the slide on a G34 a while back. After it was dull and very dim. A couple swipes with the lighter, and presto...Good as new!

When installing a new FO rod I always cut it a bit too long. That way when heated up, it bubbles up on each side to almost the width of the blade. I figure the more FO I can have the better...Keeping in mind not to exceed the with of the front sight though...

Have others noticed a difference in FO from different suppliers? I've tried to go to all "red" sights, and I've noticed that some "red" FO seems more orange or pink than red. Where is the place to get bright red FO?

Have others noticed a difference in FO from different suppliers? I've tried to go to all "red" sights, and I've noticed that some "red" FO seems more orange or pink than red. Where is the place to get bright red FO?

I've used Hi-Viz, Dawson, Novak, and Warren's FO tubes. Hi-Viz and Warren look red to me. Dawson looks a little pink. For green, Hi-Viz looks more yellow when compared to Novak's green FO tube. I would say the diameter of the tube would be the biggest variable when it comes to brightness. I prefer Dawson, Novak, and Warren when it comes to FO front sights since they don't use a proprietary tube design like Hi-Viz...

• 4 weeks later...

I will have to try that today. I want to change mine to green too. What do you do, cut it and melt the ends to replace?

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?btepnj

Cut the rod slightly longer than what you need. Melt the ends back carefully to fit in place and secure. I've also put a small amt of super glue also at the bottom of the rod for extra security. I've learned to do this also after some rods have fallen out.

Jeff

it makes me a little envious when i'm sticking in a new fiber(my gun was shipped with a 6 inch peice of fiber) and I have it inserted so that I can cut and melt off the side opposite the muzzle first.

I always take a glance at it and with 6 inches of fiber sticking ou tthe other end, the sight looks like it has a small green lightsaber in it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to have my first FO front sight arrive any day now, so does it make any difference whether you do the gun side or barrel end side first when putting in the FO & having it melt in place?

My advice would be to clean the F/O rod with a q-tip and alcohol as long as it's still tight. Only use the lighter if it's worked it's way loose within the sight. The more heat you apply, the more brittle it becomes....at least in my experience.

I'm about to have my first FO front sight arrive any day now, so does it make any difference whether you do the gun side or barrel end side first when putting in the FO & having it melt in place?

I like to stick the fiber optic through the sight, melt the end towards the rear of the side (that you look at) and pull the fiber optic rod until the melted blob is in the recess of the sight. This makes the smaller size dot that I like, if you want larger you don't pull it quite as far in the recess. Use nail clippers and clip the muzzle end of the rod to leave a slight 1/8" past the sight. Hit that with the lighter and it snugs the rod tight in the sight.

I like to stick the fiber optic through the sight, melt the end towards the rear of the side (that you look at) and pull the fiber optic rod until the melted blob is in the recess of the sight. This makes the smaller size dot that I like, if you want larger you don't pull it quite as far in the recess. Use nail clippers and clip the muzzle end of the rod to leave a slight 1/8" past the sight. Hit that with the lighter and it snugs the rod tight in the sight.

I do the same. It gets you the small, clean, perfectly round dot that Dawson mentioned in the video, (though he did it with the counterbore), it wedges the rod in nicely without the need for any adhesive, and it allows you to use the top of the front blade as originally intended for a notch and post sight, giving you the option of a non-burned out, sharp, precisely aligned sight picture for those extra tough shots.

I have found that the end of the fiber never melts quite on center. So I melt the back end that you see when shooting first. Then with the long part hanging out the front, I twirl the fiber around until I get it exactly equal on both sides. The offset will be either up or down, whichever looks best. Then put a finger on that end to keep it from turning and clip and melt the front side.