Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

L-10-- Single Stack or Wide Body?

TriggerT

I was wondering how many people who shoot L-10 do so with either a single stack, or a high cap, and in what caliber. Also, what class are you in. What I am looking to find out, is if the higher classified L-10 shooters are using one style of gun, and one caliber more than any other.

I will start--

L-10 A (Just made it) Les Baer single stack Monolith in .45ACP.

L10, Kimber Gold Match Single Stack, 45.

Those FAT guns feel too weird in my hand!

I didn’t join IPSC and then look around for a gun; I’ve been shooting SS 45s for years and was looking for a sport I could use it in. My goal isn’t to win HOA but to be the best SS 45 gun handler I can possibly be! I have absolutely NO use for plastic guns (yes, that includes S_I) but then hey, I’m a dinosaur and my taste in guns is firmly entrenched in the mid fifties! I do regularly get whooped on by plastic aficionados but that’s okay… see above.

Ed

Limited-10

C Class

1911A1 single stack in .45ACP (a Kimber Classic as of late)

I started shooting a single stack after my home club started having monthly 1911 Society Matches years ago. I started in USPSA/IPSC shooting a Para-Ordnance P14.45, but I found I enjoyed shooting Limited with a single stack gun more. Some people say you "have" to reload more, but I saw it as I had the opportunity to practice reloading more often during the match.

When Limited-10 came along, I just made the lateral move with the same equipment.

There are several threads on the fat vs. skinny gun issue in L10. I have used both. I used a Fat Free 6 inch .40 STI from Benny Hill and later on I used a Les Baer PII in .45 ACP. Now I use a single stack exclusively because all of the L10 shooters locally are shooting single stack pistols or a production gun like a Glock. For me, the fat gun has a slight advantage because I can reload it faster.

(Soon to be) B-Class in L10. I just use my Limited Hicaps; I don't see any reason to get a single stack just to shoot the division when my Paras will do. Of course, if I really need an excuse to buy another gun, well... ;)

Guys, please remember to post what CLASS you are in L-10. Again, I am not only trying to see what type of guns people are using, but how that in in relation to what class they are in. Thanks.

Tim, AKA TriggerT

A class limited widebody

B class L-10. Got the initial B classification with a Kimber .45 SS, then got my limited gun (STI) and continued to shoot L-10 with that, as I didn't want to shoot unclassified in Limited at the few majors I'm able to attend. On the edge of making A in L-10. When I do it will be with a Colt 10mm our own Sam (Bonedaddy) rebarreled to .40 and fitted with a magwell. The nice thing about practicing with a SS is that when you switch back to a widebody, it feels like you are cheating on the reloads (phrase borrowed without permission from Sam). I'll shoot the SS in L-10 from now on. If I ever beat Ron or Sam, I want it to be on an even playing field! :lol:

By the way guys, don't sweat me beating you any time soon.

Trigger, I shoot Lim-10 exclusively with a singlestack. Right now, I'm "A" class Lim-10. It's very interesting, all my Lim-10 classifier scores are right aroung 84%. My Limted scores are everywhere from 60% to 100% with my hi-cap STI. I just don't get frisky when shooting the singlestack. It is an IDPA legal gun and it takes more attention to shoot it well, so I guess I pay more attention. As far as the reloads go, the ss is about .10 slower because I'm more cautious. The vast majority of my practice is with the ss gun.

John, you're just like a great big alligator. Always there, eyeballs and snout just above the waterline, waiting for some hapless "M" class shooter to get complacent. You are a great motivator and a true friend. Someday soon you'll spank both Ron and me. Just make it quick and painless, OK? :lol:

Currently "C" class L-10 but am under-classed. I got my L-10 classification with a G-21 but had a Caspian SS .45 built late last year and have been practicing with it steadily.Thanks in great part to this forum, I have practiced and acquired the skills to move up and I proved that to myself at a classifer match this weekend. I WILL have my “B” card within two months and hopefully will make “A” before the year is out. :)

C-class L10 with a Springfield TRP Operator .45 single stack (but I'm one classifier away from moving up to B ).

I recently got a widebody STI and reloading this thing feels like cheating compared to the SS. However, I don't have enough mags to use this thing in L10 right now (I carry 6-7 with the SS and I only have 4 for the STI).

I'm shooting a SS Springfield, and I'm C L10, but that C was done shooting minor with my CZ, so I don't know if it counts. I am doing a lot better with the Springer :wub:

Vlad