Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reusing Empty Powder Bottles

I did a search but only came up with what people use em for, i.e flotation devices, used primer catcher,etc.

Anyone here reuses them and puts different powder in them than what's labeled on the bottle? Given that you do put a post-it note or masking tape around the original label and mark what's inside the bottle?

I have some empty 1lb bottles of IMR 700X and was thinking of putting TG in them. Good or bad idea?

I did a search but only came up with what people use em for, i.e flotation devices, used primer catcher,etc.

Anyone here reuses them and puts different powder in them than what's labeled on the bottle? Given that you do put a post-it note or masking tape around the original label and mark what's inside the bottle?

I have some empty 1lb bottles of IMR 700X and was thinking of putting TG in them. Good or bad idea?

(Disclaimer) According to the reloading manuals....Bad Idea.

(Personally) I use empty 1lb bottles wrapped in masking tape and labeled with magic marker for TG instead of dealing with the big jugs to fill my press.

I also use them (after pulling the labels off) to transport match ammo. They are the perfect size for one match worth of 9mm plus a bit extra for re-shoots and takes up less space than a bullet box.

Just pull the label off and fill 'em up. You can label them with a Sharpie and some West Virgina Chrome (duct tape). I store oatmeal, black beans and pasta, rotini to be specific, in my used Tite Group containers.

Recycling? To some extent...I have an old WW231 can, I think its a 5 lb can, full of used primers. My main rifle powder I buy in 8 lb bottles, I fill an empty 1 lb container with the same powder, and use that in my powder measure, and pour the powder back into the smaller container when I'm through for the day, always the same powder though. All the rest of the 1 lb containers get pitched.

I have one that used to contain IMR 4895 that now contains H4895. I removed the label completely, installed a new label and marked the lid with a sharpie.

I figure it the label comes off or I forget what was in it, I'll just pitch it.

(Personally) I use empty 1lb bottles wrapped in masking tape and labeled with magic marker for TG instead of dealing with the big jugs to fill my press.

I also use them (after pulling the labels off) to transport match ammo. They are the perfect size for one match worth of 9mm plus a bit extra for re-shoots and takes up less space than a bullet box.

Ditto

Just pull the label off and fill 'em up. You can label them with a Sharpie and some West Virgina Chrome (duct tape). I store oatmeal, black beans and pasta, rotini to be specific, in my used Tite Group containers.

"West Virgina Chrome" :roflol::roflol:

I was just thinking about this since I have several empty 1lb retumbo cans laying around from the .338 LM loading (1lb does not last long). I'm thinking about using the to bring home my spent .40 S&W range brass. Using a bag leaves the chance you could smash them, in a hard plastic bottle would protect them better in transit.

1lb. power jugs are made for storing powder. I have an empty one I use to fill up my powder measure. I labeled it with a label maker and I made sure all the old powder was out of it before I started using it. I put different powders in my powder trickler, and in my powder pan on my scale. I just make sure it is empty before puting in a different powder. Storing power in a container designed for gun powder is the way to do it. Just make sure you rip off the old label and put on a new label. If the label comes off somehow, ditch the powder.

Randy

When I try a new powder, I usually have a 1 lb can. If I like the new powder, I now have 4 or larger lb can. I use the 'trial size' jug to fill the measure, filling it from the economy size. Same powder, same label. NO PROBLEM.

I do not think I would for a minute put, let's say 3N38 into a can marked N320 and put a tape label on it. That is a recipe for disaster.

As for using the economy size for spent primers or bullets or loaded ammo, no problem with that, even use them for drain oil from the lawn mower. BUT NEVER for other powder.

My thoughts, yours might vary.

When I try a new powder, I usually have a 1 lb can. If I like the new powder, I now have 4 or larger lb can. I use the 'trial size' jug to fill the measure, filling it from the economy size. Same powder, same label. NO PROBLEM.

I do not think I would for a minute put, let's say 3N38 into a can marked N320 and put a tape label on it. That is a recipe for disaster.

As for using the economy size for spent primers or bullets or loaded ammo, no problem with that, even use them for drain oil from the lawn mower. BUT NEVER for other powder.

My thoughts, yours might vary.

+1

I use them as water bottles. Tastes a little funny at first, but then your GTG! I have stores and stores of them in my bunker full of water AND powder. That way only I know which is which. :ph34r: I also start tomatoes, beans, squash, cabbage, and onions in them in my greenhouse. I might start using them to store salted meat in for the mean winters we get here. I think it got down to 50 last winter. Cant believe we made it out of it alive!

JZ

I use them for match ammo. They hold around 200 38sc or 250 9mm for me. It's easier to dump a handful to load than to fish them out of the boxes. It's also awesome for getting lots of funny questions and comments about why you load that particular ammo with whatever bottle it ended up in. I always just look at the label and say, it works great.

I have one that used to contain IMR 4895 that now contains H4895. I removed the label completely, installed a new label and marked the lid with a sharpie.

I figure it the label comes off or I forget what was in it, I'll just pitch it.

Or burn it!

:D

I wouldnt feel comfortable putting a different powder into another empty bottle. Just not worth the potential for disaster. Maybe the same powder into a smaller bottle; i.e. filling an empty 1 lb bottle from a 4 or 8 pound jug. My empty 8lb and 4 lb jugs go right into the plastic recycling center.