Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would be your limited gun build?

XDman

Cant believe it but the wife said I should get a second limited gun! OMG! So what would your ideal Limited set up be? If you read my other posts I shoot an STI for limited, and am considering staying with that platform but not sure if I want to go with an STI build or one from Dawson, or even Brazos or one of the other big names.

But in your reply, dont just stick with the STI. I am noticing a few Glock and XD's in limited at our range. So what would it be?

I have a Brazos Limited and could not be happier. Have about 18,000 rounds and never missed a beat. I would not hesitate to get another, O wait I am

it is a Open gun. Only thing is I have to wait until Dec.

My favorite limited gun is a Dawson HPF Edge (hard chromed), I prefer the heavier set up over the light slide Brazos or even the SVI I had that was similar but not as light as the Brazos. Just my preference.

I won two XD's shot one I few rpunds, its not a gun I could shoot fast, sold both. Pick one up at the gun shop, push down on the barrel hood, lots of movement.

If you want to try something similar but different, then try an Eagle platform, std slide with a bushing barrel. Thats what one of the local GM's shoot and he wins lots of matches.

While I shoot mostly open, I'm have dreams about a 6" limited gun, lots of cuts on the slide with a bushing barrel.

First of all, I would stick with the same barrel length as your other so that your ammo might make about the same PF out of either. That way you only have one type of ammo to inventory and if you have to switch guns at a match, you don't have to also switch ammo.

If you're really experienced (A/M class) and you know your current limited gun is working well for you, get something with a similar weight configuration so that the timing will be the same between both guns. In this case one will be the backup to the other at a major match.

If you're still learning (C/D class) get the opposite of your current gun so that you can learn the differences between a heavier gun (Edge) and a lighter gun (Brazos w/ short dust cover). In this case you proceed understanding that one will be sold eventually because the other fits your style better.

If I had to build one today on a 1911 HC platform it would be;

#1 6" Caspian frame bushing barrel

#2 6" Springfield frame(Forged) bushing barrel using SV mags

#3 6" SV steel grip bushing barrel

For slides SV or Caspian and for kicks have a 5" top end fitted.

There would be no others considered.

Non 1911 platform

#1 Springfield XDm full on custom

#2 Tanfoglio Ltd Pro SA

#3 Tanfoglio 6" Hunter in .40

No other platforms considered.

Rich

two five inch guns have about as much chance of shooting the same velocity as a 5 and a 6, even if the longer barrel was faster you could still keep using the 5 " ammo,

There is noting a 5 inch gun can do a 6 inch gun cant do better.

So is the trend in Limited towards a 6in barrelled gun? if so why?

Since I have an STI already, I would prefer to keep the same platform.

Thought about a stock STI, or maybe a Dawson tuned STI, or maybe a Brazos, or even on the outer limits a Limcat.

So many choices. Maybe just have Rich build me one on an STI frame?

I think there is a trend towards 6" guns, I've been to 3 bigger matches in my area and they are definitly being run. They are a different breed from years ago there slides are chopped up to get the same weight as a 5" gun with a longer sight plain. I'm not building a Limited gun but a SStack with both a 5" and a 6" topend.

There is noting a 5 inch gun can do a 6 inch gun cant do better.

How about fit in an IPSC standard box?

I agree that there are some advantages to a 6 inch but we generally do not see the distances to truly take advantage of them.

If you like what you have just get another one or have one built with similar specs. Outside of reliability, the gun does not make a difference.

I currently have a brazos hp edge and would get another one in a heartbeat if I had the permission slip signed!

Brian

Since the OP is running an STI I would suggest sticking with the same platform. It depends on your preference and shooting ability; 5" or 6", heavy or light. Lots of great builders out there; I'm running a 5" Brazos Plus series limited gun with slide lightening and a fat long dustcover. Couldnt be happier. This is my 2nd Brazos limited gun; both have been 100% reliable (not counting mag and ammo issues), accurate and well fit. The gun is definitely not holding me back; its my spotty shitty shooting :roflol:

If I buy another limited gun I may go to a 6" with a lightened slide (Open beckons so probably be a while). So many great builders to choose from but I would lean toward Brazos again to build it.

I'd wait a little while and get a 6" sight tracker (they will eventually be legal, right?)

Possibly on a Caspian frame to go with my current 6" Caspian or maybe on a steel SV frame

Edited by waktasz