Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My dog Mollie beating the odds...

BayouSlide

After three incredibly tense days, it looks like my pal Mollie may have narrowly escaped liver failure after her run in with some unknown (though I'm guessing it was sago palm) environmental poison. The blood test this morning shows liver functioning is approaching more normal levels. No more IVs for my girl, just a bunch of pills for the next week and another blood test Tuesday. She's a little bored since she'll have to forgo her three mile morning walks with us until she mends a little, but she was been given a Rx by her vet to chase the occasional cat or squirrel :D

Not a recent photo, but my ol' girl is looking much like this photo now, except for a foreleg shave from her IV.

Curtis

post-9477-039827500 1306610881_thumb.jpg

Edited by BayouSlide

i dont know much about dog habits, but is something missing in her diet ? There are certain plants that are toxic to horses but they almost never eat them unless they are lacking a nutrient or have some kinda gastro issue. Have you figured out the why and how so it doesnt happen again ?

i dont know much about dog habits, but is something missing in her diet ? There are certain plants that are toxic to horses but they almost never eat them unless they are lacking a nutrient or have some kinda gastro issue. Have you figured out the why and how so it doesnt happen again ?

Mollie's a bit of a forager...she ended up on my doorstep 2 1/2 years ago as a stray/abandoned with heartworms and a broken leg. She likes to chew and every morning she checks out the front yard as I go out to get the paper.

We dug up a portion of a sago palm at the edge of the yard last weekend and my best guess is that she may have snatched up a piece of bark or leaves that weren't picked up. Sago palms are cyanids, extremely poisonous to animals and humans, but are said to have a flavor that is very attractive to canines. Mollie and the sago had co-existed well until now...it's going to be removed and the area where it grew covered with earth. I'm not letting her anywhere near it in the interim.

:cheers:

Curtis

Curtis-

You might not remember me, but I worked the Double Tap with you in the snow: good news on beating the odds.

dan

Sure do, Dan...great to hear from you. No way I'll every forget that match...it was the stuff of legends!

Thanks to everyone...it's great to share some good news. Mollie's curled up on her cushion on the floor at my feet and looking forward to a short stroll in the park today. She's used to a 3 mile hike with us every morning so she's probably wondering why we're such wimps the last few days and when things are going to get back to normal.

:cheers:

Curtis

Great to hear this Curtis! :cheers: As an aside, we seem to both have Australian Cattle Dogs. I sure love my girl, her name is Abby, and if your girl is anything like her, she will be more than happy to get out and boogie.

Nice to know your companion will be around longer.