Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Protection

I use the custom molded ear plugs. I have terrible ringing in my ears and these cancel out the most noise for me. For electronic, I use Pro ears, only because they have an auto shut off. My peltors were always dead when I pulled them out of the bag.

I alternate between ESP analog ear plugs and the Pro Ears Gold. Both are pricey, but I lost enough hearing from being stupid when I was younger (musician standing too close to mains) and a few hundred dollars to keep the horde of cicadas in my head from getting louder is a small price to pay!

I need to get something better

I tried the EHP hearing protection muff and after matches the ringing was horrible. I have gone back to just regular muffs, but even after matches for the next day or two the ringing is horrible and the pressure is real bad.

I was thinking about the Surefire plugs and then the Pro Ears on top of it

custom molded ear plugs because rifle & shotgun shooting with cans on just doesn't work . . .I keep bumping them off when I get a good cheek weld.

I currantly have 4-5 pairs, one in range bag, one at my desk, one in my go everywhere bail out back pack, and a couple in the armory.

I find the molded oones more comfotable than the foamies.

for just pistol shooting I will then go back to Ear Pro's

I have two sets of the EAR brand custom molded plugs (one with ports and one without - http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php ) and a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs and I double plug.

I also keep a set of the Surefire EP4's in my truck just in case I run into something that is loud and I need them.

Edited by Classic_jon

If you can get the custom ear plugs (like the ones Manny Bragg does), you can get him to make them flush to your ear. That will allow you to wear electronic ears and basically hear somewhat well, yet double-plugged.

I personally like the Pro-Ears Gold version because I can hook up my IPod Shuffle to it - and yes, still hear it okay while double-plugged.

Custom molded plugs for rifle and shotgun. I have some molded plugs with a sonic valve that I wear for instructing. I really like the sonic valve plugs with electronic cans for RO-ing. I like being able to hear a little bit more when I'm running the line, but I don't like getting blown out when someone shoots that high powered factory ammo stuff. :lol:

I wear MSA Sordin earmuffs. I can use them shooting rifles also without contact with the stock on my ARs and sniper rifles.

I also like the MSA Sordins. Arguably the best electronics available, and the battery life is Aimpoint-like. However, if you're in an enclosed space with your competition muzzle brake, you might be well-served to have plugs underneath!

custom molded plugs from Perfect Seal. get cast at a match, the take em back and make em up and mail em to you. and keep your mold on file so you can order more later on when you accidentally lose the ones you have. <_<

Another +1 for MSA Sordins... I've got the older Supreme Pros. I got them because they were waterproof and fit under an ACH.

For IDPA, I usually just use Surefire EP3 plugs.

When the SBR or braked rifles come out, I use both.

-Randy

ESP analog ear plugs. They will cost you about the same as a new shotgun but once you have a pair, you will realize how stupid you were not to buy them earlier. While the molded in plugs are good, they get uncomfortable after an hour or two and these do not. Unlike muffs, they do not add to your heat index in the southern summer. Best of all what is "in" the ear does not interfer with your hat or glasses or your mount of the gun.

Depending on where I am I might add muffs if I am shooting pistol.

Like most here I have several options. MSA Sordin Supreme Pros , ESP Analog plugs, custom molded rubber plugs, Surefire EP3 and EP4 ear defenders, foamies etc.

MSA Sordins

Pros....absolutely stunning audio quality, great battery life, comfortable, easily able to get a good cheek weld for me compared to other muffs, durable (for me), easy to use for conversing during other shooters runs

Cons...they require gel ear pads for better NRR and comfort, goofy battery change because I always screw up the + - order (on me), hot in the summer

ESP Analog Plugs

Pros.... light and cool year round, no interference with long guns, decent sound quality, easy to use for conversation during shooting

Cons...sound quality is not as good as Sordins (wish I would have sprung for the digitals), somewhat difficult to adjust sound level, $$$ spendy for analog sound, for some reason cause my ears to produce a lot more wax than other in ear hearing pro.

Custom Molded Earplugs

Pros....excellent NRR and protection, comfortable even in hot weather, no interference with long guns, reasonable price for a custom fit

Cons...difficult conversation, more difficult to hear range commands, start buzzer etc

Surefire EP3 and EP4

Pros..... inexpensive and comfortable with no interference for long guns

Cons.... for me there is not nearly enough NRR, I recently wore them for a rifle stage and came away with my ears ringing. It could just be something related to my anatomy but I have relegated them to my helmet at work for when I need a little earpro on scene.

Foamies

Pros..... inexpensive, comfortable, downright cheap, no long gun interference, and good NRR, easily kept in every available nook and cranny for ease of use and availability

Cons.... difficult conversation or range commands

MSA Sordins

Pros....absolutely stunning audio quality, great battery life, comfortable, easily able to get a good cheek weld for me compared to other muffs, durable (for me), easy to use for conversing during other shooters runs

Cons...they require gel ear pads for better NRR and comfort, goofy battery change because I always screw up the + - order (on me), hot in the summer

Yes indeed, once you try the gel ear pads on the Sordins, you'll never go back! They are that good, and should really be standard equipment on the Sordins!

I like good old ear plugs. If I wear muffs I feel hot and head heavy. My head is big enough as it is. I don't need to add 2 or 3 inches to both sides. I want a set of custom plugs but haven't had the money.

I like good old ear plugs. If I wear muffs I feel hot and head heavy. My head is big enough as it is. I don't need to add 2 or 3 inches to both sides. I want a set of custom plugs but haven't had the money.

+1. Regular ear plugs work great for me.

The flanged ones we used in the army were even better.

I have a pair of custom ear plugs from my audiologist, and another pair w. a valve for hunting, also from my audiologist. I'm very happy w. them. I throw on some HL muffs if I'm shooting open, or if someone's shooting something really obnoxious, but the plugs are usually fine.

MSA Sordin with Gel Pads. You can even plug your I-pod into it while you are waiting for your turn to shoot.

Them being waterproof came in very handy at the CMMG Mid-West 3-gun.

Edited by Brian Payne

I use the Surefire Ear Plugs. Even without closing the stopper plugs which provide futher protection, it does very well with my 308 with a muzzle brake.

For cooler weather and only cooler weather as I heat up easily, I use a Peltor Tactical 6.

Picked up the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X today. Turns out there's a dealer in industrial noise and comunication equipment right down the street. These things are built very rugged and are just a little bit heavier, though more comfortable than my old Peltor Tac6 that don't work so well. I wore them outside today for a couple oh hours doing some work around the house. Forgot I had them on after a while. I got them with the gell pads. I did not find them hot at all, and today was in the high 90's. www.srstactical.com is the website for these guys.