Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Protection

Another + 1 for the MSA Sordins. I do use plugs underneath them, but they are awesome. I had used ear plugs alone for years and recently broke down and bought a set of the MSA Sordins and have been very pleased. You can turn them up to where you can continue to here range commands even if you are doubling up on ear pro. Only problem I continue to have with ear muffs is getting them to seal tight with glasses on. Guess this is a never ending battle. Gel inserts help some with this problem, not to mention a lot more comfortable.

Another + 1 for the MSA Sordins. I do use plugs underneath them, but they are awesome. I had used ear plugs alone for years and recently broke down and bought a set of the MSA Sordins and have been very pleased. You can turn them up to where you can continue to here range commands even if you are doubling up on ear pro. Only problem I continue to have with ear muffs is getting them to seal tight with glasses on. Guess this is a never ending battle. Gel inserts help some with this problem, not to mention a lot more comfortable.

I recently read about the ESS Suppressor line which has super thin temples. If you have a prescription, IIRC you can get RX inserts for it too. I don't have them so no personal experience with them, just passing along the info:

http://www.esseyepro.com/Suppressor_detail.html

Edited by esskay

I currently use peltor sound traps. They have a very low profile and have separate volume adjustment knobs for each ear. When shooting indoors, I double bag with foamies.

I found that prolonged use of molded ear plugs and surfires cause me headaches.

Howard Leight impact sports are AMAZING!!! Coupled with a foamie its unstoppable. You can still hear due to the volume control. In my job we use concusion grenades while doing tactics and the last thing that I need is to get my bell rung... I've never had a problem with them and they are rather cheap $50... I'll pay that to keep my hearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Living in Houston heat is a major downfall of Muffs. I was in the Kansas City Cabelas last week and they now have a Walker Ear hearing center, manned by a licensed audiologist. He fitted me for custom molded plugs and will have them mailed to my home address in 2 - 3 weeks. Not sure if other Cabelas Have same set up but he did mention that they are in many Sam's clubs as well. By the way, the plugs rate at NR 29 - 34 depending upon how good the mold is.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of the Sordins. For me it's easy to hear what's going on around me during the match and they're not overly hot. With the gel ear pads I get a good seal over my Oakley's. When shooting a rifle or indoors I double up with some of the Surefire plugs.

I go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the big 180 count of foam plugs. Then I put them in an empty flintstones vitamin jar in my range bag. I throw a pair out at the end of the day.

I find that, even though these are cheap, they have not diminished my ability to selectively hear only some of what my wife is saying.

Tyler,

Get yourself a set of custom plugs. As much as you have to wear them, they are cheap per minute worn. The problem with ear plugs the you squish into your ear, or muffs, is that they bother you an some way, and you forever want to take them off/out. The second you do, they are useless. Someone shoots near you, and there go a few nerves. Custom earplugs are comfortable enough to wear all day, and effective enough the I usually have to crack one loose when I score (as you well know). Most studies show that they are the most effective hearing protection.

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

I like plain old foam plugs. The rubber/plastic flanged plugs hurt my ears after a while. I've tried a couple kinds of muffs but they all had problems. I couldnt get a good cheapweld with long guns, my glasses would not let them seal properly and they trapped sweat when it was 100degrees outside, like it is for most of my shooting seasion.

I got a pair of EAR Inc. "insta-molds" this week and tried them out for a match yesterday. Very pleased. I can't measure it, but they seem to be more effective and comfortable than the foamies I used before. Also got a pair for my son - so that's my endorsement. The local EAR guy came by our house to do the molds and then mailed the finals to us a couple days later. About $60/pair.

• 1 month later...

It seems a lot of people are UNDER protected. I am amazed at some of the cheap, ineffective, bad fitting and /or improperly worn hearing protection people wear. I read the above, looked up the MSA products. They look nice and I love the gel ear pad idea but the protection rating I found was 18 to 22 dB, NOT very much. I shoot a lot inside with Pro Ears 33dB [which is a whole lot more protection] and I don't think that is near enough so I use plugs also.

II really like my MSA Sordin supreme pros. They don't quite have enough protection for small indoor environments, so I just double plug and it's perfect. I found that the gel earpads really helped seal around glasses noticeably better than the stock foam pads did.

I liked them much better than the pro ears golds that I tried on before. Even though it's rated for a lower db, I've never been uncomfortable outdoors with them on.

I just double plug, set a foamies and Eletronic muffs (so you can hear the buzzer), Foamies by themselves are 31-33NPR which is good for sound FEQ, but isn't enough to stop the pressure that hits the ear. So I recommend to also wear a good set of muffs. now the trick is to learn how to shoot a rifle with them on :wacko: