Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Practice target

Iggy42

In an effort to save some cash in the long run and make my life a little easier at the range I have been thinking of getting a steel target of some kind to practice with. Problem is that as a USPSA shooter I don't have a clue as to what would give me the most bang for the buck so to speak. Basically what I am looking for ideas on is if you had to choose only one steel target to use in your practice sessions, what would you choose? My first thought was a steel version of the USPSA standard cut-out, but I am unsure if that would work well enough with the wide range of target that are used these days (plates, poppers, etc etc etc)

Get the full size standard USPSA target (with the head). You then can paint circles or popper outlines on it for variety.

That was what I was thinking, I just didn't know if anyone else had some other insights.

Get the full size standard USPSA target (with the head). You then can paint circles or popper outlines on it for variety.

That was what I was thinking, I just didn't know if anyone else had some other insights.

I like the MGMs variety of the IPSC BCC's (is that right?). I can paint them as I want.

My favorite practice steel is a 2/3 scale metric target with the A zone cut out and a separate steel behind the cut out.

Gives me instant feed back for anything outside the A -- I usually paint all but the A

Yes, I made it myself, but should be easy for any of the steel makers.

Sherwyn

My favorite practice steel is a 2/3 scale metric target with the A zone cut out and a separate steel behind the cut out.

Gives me instant feed back for anything outside the A -- I usually paint all but the A

Sherwyn

This is a great idea, do you have a picture?

Not any way one steel target will make anyone happy for more than 1000 rounds

Do like Flex. says until you can get more steel , Or get more active with a club so that you can use the club steel.

Your comment on "Save some cash" , :roflol: that was funny

OH Wait I got an even funnier one. to save "Cash" buy one target from MGM its two targets in one that Spins when you hit it with a good pattern to keep it moving

That Target is a "REAL Cash Saver" :roflol: or bullet sucking device designed by the devil

Edited by AlamoShooter

Sherwyn

This is a great idea, do you have a picture?

post-4241-068246500 1306977967_thumb.jpg

The A-zone options that have been mentioned are the only way I'd do much dedicated practice on steel. Other than that, I find I get sloppy shooting on steel. Big steel lets you get away with "just hitting it".

• 5 weeks later...

I had Drazy build me some steel challenge type targets with the 2X4 bracket and springs, But they were the same size as a USPSA A zone. This has really helped me with my rushing the second shot problem. If you can hit controlled pairs from 25 yards on 4 of these every time, you know you are doing things right.

I made some sets of targets that work very well. I was going to market them, but have not got around to it yet. I have a website setup but that's as far as I have got, and now being out of work I really have to move on that!

If interested, shoot me a PM

Edited by Bansheex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an idea, but if I could do it, I would do this:

Option 1) Get a standard USPSA target, cut out the A zone in the cardboard. Get one of those A zone steel targets, or make one yourself. Put the steel behind the cardboard target. That way, if you get anything but an A, you won't hit the steel. If you hear steel, you shot an A.

Option 2) Get a standard USPSA target, and an A zone steel plate. Put the plate behind the A zone, but leave the USPSA target alone. With this option, you will be sighting in on the cardboard, not the steel, just like the matches. If you hear steel, you shot an A.

Edited by polizei1

I am with Flex on that it is easy to get sloppy with. I only use steel to practice for steel challenge or transition drills. 12" plates are easy to get sloppy on, I recommend 6-8" and don't just keep them at 10yds. Move those puppies back to the 20 or further!

Remember to trust your sight picture with steel and do not wait for the visual or audible. If you fall into that habbit you are costing yourself a lot of time, especially if there is a lot of steel or it is a SC Match.

I also recommend GT Targets, another sponsor here! That is all I have used and Karl had them to me within 3 days.

GT Targets

GT Targets BEnos subforum

Brian

To our OP, I don't know what Proficiency level you're at...

If you can't visually call your shots now, practicing on steel now may actually hurt you in the long run. You can't or shouldn't rely on an auditory feedback or confirmation of a hit. You may engrain a bad habbit.

I would suggest going to lowe's or home depot and buying a big roll of brown craft paper and cutting targets out of that if you can't scrounge the shot up ones after a match. Use some quarter inch plywood and cut out a USPSA shaped target

Use that as a template and use and an Xactko or utility knife to cut around your plywood template.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...