Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally

Shooter Grrl

I signed up for the email list on the Shooting USA website and got my first message today...

Message from Jim Scoutten:

Outdoor Life Network has published the schedule for Shooting USA.

The first show will premiere the week of May 18th with Championship Series coverage of the Smith & Wesson IDPA Winter Championship.

We’ve got more information and the air times posted on at www.ShootingUSA.com

It’s been a long time coming, but we’re finally ready for you to see Shooting USA Television.

Best regards for the holiday,

Jim Scoutten

JimScoutten@ShootingUSA.com

Lemme get this straight. The USPSA National Championships were like in Aug/September.......and what's going on air first are the IDPA Winter Champs.

What's wrong with this picture? <_<

Eric,

that could be last year's Winter Nationals (I've been shooting that match just long enough to have a shirt that still says that --- before they decided there was only going to be one NATS, and the S&W match was renamed a Winter Championship) unless Scouten and crew were there for this one too...

Okay ... they have exclusive rights to the big USPSA matches, and all they're showing for the whole season is the factory gun nationals? What's up with that? :angry:

I certainly hope our illustrious president didn't sign over exclusive rights for more than one year. I suspect we'd get better coverage from Mr. Bane's "Shooting Gallery" if he ever gets the chance to do it. :(

I agree, Rhino. In fact, Scoutten and crew filmed both the 3 Gun, and the Factory gun, and were talking about how great the footage they got was, and that it would make for super TV. Now, they will be showing FGN almost a year after the fact, when I'm almost certain that Michael Bane would have had the matches on in a matter of a couple of months, if not weeks. This whole "exclusive" thing was a bad deal, IMO. What's the point, especially when it seems that "exclusive" means that USPSA is virtually "excluded" from the broadcast schedule. :angry: And, no mention of any shows concerning the 3 Gun.

I'll be watching to see what kind of job Mr. Scoutten does, and then I'm sure I'll be in (more) contact with my Area Director. <_<

Troy

it seems that "exclusive" means that USPSA is virtually "excluded" from the broadcast schedule

LOL!

Just guessing, but it probably takes a lot of effort to Produce the raw footage into a broadcast-ready segment. (Think of all the editing.) And they probably didn't start until recently. And they are probably trying to do a better job than they did on the 2002 FGN, with the imagined drama of the TJ vs. TGO battle. (They were shooting different divisions.)

FYI, it takes about a week (more or less, depending on the amount of raw video shot) after filming to get to a final edited 30 minute show. One of the biggest pains in the butt is transfering from digital video to the computer, which has to be done in real time, with each shot "logged in" so that it can be found by the editor. With something like the Steel Challenge, where we had 900 some-odd minutes of video, that was...grim.

Last week at the Rogers Shooting School in Georgia, we shot around 240 minutes of video. One of the things I insisted on with The Outdoor Channel was timeliness...for example, we were able to juggle the Season 1 schedule to get Winter Range on the air about three weeks after the event. We'll be doing the same thing with our Season 2 events.

BTW, Rogers' school is hard, hard, HARD! I took the Intermediate/Advanced class, and most of the other students were either military or police firearms instructors. I finally carved out a qualifying score (that's right...you qualify or your don't pass the course), but it was a BEAR. The 23-shot WEAK HAND BLAST DRILL--23 8-inch plates popping up and staying exposed for a quarter of a second each--was PARTICULARLY pleasant. There were moments when I considered simply *throwing* the gun at those *damned* plates. Of course, all reloads on that drill were WEAK HAND ONLY...I have huge bruises on the insides of my knees (don't even ask!). And before you all ask, the gun was the 9mm Kimber, now dinked by Bruce Gray in California. Ran without a hitch for almost 2000 rounds in three days.

After the NRA show, we're headed up to The Crucible for some rock and roll. I think this season is SUBSTANTIALLY better than the first one.

Michael B

PS: My best wishes to Jim S...competition is always *fun!*

Thanks for the info, Mike. Even if it takes two weeks to edit the footage from the matches, it's been almost a year. I just think USPSA took it in the shorts on this one, and as you can tell by now, I'm dead set against an exclusive anything regarding publicizing the sport.

Hey, Brian, I think they got the front of my hand, holding some extremely deformed shotgun slugs. Man, those things are wicked looking once they hit a popper. :D And not something you want to kneel on at any cost. :o

Troy

Before anyone blows a gasket, the 2003 Limited & Open Nationals in Bend and the 2003 3-gun Nationals will be aired on Jim's show, they're just not on the schedule yet. They are all part of the "Championship Series" just like the Bianchi Cup, Masters, etc.

We're getting the spotlight on 3 of the twelve matches covered. That's much better than I've seen anywhere else on any other program. No offense, Mike, but I just haven't heard of any coverage of USPSA events on the Shooting Gallery, although I wish I could get the Outdoor Channel so I could watch it.

I've talked to Jim, and given him some inside perspective on at least 3 of the matches he covered, one of which was the 2003 IDPA Winter Champ. last year. He seemed to take it very positively and shared my concern of the mis-information of the last USPSA match coverage (the infamous Rob vs Todd episode)

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of show Jim will turn out.

$.02

Phil

No offense, Mike, but I just haven't heard of any coverage of USPSA events on the Shooting Gallery, although I wish I could get the Outdoor Channel so I could watch it.

That's because USPSA gave Scoutten and Shooting USA exclusive rights to the big USPSA matches. A big mistake in my opinion, regardless of how well or poorly Shooting USA presents them (or not).

No offense, Mike, but I just haven't heard of any coverage of USPSA events on the Shooting Gallery, although  I wish I could get the Outdoor Channel so I could watch it. 

That's because USPSA gave Scoutten and Shooting USA exclusive rights to the big USPSA matches. A big mistake in my opinion, regardless of how well or poorly Shooting USA presents them (or not).

There's gotta be some sort of control I think. We don't really want two sets of crews tripping over each other for one match, and then nobody at the next one.. Exclusive rights to all the matches, I think is a tad excessive.

There's gotta be some sort of control I think. We don't really want two sets of crews tripping over each other for one match, and then nobody at the next one.. Exclusive rights to all the matches, I think is a tad excessive.

I'll disagree. Multiple journalist manage to cover every other sport out there without tripping over each or the competitors --- I'm certain that those issues could be managed. Is USPSA generating revenue from this deal? And is that revenue worth an exclusive deal? Or would we be better served if there was open access?

Hey Shred;

I truly don't think that's an issue...crews are small (my "crew" is me and producer Robin Berg, with occasionally a second camerperson). I've been at several events with the crews from G&A teevee and AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, as well as local television, and there's never been the slightest problem.

Generally, we're all working different angles and we all have our different "go-to" people. Plus, I generally coordinate with Tom Gresham at G&A and Mark Keefe at AR to make sure we're not stepping on each other's toesies.

I have said before, and I'lll say again, that I am absolutely opposed to the concept of "exclusive" as it pertains to the existing shooting sports. We are simply too small to do deals like that. Also, sponsors don't like 'em, because their sponsorships are aired on only one venue instead of multiple venues. I encouraged Mike Dalton at the Challenge to briing in as many media people as he could get, because it's good for the sport.

The exception I'll make here is events that are organized *BY* the media involved, be it magazine, television, whatever. I have several events I've spent a goodly chunk of The Outdoor Channel's money setting up, and those events are the *exclusive property* of The Outdooor Channel. I think you guys can see the difference there.

Still, I can't complain...we've got a 78-show commitment for SHOOTING GALLERY; we'll be shooting all in HDTV staring in July and the announcement of our *second* series will go out next week. It's all rock and roll...

Michael B

Hey Shred;

I truly don't think that's an issue...crews are small (my "crew" is me and producer Robin Berg, with occasionally a second camerperson). I've been at several events with the crews from G&A teevee and AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, as well as local television, and there's never been the slightest problem.

Hmm.. somehow you and your guys managed to get into most of my video of the super squad at the Steel Challenge shooting Outer Limits..

(of course I took up a good chunk of the background for your TJ interview footage, so I guess we're about even-- you might want to shorten the ol focal length when you get to HDTV though)

I've got no problem with multiple groups "covering" an event, but I think a "match video"-style production would be a problem if the SS had to deal with two or three times as many camera folks chasing them around.