Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 9mm brass should I avoid?

saab

The red or green you see is where some reloader painted it to identify it as his after shooting it.

Unless you're talking about the red or green on the base around or near the primer. That is usually a sealant for moisture proofing around the primer.

I am expermenting with the S&B. I have reloaded about 2000 once fired and am on the second time for the reload. Haven't had any problems so far.

I have found alot of GFL brass that is cracked as of late. I get my brass for an indoor range and pretty sure it is 90% once fired.

I don't know what is going on with this brass. Haven't had and problems with Federal. My pick would be Winchester.

Edited by Bouttime

The kind to avoid is the kind that looks like brass and sticks to a magnet and all other steel cases. I learned this the hard way at the Gator, 4 rounds into a 32 round stage. Other than that get once fired load it once a let it go! I don't pick up my own brass, but I'll pickup the Noob's who is shooting factor fresh brass.

The kind to avoid is the kind that looks like brass and sticks to a magnet and all other steel cases.

+1

There is a new brand of brass coated steel case out there. It looks just like normal brass cases, but it's only plated. You can spot it easily with a magnet. You don't want to break your dies trying to re-size steel. And forget anything that's aluminum.

Other than that, it depends on what load levels you're going to shoot at.

one thing I have noticed about S&B brass is that it takes more effort to resize than any other brass. I think the loads are loaded to max pressure.

Other than that,they work just fine,as does any other 9mm brass.

Edited by 98006

I have boxes of S&B 9mm brass if you find that you like it. I don't reload 9mm. Probably 2500 total.

Other then being a little more difficult to insert the primer , I have had no issues at all reloading my S&B brass. So if you want to pm me "race" we could make some type of arrangement for that brass you have laying around.

I mostly load Win because it's what I have the most of. Federal (FC) seems to be the easiest brass to deal with though.

I used to pick up brass at a match where there was one guy shooting 9mm major. His open gun would frost the brass, making it really obvious it was his. I tried to avoid it, but occasionally, while sorting brass before or after tumbling, I'd find a piece or two. Is this common / a reliable sign of 9mm major brass, or was it just peculiar to his open gun?

S&B seems to be a little thicker, has tighter pockets, and though I used to load it, it's one of the few headstamps I generally won't pick up now. Basically, just that, Amerc, and anything I know to be steel or aluminum. RWS (got common for a while at Walmart during the ammo shortages) is another that's hard to work with.

Not sure what you mean that his open gun would frost the brass. I do know that open gun beat the crap out of the primer pockets and won't hold primers after a few firings. Nice huh?

Amerc sucks and S&B isn't far behind- because the pockets are too tight and always cause me grief... plus they make brass colored steel cases.. brilliant huh?

The sides of the brass, from the mouth most of the way down, the brass would lose its shine and look frosted. Kind of like the brass had been bead blasted or something. I don't think it looked that way before his gun beat it up.

I have recently started chamber checking all of the rounds that I shoot in matches, and CBC brass consistently does not fit through my Dillon chamber gauge. Generally about half of the ones that fail will drop in and out of a barrel easy enough (XDm and CZ), but the other half stick. I have yet to check them at the range, but I just go by the chamber gauge.

Avoid most 9mm major brass..it's toast

along with machine gun fired brass

What in the world?? I load sub gun brass all the time! It will have some black marks on the case that don't always come off but other than that I have some that has probably been loaded 5 times or more.

Same with major brass. When I pick it up I look at it carefully. If it looks OK I run it through the press. If it seems like it is too far gone or the primer pocket is sloppy loose then I pitch it. There are some guys loading major brass several times with no problems.

I try to stick with the major American brands. Win, Rem, Speer, Starline and Federal.

I tend to just chunk S&B, GFL, CBC and of course AMERC. Not crazy about NATO and other military because of the crimped primer pockets, but it's damn good brass once the crimp is gone.

I don't pick up my own brass, but I'll pickup the Noob's who is shooting factor fresh brass.

You forgot to mention you offer it the shooter before pocketing... right?

Yes, I ask if they want it first. If not its up for grabs.