Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about revolver grip?

I have been shooting Glocks for the last couple of years. Then i shot a match out of state and saw several people shooting revolvers and it looked like fun. So I thought I would join in the revolver fun. A question I do have is does everyone who shoots a revolver lock their weak hand thumb over their strong hand thumb? With the Glock I have both thumbs pointed forward with the weak hand thumb against the receiver and my strong hand thumb on top of the weak hand thumb. I have tried several different grips and the most comfortable to me is what I have been using with the Glocks.

Where do you put your thumbs on the revolver grip? Do you do the same with autos?

Thanks in advance,

Keith Paul

I do the same as with autos. Many people will say you will smash your fingers that way, but 177 PF, I don't have any problems with busted knuckles. I put my left thumb on the frame just behind the cylinder and wrap my right thumb around the top of the frame on the Hogue release kind of like a *thumb rest [generic]*. Looks a lot like "two thumbs up". The first way you described is likely way more common.

Lee

Like Bones, though my weak hand isn't cammed forward quite as much. I also keep my thumbs off the gun, as they're 2 points of contact that are not only unnecessary, but are pressure points than affect accuracy if & when they push on the frame.

Tom

I must be a dim bulb on the Broadway of Life. This thread has been my epiphany for revolver grip. The competition grip being somewhat different than bullseye work, for whatever reason I had never considered either of the two approaches above.

*DOH!

While the weak thumb behind the cylinder backing plate gave me the most secure hold I've ever had on a DA revolver, the thumbs off grip was a revelation. :cheers: Sight alignment during double action trigger pull dry fire is nothing short of incredible, at least for me. I have diabetic neuropathy in my hands and thus can't relate to such esoteric titles as "Grip Pressure - 40% weak hand or Vice Versa". Hell, I can't even feel reset on my 1911 but I can tell you the sight wobbles a LOT less with no thumbs on my beloved N frames. I almost can't wait to get to the range. :goof:

THANK YOU GrandBoule!

I must be a dim bulb on the Broadway of Life. This thread has been my epiphany for revolver grip. The competition grip being somewhat different than bullseye work, for whatever reason I had never considered either of the two approaches above.

Awesome!! :cheers:

Actually, I have no idea whether other wheelgunners believe in the thumbs-off approach. I'd be interested in hearing. I adopted the "thumbs-off" grip after reading up on bullseye shooting techniques. The strong hand is essentially a bullseye grip, and the weak hand is basically the strong's mirror image, and it seemed particularly easy to implement with a thumbs-forward grip. When I shoot SHO or WHO, it looks very much like a bullseye grip.

Good luck!

Tom

I do it thumbs forward just like how I shoot my autos. One consistent grip.

5681804535_e5b7fcdcaa_z.jpg

just need to remember to not do it when I shoot anything with the word "Magnum" in it :)

I do it thumbs forward just like how I shoot my autos. One consistent grip.

5681804535_e5b7fcdcaa_z.jpg

just need to remember to not do it when I shoot anything with the word "Magnum" in it :)

Or learn the joy and excitement of picking unburned powder from your thumb with tweezers. Been there done that...one shot lesson.

Tried locking my thumbs down, over, under and it just seems best to shoot it like my autos also.

But then I have short fingers.

One note I definitely place the palm of my off hand as far to the back of the grips as I can.

That seems to help keep the thumb from getting toasted.

I shoot thumbs forward like robot in the pics, but switch to thumb over thumb for really powerful guns. My weak hand thumb just gets dirty, but my strong hand thumb on the recoil shield can be painful!

It took me a little while to not touch the cylinder with my weak hand thumb.

I'm with them, I shoot the same way I shoot my semi autos. At least most of them. The magnum calibers I don't stick my left thumb out there, nor with most of my single actions. For those it's down on the side of the trigger guard I think. lol

LIC-08.jpg

Edited by cas

I grip a revolver differently from an auto.

The weak hand thumb is over the strong hand thumb, pressing into the web.

This was taught to me by a champion PPC shooter who was with the FTU of the RCMP.

RevolverGrip.jpg

Thumbs forward. with the L-frames the thumb is a little further forward than the 625. I get my black thumbnail when I've got a good grip.