Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

traveling caution at events

This may be of help to all of us as a Caution. the idea to post it came from an STC post about San Antonio being a bad place to have guns stolen from cars.

At the nat Skeet and Sporting clays events and at the STC event the thieves would come to the event and place "Stickers" of some kind on the shooters cars. Later as the Thieves would follow or find the cars in area hotels or restaurants and break in. some times even at lunch time.

The way information spreads Bad -guys across the nation may know this trick.

All of us should be on the watch for this kind of thing , in the parking lots and on our cars and friends cars.

JF

Alamo,

Thanks for posting this. Im already pretty paranoid about leaving my gear in my truck when traveling. Im always trying to park close to windows at restaurants to keep an eye on things. This is another thing to check for before leaving the range. 99% of the people you see at a major match are top notch people, but every once in a while you get a bad apple who sees opportunity in ruining someone elses day. Usually someone who shouldnt even be at the range to begin with!

Where I go my range bag goes. Yes, I have brought it into restaurants. Break the Glock down and split up the parts in the bag. No one has ever said a word about it.

It's not paranoid if the bas*ards are really out to get you.

Hello: Another thing is the stickers some have on there cars saying USPSA and IDPA or an add for your favourite pistol/gun. The same was true on race car trailers that I used to see. People know that you either have tools or race cars in the trailer when you are at the hotel. It almost says break in and take something. The best sticker I have seen on a race car trailer was this trailer protected by dangerous snakes enter at your own risk:surprise: Just be smart no matter where you travel and you will be fine. Out of sight out of mine for your gear if you have to stop somewhere. I have seen lots of guys put there belt setup in the back window or even over the seat in plane view. Thanks, Eric

Just to be more clear , the "Sticker" on the bumper was someting like a small reflective dot. So look at the back of your car when you are packing up to leave.

And most many of the day labor at the national shooting complex used to report to a parole officer.

I did some contract work at the complex years ago and the center provided laborers , all five that I remember had to leave for a parole officer vi-st.

This has been a concern at major Trap events for as long as I can remember. Some where along the line the criminals found out that a nice Trap Gun can be worth $30,000 or more and off they went. Considering that the trunk of a vehicle leaving a 3 Gun match probably has $10,000 worth of stuff in it, we are obviously becoming targets too. I will pass this along to the Security guys at Desert Sportsman's in Las Vegas (where Nats are held) and ask that they keep an eye out for people walking from car to car.

Just to be more clear , the "Sticker" on the bumper was someting like a small reflective dot. So look at the back of your car when you are packing up to leave.

And most many of the day labor at the national shooting complex used to report to a parole officer.

I did some contract work at the complex years ago and the center provided laborers , all five that I remember had to leave for a parole officer vi -st.

Say what?! :surprise:

you mean their special ankle bracelets didn't give them away? :goof:

I sure would be up for putting a LOJAK or a GPS cell phone in my range bag. imagine the bad guys's expressions when the po po shows up right at their door.

the really sneakey way to steal guns would be to....

ahhh....never mind...

a big plus one to not having any gun related stickers on your car.

never leave your guns unattended, basically, is about the only way to keep it from happening.

all the more reason to use the drive thru. or bring your own food from home and eat in the hotel room with your firearms right beside you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It has been between one and two years ago that Dave Sevigney has two guns, range bag, and even his first aid kit stolen from his truck in Georgia in an Olive Garden parking lot after a match. He said his windows were tinted and there were no obvious signs that there were guns in the truck. He was upset about loosing the G34 that he had won so many major matches with. I suggested to him that someone may have followed him from the match but he said he was with a group and did not see anyone following them. He said he would be taking him guns in with him from then on.

unless I have direct view of my car, the bag goes where I go. I have been known to go the trouble of going somewhere else if I can not find a good parking space or it would look funny lugging a rifle case inside.

Call me paranoid.

• 2 months later...

A couple of the cheap motels I stay in have had safes mounted in the room with a key you can take.

Not sure exactly how secure that really is, but better than nothing. Some good hotels have safes in the lobby that you can have stuff put in.

My procedure for out of town matches so far is:

1. Drive 6-8 hrs to range, walk around stages. (car could get broken into while in range parking lot, but unlikely given the traffic day before a big match).

2. Hit a drive through for food and hit the hotel (gun in hotel with me), set up for match, sleep

3. Get up early and head to range, shoot match.

4. Drive home, maybe stop halfway home and sleep, gun with me in hotel.

Not as much fun as staying 3 days and going out on the town, but I don't take many days off work, don't spend much on food and motels, and am not worried about things disappearing.

Am I the only guy that has a secret hidden compartment in my truck?

Shooters crack me up, we spend $$$$'s on guns, ammo, cool clothes to wear but won't buy a good rainsuit or a security system for our vehicles. :roflol:

I got one of these going in next week.

http://www.truckvault.com/ProductsByVehicleType.aspx?CID=SO&VTID=PU