Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My old Okidata printer at the house is headed for the recycle bin shortly so this past weekend I went out to look for a replacement. Holy Guacamole - where did all these printers come from and way are so many of them as big as my TV set???

Two things are immediately obvious:

1. The stores are pushing All-In-One Photo Quality Wireless Ink Jet printers like a vendor hawking peanuts at a ball game.

2. A trip down the aisle where the ink jet cartridges are explains why - these suckers are expensive!

So, there I am, thinking that I really don't need to print color, don't need an all-in-one, don't need wireless, IOW I don't need almost everything they have. So, after looking at whats left, I come to the conclusion that I've either got to buy something with features I don't need or pay a lot more for a black and white laser printer.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. I would like a nice simple black and white inkjet printer (fat chance) but will settle for one with separate black and separate color cartridges (not one color cart with them all together) that gets a good page count and won't dry out in a month. That's all it needs to do. It doesn't need to fax, copy, network, print gallery quality photos, or walk the dog.

Suggestions?

My cannon had black and then the three color, or you could pull out all four and put on bout 4" square black refillable tank. This is what I used when I was doing taxes and only needed black and white. You might look at the specs on some of the inkjets and see if any of them offer a large black cartridge like that. YOu will have to do the math but sometimes the more expensive printer is cheaper by the page if you can get large generic black cartridges for it.

I had to replace my ink cartriges on my printer and it was like $60... so I bought a new printer for $50... My new printer cost less with ink in it allready than just repalcing the old ink cartriges... I will probably buy another printer when I run out od ink again!! :roflol: I feel your pain! :angry2:

I agree with you that they all seem to have more than I need. But they are also pretty cheap these days as well.

FWIW I think my next one will be a Lexmark because the ink cartridges are much cheaper than the other brands.

For your needs seek the cheapest printer you can find. And when you need ink, buy a new printer. I know it isn't eco-friendly - talk to the OEM's. <_<

I use an Epson with a bunch of little ink cartridges and if one is low it won't print, not black, nothin' - so don't exclude all in one ink cartridges.

It does however make outstanding prints which is why I put up with the REALLY expensive ink. I also use expensive paper and printer profiles.

But for you - cheap is the key. $50 should be your price point...and you'll be able to print decent pics, too.

Try:

www.tigerdirect.com

www.microcenter.com

FWIW I think my next one will be a Lexmark because the ink cartridges are much cheaper than the other brands.

On the way home today it occurred to me to go to the aisle with the ink and compare cartridges and find out what's inexpensive, then find the printer to go with them.

It looks like we all fired off the same feelings at the same time. Also ask about the cartridges that come with the printer. They may be "starter pak" ink...less quantity than normal - you know since it's free <_<

Two words... Xerox Phaser

Read this: Xerox Phaser

I bought the commercial printer, fax, scanner, copier for my business almost 3 years ago and could not be happier with it. The solid ink is great, black for about 1 to 2 cents per page and color for about 3 to 4 cents per page. No mess, no refilling, best thing on the market. I was so impressed I bought stock in Xerox. The consumer versions are about $500 and $900. That might sound steep, but print 1500 pages and you pay for the thing for just the ink cost of an ink jet. The quality is WAY beyond anything in that price range as well. The "other" printer companies have done their best to smear the solid ink technology, but it is wonderful. I prepare court exhibits on this and I get compliments all the time on the quality of the images. Buy one, you won't be sorry.

Edited by MarkCO

• 3 months later...

Depends on your volume.

In my company, we run 4 lasers, 3 color, 1 b&w. Two monster Epson 4880 color ink jets.

We had an all in one when company first got started. we went thru ink way too fast. My buddies with not much volume have their ink dry out. I prefer laser when possible. Much more cost savings. A cheap b&w can be had for less than two bills.

When I upgraded PCs at home, they "gave" me an Epson printer. It does a very nice job, it also will scan and copy, which has turned out extremely useful - I hestiated installing the printer as I "knew" I wouldnt need those features, boy was I wrong! I can provide the exact model number tonight if the OP wishes.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. I would like a nice simple black and white inkjet printer (fat chance) but will settle for one with separate black and separate color cartridges (not one color cart with them all together) that gets a good page count and won't dry out in a month. That's all it needs to do. It doesn't need to fax, copy, network, print gallery quality photos, or walk the dog.

Suggestions?

Forget inkjet, and really if there's still such a thing as B&W only inkjet, it's very well hidden. Go laserjet. Before you say "the toner cartridges are ever so much more expensive!", consider that you'll replace it only once or twice a year on a light to medium use printer. No way anyone can make the same claim on inkjet.

My current pick is the HP Laserjet Pro P1606dn. Awesome printer only a little bit bigger than my previous HP LJ 1020 and 1012. It's small enough that I can reasonably pick it up and carry it with me to run stats at a major match, which I do. It'll run either with a regular USB cable and also wired network ready. (Meaning for me at a match multiple scoring computers can easily share the one printer.) HP Direct has it for $159. If that's too much and you don't care about network printing, the HP LJ P1102w is even smaller in form and just as capable (USB and wireless instead of wired), and is all of $99. It's the successor to the 1020 and 1012, which I used for years scoring state and area championships.

And it occurs to me now in actually looking that the original post is 3 months old and surely he already has a new printer by now. But my recommendation still stands.

Edited by wgnoyes

I bought the commercial printer, fax, scanner, copier for my business almost 3 years ago and could not be happier with it. The solid ink is great, black for about 1 to 2 cents per page and color for about 3 to 4 cents per page. No mess, no refilling, best thing on the market. I was so impressed I bought stock in Xerox. The consumer versions are about $500 and $900. That might sound steep, but print 1500 pages and you pay for the thing for just the ink cost of an ink jet. The quality is WAY beyond anything in that price range as well. The "other" printer companies have done their best to smear the solid ink technology, but it is wonderful. I prepare court exhibits on this and I get compliments all the time on the quality of the images. Buy one, you won't be sorry.

Phaser printers are Really REALLY nice printers for a laser/dye-sublimation process. I would not hesitate to recommend one for impressive quality color at all.

Tells you how long I have been in the Computer world. I remember those printers when they first came out in the late 80's early 90's before Xerox bought them and they were made by Tektronix. Actually had a rep of theirs come up and do a demo in 1991 when I was making bid sales to Texas A&M in College Station.

Thanks, I may try the 8570DN for my next printer. (Double sided printing standard, network and Mac compatible.)

be

Buy a laser. I buy one every couple of years and have had good luck with both Brother and HP low end lasers. Plenty fast for my needs and consumables are very reasonable. I chose my last one, an HP P1006, by looking at how many pages per toner cartridge and doing the math to get cost per page. If you started out with a free lower end inkjet and bought as much ink for it as what it takes to print as many pages with it as what 2 standard laser toner cartridges will print, you will save enough money to pay for the laser before its second toner cartridge is used up.

My .02.....

I had the same problem a few years ago. I went with a Brother 5 in 1. It uses toner instead of ink.It only prints in black but I use it for home use. I have bought one cartridge since I've had it and it cost $64. If I have pictures that I need to have printed out it's cheaper to go to Kroger's or someplace like that. I have gone through a lot of paper since I bought it and only one cartridge.

The Costco here in Albuquerque refills the black and color carts for my HP for $10.00 a pop. I don't believe you can fill a cart forever but being able to fill one 3 times before buying a new one sure takes the sting out of it.

Pat

• 2 months later...

I just got an HP Office Jet Pro 8500A from SAM's Club for about $180.00 for Office use & home use. It's a "do-all" machine and seems to do everything with quality and ease. It's even wireless and when hooked to a router, you can even print stuff from your smart phone. It's pretty cool.