Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

my old peltor 6S tactical are getting OLD

stringcheese

My peltor 6S electronic muffs are pretty much thrashed. They were never great around loud guns with a small 19db reduction.

I know the open guns can be loud. I am looking for suggestions for a good pair of COMFORTABLE electric muffs for uspsa that will protect my hearing?

Thanks

Depends on how much you want to spend. The newer Peltor Tacticals are ok for a cheaper muff. The Dillons are pretty good. Pro Ears Gold and MSA Sordins seem to be the cats meow. The MSA's are on my shopping list...

I picked up a pair of the MSA Supreme Pro-X's a few months ago and love them. I use them mainly for 3-Gun/Multigun and they work great for pistols and shotguns. The compensated rifles are a little loud for them, so I normally end up using disposable plugs under them for those stages. With the amplification all the way up, you can still hear range commands clearly through the plugs.

The MSAs are very comfortable and the electronics sound great. You still hear the gunshots, but they sound like they're coming from another bay, and you can still have a conversation without any clipping.

I was really reluctant to spend that kind of money on ear pro, but an old family friend who lost half of his hearing in the Navy convinced me otherwise.

I would like to stay in the $100 range. The muffs I have are rated at 19db NRR and just don't cut it. I am not familiar with the pro ears or MSA's. They all look like they are made in the same factory until you get into the top dollar models. Since my 6S's still work, I am looking for a high reduction model that doesn't hurt my califlour ears.

Hello: The next step up are the Dillon muffs but they are over $100. I would suggest using plugs under your Peltor's. That is what I do when I shoot my AR or Open pistol. When my Peltors crap out I am going to get the best ones I can afford since I don't want to lose any more of my hearing. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Dude, Home Boy WTF! Since you have a budget of $100 and could do without coffee and donuts for a week I would buy the Dillon muffs. They are easier to change the batteries and are blue :cheers: After that you are looking at $200 and up Home Boy :devil: Thanks, Eric

Also look at howard leight elec. Muff under 60 at amazon for a decent performing earmuff..very high reviews on there

I would not recommend them. They are comfortable and have good amplification and noise reduction. However, my experience with them is that the electronics start to cut in and out after a while then fail completely within a year or so. From what I've seen, and read, I'm not alone and many reportedly crap out even quicker than that.

Trying the Peltor Tacticals now...actually like the Howard Leight's better as far as fit (slim is good for rifle and shotgun) and function (plenty of gain to compensate for double plugging), but don't want to risk replacing another pair after they crap out.

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

I traded in my Peltor 6s muffs (drowned at the 2008 Open Nats) for some Tac 1's with the gell ear cups. It was a MAJOR improvement. The Tac's are well worth the extra few $.

Peltor Tac 1's? I tried googling Tac 1 muffs and ended up. On pro-ears site????

FWIW, if you want the Dillons but for less money, you might look at the Radians pro amp. I'm pretty sure that Radians makes the earpro for Dillon. They go for $70-$75, depending on who you order them from.

Try the Caldwells from Midway. They have a better DB rating than the Peltors and you can change the batteries from the outside. Also, they use triple A batteries so less expensive batteries. Were on sale lately, not sure about right now.

I have recently started using the Peltor Tactical Pro electronic ear muffs. They have a NRR of 26db. The only problem is they run around $150, but so far I am glad I made the purchase. Here is a link to one of many sites you can go to and find them; peltor tactical pro I looked at many types and brands, and tried out several, and this is the one I purchased. You will find many opinions on this subject.