Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR 1911

hankfan79

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A RUGER without a firing pin block safety...what could possibly make you think there will be a recall?;)

If these are interchangeable where I could put an aftermarket Ambi safety and a Smith and Alexander mag release on it there may be one in my future.

If these are interchangeable where I could put an aftermarket Ambi safety and a Smith and Alexander mag release on it there may be one in my future.

Ruger doesn't have the best history of decision-making when it comes to centerfire autos, but even then there's no way they'd hamstring themselves so badly by making it with non-spec, proprietary parts. That would be the nail in the coffin of this gun, and they're not THAT brainless!

Right? I hope ...

Very intriguing. May wait a while to see if any bugs come out of the woodwork though. Might make for a reasonably priced carry 1911 as is or add a few parts and you can get into the SS game pretty easily.

Given that we have Colt, Springfield, Kimber, S&W, Taurus, Para, and Sig (did I see Winchester and Ithaca 1911s somewhere?) making mass market 1911s, not to mention STI, SVI, Brown, Baer, Wilson, or Caspian and hosts of custom builders, I'm not sure why the Ruger entry is that big a deal. Even at the bargain/entry/economy level, there are a half dozen guns to choose from from reputable manufacturers.

The gunblast review says it weighs 43oz, that's with the short guide rod and no magwell.

I like it, if you could get it for $600, it would be a pretty good deal. I am not sure how you'd lighten it up though, and I'm not really interested in 45's anymore...

I've had my gun all apart and it's standard 1911 through and through. The thumb safety, grip safety and sights have some unique cosmetic differences but I don't see anything that cannot be changed out with parts from the usual sources.

I don't know the history of Ruger's 1911 and what prompted them to get into this market but they seem to have really done their market research. The gun is nicely assembled and should be an excellent pistol given that it'll be priced closely to Taurus and some of those.

One nice thing about this gun, especially given the economy, is the fact that every last part of the gun is reportedly made in the US. Few manufacturers can say that and it seems increasingly rare in this day and age. I, personally, am happy to see an American classic that's 100% American. I give kudos to Ruger in this regard.

Will the Ruger be the best choice for a full-on custom? Probably not. But I certainly wouldn't be afraid to have a trigger job and basic reliability package performed. I foresee a number of 1911 smiths starting up a "Ruger Enhancement Package" that might include a basic tune and polish and the change of sights or something like that. This gun seems to be a fairly nice combination of essential features without useless fluff or parts that most users will take off and replace with something else.

As far as buying a Ruger over other brands, there will be those who cannot (or will not) accept that Ruger's just as capable of making decent products as anybody else. The ghost of Bill Ruger lives on, I guess...

Well being that Ruger actually makes frames for some of the others...I don't see how this 1911 can be any worse than others. As long as it doesn't have MIM internals...it is going to smoke the TAURUS. Taurus with a little bit of avantage for having front checkering...but that's it. The Taurus sights ARE NOT novak cuts.

I would be willing to bet it will be made better than the average Springfield Loaded, STI Spartan, and Taurus with a price tag lower than them all...or close to it. That's the big deal! More bang for the buck.

Tokarev,

Since you are claiming to have one, are the internals MIM? Is the sight cut TRUELY a novak?

Give us some more info.

Well being that Ruger actually makes frames for some of the others...I don't see how this 1911 can be any worse than others. As long as it doesn't have MIM internals...it is going to smoke the TAURUS. Taurus with a little bit of avantage for having front checkering...but that's it. The Taurus sights ARE NOT novak cuts.

I would be willing to bet it will be made better than the average Springfield Loaded, STI Spartan, and Taurus with a price tag lower than them all...or close to it. That's the big deal! More bang for the buck.

Tokarev,

Since you are claiming to have one, are the internals MIM? Is the sight cut TRUELY a novak?

Give us some more info.

I'm no expert on identifying MIM but I am going to say that the hammer, disconnector and sear are MIM parts. The safety and slide release also look like MIM parts to me.

The rear sight cut does appear to be standard Novak. I don't know about the front. Even if it is something unusual or unique, I'd imagine Dawson will make a fiber optic and/or tritium front in the near future.

I always thought the Taurus was a heck of a buy for $479 or so. But with those guns now pushing $600 (the local shop here has a new stainless PT1911 for $629) I don't really see any reason to buy the Taurus over the similarly priced American model. Cosmetically, the Ruger is much nicer than the handful of Taurus 1911's I've owned and shot. Also, while not radically so, Ruger has done a nice job of keeping the gun fairly free of rough edges and sharp spots.

The gunblast review says it weighs 43oz, that's with the short guide rod and no magwell.

I like it, if you could get it for $600, it would be a pretty good deal. I am not sure how you'd lighten it up though, and I'm not really interested in 45's anymore...

I just looked at the spec sheet on the Ruger site and it says 39 oz. More in line with everybody else.

RIA/Spartan are where it's at for cheaper 1911s. This will add another nice option.

My experience with RIA has been that their frames and slides are a little on the soft side. Battering and peening can result.

Meh.

Costs as much as 2 RIA's almost (who's frames and slides are not soft and just fine if not better than most btw), but doesn't seem twice a good.

Seems at Ruger imitation is the new innovation. Weak sauce IMO.

I'm no fan of Ruger's semiauto products, but I don't think that's really a fair statement when you're talking about the most-copied handgun on the planet. If they truly were 'innovative' and not imitative we'd be complaining that their design was non-spec/non-traditional and either couldn't use other branded parts or just wasn't a "true" 1911. Remove yourself from the competitor mindset and be average-guy gun buyer walking into a store looking for a 1911. A poly-framed double stack STI or a Para LDA wouldn't even get a second glance in comparison. Remember, a lot of 1911 purists decry the use of beavertails and skeletonized hammers and triggers, or lowered ejection ports. It's JMB's way or no way, they would say. In this regard I think Ruger has captured the current market-accepted flavor of the 1911. We'll just have to see what happens next! :)

I'm no fan of Ruger's semiauto products, but I don't think that's really a fair statement when you're talking about the most-copied handgun on the planet. If they truly were 'innovative' and not imitative we'd be complaining that their design was non-spec/non-traditional and either couldn't use other branded parts or just wasn't a "true" 1911. Remove yourself from the competitor mindset and be average-guy gun buyer walking into a store looking for a 1911. A poly-framed double stack STI or a Para LDA wouldn't even get a second glance in comparison. Remember, a lot of 1911 purists decry the use of beavertails and skeletonized hammers and triggers, or lowered ejection ports. It's JMB's way or no way, they would say. In this regard I think Ruger has captured the current market-accepted flavor of the 1911. We'll just have to see what happens next! :)

I wasn't referring strictly to just this latest offering... For the last few years it's been pretty much the same thing; the SR9 is a Glock-copy, the LCP ripped off Kel-Tec, the SR556 wasn't original and didn't cause the earth to shake, and now a 1911-like-everyone-else, besides the LCR which is indeed innovative it's just been copy after copy.

Honestly, the craziest thing about this, but maybe a whole other topic is how out of all the 1911-platform-clones produced by everybody how little innovation there actually has been. I love 1911's buy I'm not one of those preaching JMG's original design was pure perfection and without flaws, you'd think the producers would apply some more forward-thinking engineering ideas rather than just sticking to staying so traditional.

I mean just look at many of the threads that pop up in this subforum, gangs of us fighting with trying to make shorter OAL rounds function in a 100 year old design made to work with a longer OAL round, you'd think somebody would've tried scaling the design to match the scale of the shorter rounds like .40 and 9mm by now, but short of Springfield's EMP no one's really bothered, so we keep playing with springs, measuring feed lips, and all the other stuff to overcome the engineering shortcomings and challenges... There are other things too, for examplebesides the AFTEC, or going external, no one has really tried to improve upon the things that could be bettered...

Oops, sorry for the tirade. ;)

I wasn't referring strictly to just this latest offering... For the last few years it's been pretty much the same thing; the SR9 is a Glock-copy,

M&P & XD are copies as well. So? It's all about who can produce a quality firearm for the bottom dollar. Not who can squeeze out a 1911 thats ugly, barely works, and slap a $500 sticker on it. Rock Island has conquered that market. Sti offered a little more than Taurus (except for the stippling). This looks to be a quality STAINLESS 1911 with bells and whistles for relatively cheap (depending on street price). And to echo what others say...AMERICAN MADE. While I do support other countries by buying other products.... If all the 1911 clones run the same and cost the same...Im buying American every time.