Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

texas star

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are the steel plates with the red X's no shoots? demented Us poor 10 rnd small mag iron sighted shooters would be swearing up a storm shooting at that steel

yes they were no shoots and you know the only one of those no shoots in the hole match was the guy that dreamed up the stage !! Me :angry2:

I guess some would say I deserved it !! Brent

Sometimes you have to be carefull who you shoot with when you are a newbie! Last year, my buddy told me to start on the bottom of the Texas star my first time out. When the whirlie gig slowed down 2 minutes later I wasn't sure I would have enough rounds in the mags to finish the stage! Needless to say,,, everyone thought is was funny!

In the military we learned that "Buddy" was only half of a word.... amongst other things... lol.

The last shoot I went to some of us newbies had this same discussion. My friend told me someone said to him, bottom up. I told him "no chance" and went with top down. I briefly explained about the weight and pendelum effect will make life tough, he agreed... He left a pile of brass still, but finally cleared it.

Sometimes you have to be carefull who you shoot with when you are a newbie! Last year, my buddy told me to start on the bottom of the Texas star my first time out. When the whirlie gig slowed down 2 minutes later I wasn't sure I would have enough rounds in the mags to finish the stage! Needless to say,,, everyone thought is was funny!

I second that. I normally shoot IDPA, but a few weeks ago I shot a USPSA match due to its close location( and because im going to shoot some kind of competition if i can help it). In IDPA you very, very seldom see a Texas Star. Well, what do you know, the USPSA match had one. I asked a fellow shooter, who happens to be a good friend of my Father, how to shoot the Texas star. Of course he said start at the bottom. Thankfully,watched some other people shoot it first and made the mental correction.

The best way I've found to shoot a Texas Star with my Limited/Production gun is clockwise starting at 12 o'clock. When it starts to rotate, the plates come up to meet your sights. I've seen them shot the fastest "head, arms, legs" but the transitions could cause problems if you miss a plate.

At one of the local matches (Dundee) Bill Marrs has built an attachment on the back of the star tha holds four paper targets (usually two open and two no-shoots) that turn the opposite direction than the star rotates once the first plate is taken off. Murphy almost always puts a no-shoot behind at least two of the plates and if you are going to have a quick time you have to shoot the plate then or suffer the time delays. It is EVIL but fun.

• 1 month later...

I have used a 6 plated star with 3" plates :surprise: on a couple steel match's. That makes people set up and call you names!!! :wacko:

You can shove that 3"er where the sun don't shine!!! :roflol:

Here is a video of some star setups that they run at Warsaw from time to time:

Star action starts around :50

I like the double star... Looks painful though

The best way I've found to shoot a Texas Star with my Limited/Production gun is clockwise starting at 12 o'clock. When it starts to rotate, the plates come up to meet your sights. I've seen them shot the fastest "head, arms, legs" but the transitions could cause problems if you miss a plate.

Clockwise is the best way for new shooters. And I would shoot my buddy for telling me to start at the bottom. :sight:

Yeah, something like this:

...or spinning:

The dreaded 3" plated star that Corey loves :devil: Just ask him !!!

3 stars in one stage !!! :goof: Thats fun :cheers:

Holy crap, how do you guys hit those small plates? The iron sight shooters must have been swearing alot cause I sure would've :devil:

Shot my first Texas Star today. not all plates were visible from any of two possible shooting positions.

I resisted the temptation of chasing the plates, but I still needed 3-4 extra shots.

I thought it was fun. Wish they used that prop more often.

I shoot down the right side

I do that as well but I'm reconsidering now. I saw one person do it this way twice and it looked faster- top, left, right then the two bottom. If you shoot them correctly- nothing moves. I have to try it next time.

I have used a 6 plated star with 3" plates :surprise: on a couple steel match's. That makes people set up and call you names!!! :wacko:

You can shove that 3"er where the sun don't shine!!! :roflol:

Here is a video of some star setups that they run at Warsaw from time to time:

Star action starts around :50

I have not shot a star yet but that one in the video look crazy hard.