Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSA Fun

"What is next? Full body cavity searches? Handcuff everybody naked to the airplane seats?"
I am sooooo glad I don't have to fly these days. I just won't even CONSIDER flying any more. Whatta a damn' hassle. It's insane. :angry2:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the TSA but similar paranoia, while reporting for jury duty at the Baldwin County (AL.) Courthouse, which has never had anyone attacked in it to my knowlege, I was informed that If I wanted to keep my P38 can opener, I would have to take it back to my truck. They said it was a weapon. I thought that I had sanitized myself so I would not get delayed going through security. I complied and when I came back, they hurried me through, practically throwing my watch, wallet and keys at me. There was a lady there going through security also, they had x-rayed her purse and told her that she had fingernail clippers and that they were forbidden, she replied to the Deputy, "if you can find them, you can have them". He just looked disgusted and let her go. :roflol:

Hurley

Not the TSA but similar paranoia, while reporting for jury duty at the Baldwin County (AL.) Courthouse, which has never had anyone attacked in it to my knowlege, I was informed that If I wanted to keep my P38 can opener, I would have to take it back to my truck. They said it was a weapon. I thought that I had sanitized myself so I would not get delayed going through security. I complied and when I came back, they hurried me through, practically throwing my watch, wallet and keys at me. There was a lady there going through security also, they had x-rayed her purse and told her that she had fingernail clippers and that they were forbidden, she replied to the Deputy, "if you can find them, you can have them". He just looked disgusted and let her go. :roflol:

Hurley

LOL, that reminds me of when I went to jury duty in Greenville County (SC) two years ago. Everything out of my pockets, metal detector went off. Sheriff looks at my belt and says "it's your belt buckle, just put your hand around it and go through again" I did, and sure enough the metal detector didn't go off! :surprise: No idea how metal detectors work, but that simple work around didn't seem right to me.

i carry a water bottle with me at all times and sometimes forget to empty it out before i get in line. I just love dumping out almost 30 ounces of water into whatever trash can they have lying around for things before I shove the bottle back into my bag for x-ray.

Hurley

LOL, that reminds me of when I went to jury duty in Greenville County (SC) two years ago. Everything out of my pockets, metal detector went off. Sheriff looks at my belt and says "it's your belt buckle, just put your hand around it and go through again" I did, and sure enough the metal detector didn't go off! :surprise: No idea how metal detectors work, but that simple work around didn't seem right to me.

I've noticed the faster your walk through, the less likely you are to buzz. There's a local "Gentleman's Club" that employs the use of a detector (as well as strict dress-code enforcement, but that's another conversation). TO avoid a hassle, I put a foot right before the machine, and go through one big step, and I can usually get through with no problem.

CZinSC: I worked for a security agency, and we looked into x-ray handheld wands. They were all rated by how "Deep" they could discover items (gun at 13", paperclip at 1.5", pocket knife at 6", etc) so maybe there was just enough metal that with your hand in place, the machine couldn't zap "deep" enough to find it...

• 2 weeks later...

Not too long ago I talked with a cop at the Jacksonville Port Authority (my bad....shouldn't have shown up with 2 pistols in the truck). He told me that he forgot and tried to go through security with a rifle round one time. He is now on a watch list and has to arrive at the airport 4-6 hours ahead of time, now. 4-6 hours!?! As much as I fly I would never make it anywhere.

I screwed up on time by using a small duffle bag as a carry on--------------After I had used it to carry gear to an indoor shooting range.

When TSA swabbed it and put it in the "microwave" it registered just like it was solid gun powder.

They emptied the bag... spent 15 minutes trying to figure out if I had something sewn into it... and retested the empty bag 4 or 5 times before accepting my explanation.

spent 15 minutes trying to figure out if I had something sewn into it... and retested the empty bag 4 or 5 times before accepting my explanation.

Feel safer now?:roflol:

tsa=Joke!

A.T.

I screwed up on time by using a small duffle bag as a carry on--------------After I had used it to carry gear to an indoor shooting range.

When TSA swabbed it and put it in the "microwave" it registered just like it was solid gun powder.

They emptied the bag... spent 15 minutes trying to figure out if I had something sewn into it... and retested the empty bag 4 or 5 times before accepting my explanation.

I used my range bag as a carry on for the 2010 LPR Nationals. I didn't have single issue at Detroit or Las Vegas coming or going. They did inspect my wifes carry on bag, though. She grabbed a mag cleaning brush that I had left at the hotel and stuffed in her bag. They couldn't figure out what the hell it was when it showed up on X-ray. I tried to explain what it was, but they just gave up and motioned us through. :rolleyes:

As I was flying from SEA to ORF via DTW, I opted out of full body scan at SEA and opted in for a "free massage". (I decided not to be a wise ass and pretend that I'm gay and request that a woman pat me down instead.)

Anyway, they made me go walk around the metal detector instead of through it. They also swabbed the exterior my carry on backpack (which usually goes to the range with me). I think they tested it twice but never once asked me a question about it, or asked to look inside. They eventually let me go on. After boarding my plane, I was unloading stuff from the bag to get my noise cancelling headset. Since I was bending forward to get to the area under the seat in front of me, I kept feeling something hard in my left front pant pocket. Thinking I'd left my passport in my front pocket instead of my vest, I was surprise to find my BladeTech knife there.surprise.gif I though that I'd put all my knives in my checked luggage, but apparently I got distracted while I was packing.

I wonder if the TSA officer felt it while he was patting me down and thought that I was just happy to see him. wub.gif

I've used my camelbak assault pack as an airline carry-on for a while now because it's just under the max size and I can cram anything I need in there for the usual weekend trip. This is the same pack that deployed to AFG with me and carried its fair share of whatever we needed to divvy up. Needless to say, the first plane trip I've taken since I have been back caused a little commotion at Nashville International when my bag swipe/swab tested positive for all kinds of stuff - it had carried everything from ammunition and grenades to blocks of C4 and det cord, shock tube, etc. at some point during the deployment. Fortunately the bag is in army camouflage pattern and I usually use my government ID so when the agent pulled my bag and began to swab it I was like "Ohhhhh yeah - carried a bunch of stuff in that during deployment so it's probably hot for explosives residue right?" She chuckled and then just did a quick peek through the compartments and handed it back to me. I can say that the TSA agents I dealt with that day were great with the common sense factor and I was quickly back on my way to the gate. Then again, with airports like Nashville, Charlotte, SeaTAC, etc. that are in close proximity to bases they are more than likely used to this.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go through my backpack tonight before flying to Barry tomorrow. It's a good thing I did, because somehow a dummy round found it's way into one of the little pockets. :surprise: There's no primer or powder, but I'm sure it would have raised some flags at security. The only thing I can figure is that I was dry firing and a round bounced out of a dropped mag, and into my backpack.

Glenn,

Thanks for starting this thread. It's what made me decide to check for anything suspicious in my carry-on.

Oakland air port so far is the nicest to get through with guns (go figure . . .constant contact breeds comfort)

you check you bag with all of the guns and gear and then walk over to the Large steel door with the conveior belt

bag goes in and 5 minutes later your on your way

luggage has been approved by the little people behind the curtain.

all was giong well till I hit the X-Ray scaner and they said stand in side the machine like in the little picture above your head.

well to me it looked like the Shooter ready surender position.

I guess it looked that way too to the other instructors behind me be cause thats the instructions i heard called out,

when the MR TSA said "No" I thought he said "Go' and I started the perfect draw stroke. . . . MR TSA & friends were not ammused . . .my friends were.

I think they hit the extra dose of X-rays button for Smartasses for that one . . . .but it was funny.

• 2 weeks later...

As a former bureaucracy L.E. member it was frustrating to see the various levels of Gov't take a reasonable idea or task and then hire or promote the most inept individuals, train the common sense out of the good employees, and think they can communicate in writing a rule or policy that covers all circumstances and exceptions for these types of interactions. Hopefully, at some point we may weed out all of the robots with authority and start rewarding human being cognitive thought. Private business started to catch-on somewhat to the concept of empowerment at the lowest level. Until,then I'm sure the idea of throwing more money at the TSA or Federal Gov't will take care of the problems. Right :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just flew roundtrip from Fla to Pa. I don't understand the torso pat down AFTER the x-ray. What is the point of the x-ray if I still get patted down? Simply ridiculous. IMO, the TSA is a complete waste of time, money and manpower. Watching several TSA "agents" standing around talking while would-be passengers are queued up and 2 machines are idle is maddening.

Just did a round trip NJ to TX and back.

NJ, take your suitcase with gun, go stand in a hallway for 20 minutes while they look in your suitcase in a closed room.

TX, Put suitcase on table, open it up with TSA guy there, Open pistol case, unwrap gun cloth, show empty. TSA guy, Wow Caspian, nice gun, chat couple minutes about shooting and guns.

For the record, the guys in NJ were very pleasant and professional. No problems there, just commenting on the different styles. I suppose in NJ there'd be people screaming in the terminal if they had you show clear out front. Different culture.

What a difference. If it weren't so unbelievably HOT I'd consider a move.

NJ, take your suitcase with gun, go stand in a hallway for 20 minutes while they look in your suitcase in a closed room.

That doesn't sound right. You are suppose to be there to witness the inspection and lock the gun case up after they look.

At SeaTac, they took me to a back room but I was there with them despite the fact that they also had a bunch of TV monitors in the room that I technically shouldn't be seeing. I didn't say anything because I wanted to ensure that I kept my eyes on my guns until they were locked up. San Francisco on the return trip was amusing. As anti-gun as the city is, TSA actually had me open the case up in public - perhaps in the hopes of a public shaming?

That doesn't sound right. You are suppose to be there to witness the inspection and lock the gun case up after they look.

Is TSA required to inspect the firearms? I don't think so. You sign a card for the airline stating the gun is unloaded. The card goes in the gun case, the case gets locked. If TSA inspects the firearm, the card better be in there. But I do not believe there is a TSA rule stating they must inspect the firearm. They did NOT inspect the firearms at either port during my trip.

Not the TSA but similar paranoia, while reporting for jury duty at the Baldwin County (AL.) Courthouse,

Here is the DPRM (Democratic People's Republik of Massachusetts) the non-federal courthouses will check your carry gun for you if you have business in the building - none of this "go out to your car" nonsense.