Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 drop-in trigger?

Howdy folks-

I've been searching here and elsewhere reading threads on the subject of drop-on triggers until my eyes crossed. But sadly I'm still left with questions!

I have a G34 headed my way and really want to improve the trigger. I have several other almost stock glocks, so I have a strong understanding of what 'baseline' is. I'm very torn between the GlockTriggers Edge and Challenger, and the Vanek stuff. Then with the vanek, GM or not?

What I want:

- reliability (I don't reload yet so might strikes might be a concern)

- crispness

- little to no overtravel

- crispness

- light, but kept around 3-3.5#

- crispness (have I mentioned that yet?)

This gun will be for informal matches now, but eventually will be used in production class.

So what's the vote? Should I just order a vanek classic and be done? Is it worth the extra $100 for the GM model? Or are the returns just too minor and I should stick with a .25 cent trigger job?

"Crispness", in what sense of the word? I would not describe any production Glock trigger as "crisp", other views may vary, because of the very nature of the striker fire. Like pulling a rubber band back then letting it slip off your finger is really one way to think of how they work, rather than a clean break.

I like the Glocktriggers.com from Jeff. I like the simple installation plus the extra parts he includes. Just what you need to get your gun shooting much better. That and a steel guide rod and a #13 recoil spring, some grip tape, better sights, and a regular slide lock lever and you are good to go. The best trigger (most unique feel)on a Glock I ever felt would probably be Jessie Abbate's, and I do not know who did the trigger on that particular gun. Could have been Billy or Jessie for all I know. I have only felt one of Charlies triggers one time. I liked mine better, the guy that had Charlie's liked his (even if he wouldn't put my gun down).

As long as you know your gun will never really feel like a cocked single action to fire, and it took me a while to get this through my head, and you want something production legal, either should be good, but again, I like the stuff from Glocktriggers.com.

WG

I generally do not respond to these (Gotta change my Glock questions) but many, many Top Glock pilots (GM's and M's) run

the .25 cent trigger job you mentioned.

Don't reload you own? The save those trigger dollars for more ammo and do your level best to wear the barrel out!

Best on your quest

Patrick

I generally do not respond to these (Gotta change my Glock questions) but many, many Top Glock pilots (GM's and M's) run

the .25 cent trigger job you mentioned.

Don't reload you own? The save those trigger dollars for more ammo and do your level best to wear the barrel out!

Best on your quest

Patrick

Probably very correct, the nice thing about the kit is the new springs and marine cups included, you just get everything in one nice package. You buy a lot of convenience in a kit.

wg

I have both Glocktriggers.com & Vanek triggers in my competition guns they are very close to the 25 cent trigger job I have done for the GSSF guns. Actually it was the trigger job in the "Making Glocks Rock" DVD which makes it a $30 trigger job. Until you are shooting in excess of 5,000 rounds a year, save the money for a reloading press instead of a drop in trigger.

I got one of the Production legal Vanek kits, I don't think you can make the Glock trigger "crisp" and still have it production legal, but I could be wrong. I would call my Vanek trigger lighter, smoother, but it is more difficult to find the point where the sear and striker engagement is just about to let go, the final heavy resistance. I prefer the lighter trigger because it allows me to squeeze the trigger faster without moving the gun as much. With practice it works better for me than the stock trigger.

Another note, when I first purchased the Vanek trigger I had just started shooting IPSC, and when I first installed it I hated it, felt like mush, was letting shots off before I intended to fire. The stock parts went back in to the gun and I shot for a year or two before trying it again. The second time I tried it I shot it well, the difference was that I had learned to control the trigger, I had progressed as a shooter, I now preferred the Vanek over the stock trigger. Just something to consider if your a new shooter, I had $260 worth of gun parts sitting around for a couple years before I was capable of getting the full potential out of it.

Should I just order a vanek classic and be done? Is it worth the extra $100 for the GM model?

The extra cost of the GM over the Classic gets you a lightened and lengthened striker. Most who have light strike issues try to run stock strikers with light striker springs. My advice would be to get the GM. The trigger is much better with the entire setup, i.e. light striker than it is with the stock striker and spring.

Thanks a bunch for the replies, guys. I think the question I was asking in a convoluted way was whether a drop-in unit provided a particularly substantial improvement. From reading (even more) and hearing you guys, it sounds like the answer is 'no'. I will stick with the stock job + .25 cent job, and apply the savings towards a reloading press.

I very much enjoy being talked out of expensive 'upgrades'! :)

Has anybody compared the .25 cent job to a really well broken in trigger? I can't even tell you how many thousands of rounds have gone through my Glock 17, and the trigger feels pretty darn good. Worth messing with it?

Best trigger I have felt on a Glock is my buddy's recently retired 35. It has a .25 trigger job with a Ti striker and plunger. Then about 100k rounds worth of polishing. When he bought his new 24 and did the exact same things to it, I couldnt believe it was the same setup. The 35 is WAY better. Just breaking in makes a huge difference.

On the other side I have an XDM 40 with >20k thru the stock trigger. Another buddy had one with 2 or 3 k thru his. On the scale his is lighter, but everyone says mine feels lighter.

On a Glock I dont think the aftermarket triggers are worth it. .25 TJ with light striker, striker spring, light plunger and spring. Feels pretty good and gets better with time. Enjoy polishing it one round at a time!

Best trigger I have felt on a Glock is my buddy's recently retired 35.

Best one I have felt was on one of Jessie Abbate's guns. I still can't totally figure out what it was about it. Guess I just can't "put my finger on it".....yuk yuk..

WG

Small update: I just took possession of a used G34, and went straight to perform a .25 cent trigger job. It ended up being free in reality since I already had all the stuff! :D The whole process took a whopping 30 minutes including disassembly and reassembly. And this was even my first time breaking down the slide internals.

I really must say it's made a large difference. Both the take up and break are much smoother and have no grittiness. It took only a small amount of weight off, which is what I wanted. I recalled that I pulled the trigger once on a shooter's Vanek trigger last week, and I must say my home-brew job feels comparable (albeit heavier, which again was what I wanted).

Anyway, many thanks to you all for your insights.

StockTrigger. Run it.

I ran a Glockworx, a Vanek, and two DIY trigger jobs in my Glock while cutting my teeth from novice to master in IDPA.

I've since converted to the M&P line, but my Glock spent the last year of it's life with nothing but a highly polished set of stock internals, and a 3.5lb connector. After a couple thousand rounds for you to really be 'one with the gun' I was every bit as accurate as the $$$$ triggers, and it was so reliable it was downright boring.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...

Small update: I just took possession of a used G34, and went straight to perform a .25 cent trigger job. It ended up being free in reality since I already had all the stuff! :D The whole process took a whopping 30 minutes including disassembly and reassembly. And this was even my first time breaking down the slide internals.

I really must say it's made a large difference. Both the take up and break are much smoother and have no grittiness. It took only a small amount of weight off, which is what I wanted. I recalled that I pulled the trigger once on a shooter's Vanek trigger last week, and I must say my home-brew job feels comparable (albeit heavier, which again was what I wanted).

Anyway, many thanks to you all for your insights.

I have the Vanek GM with the Jager striker in my open pistol and the trigger is very crisp. I have one of his GSSF triggers in my G20 and its pretty light with the normal take up which I dont mind. The GM Trigger has no take up, so its super quick. My G35 has one of Jeff's Edge triggers and I am not sure on it yet. The factory 3.5 lb trigger was pretty decent and I cant even tell the difference between the two. Now with shooting and dryfiring I have only pulled the trigger on it maybe 1000 times so I need to still give it a chance. Your 34 should have had the 3.5 connector in it, which now I would have just let be.

I'll throw in another vote for the stock trigger. I shot a 44.47 second GSSF match with my buddy's 34 that has no trigger work done to it whatsoever. I don't even know if the lower has ever been taken apart. I've felt a few fancy glock triggers, and I'm not a fan. I've also seen several reliability problems with various kinds of trigger jobs.

After having just the polished 3.5 lb and the 25% trigger job and its worked great for along time. I've had a chance to pull on some of the drop ins that can be production legal. I would not buy them. It's just to easy to learn yourself in just a couple of minutes.