Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good AR-15 Building Company?

Duane Thomas

I have an assignment from Dillon's Blue Press to do an article on building an AR-15 for a lady. I'm going for a from-the-ground-up build here. When complete, tested and written up, the rifle will be going to a friend of mine as a present. Can anyone recommend, based on their experience, a company that does top quality AR-15 builds? Don't say, "Do it yourself." :) I know my limitations, and I want this rifle done right, by someone who's been doing it - and doing it well - for years if not decades.

I have done several searches and been unable to find a previously existent thread addressing this sort of question. If anyone can link me to an already existent thread, that would great. Otherwise, any answers here would likewise be greatly appreciated.

Or do it yourself. Some people are dangerous with a screwdriver, a hammer, and some punches. If you can avoid hurting yourself with those basic tools, and are willing to buy/borrow/steal $50-$150 of specialized tools you can build an AR. They REALLY are very simple to build with a handful of tricky spots for which the internet has provided a large list of videos to help you along.

Somehow I think putting it together yourself has the makings of a more interesting article then "I picked some parts and dropped them off at the gunsmith", although I would probably read it anyway.

Tactical Machining in Deland Florida,

They are more than just parts assemblers, They manufacture the lowers in house as well as lower parts kits etc. Junior would be the man to contact as he runs the show over there. They are even playing around with a cool camo finish (I cant remember the name of the process)they refer to it as Multicam, that is tough as nails and litterly covers the entire gun. Its not a paint. They can build you anything you wish.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com

386-490-4464

I recomend calling junior, leave a message if he's not in as they are preparing to move to a new bigger facility, and he is in and out taking care of preperations for the move.

Mark

Edited by mpeltier

Duane, to get the best builder for the task, you'll have to (as mentioned by others) decide just what you want done. A basic M4, no prob. A high-zoot competition gun, that's one crowd. An ultra-light (but not carbon-fiber lower/upper, gack!) Personal defense gun, that's a different crowd.

start deciding up uppers, lowers, barrel lengths and weights, and that will narrow it down.

I'm gonna disagree with Mr Sweeney on this one. I think some builders specialize in certain types of rifles, but the good ones can do it all well. I've seen and handled some of Jim's M-4 type rifles and they were great. Piston driven isn't something you think of coming from a competition gun builder like Firebird, but he does build a great rifle regardless of how you want to dress it up.

Another vote for Jim at Firebird. Jim built my rifle, and is currently building a rifle for my 14 year old daughter. He has gone to great lengths to make sure that the rifle she gets will be just for her.

Jim @ Firebird, Bobby @ Freedom Gunworks, MSTN. I'm sure any of these fellas can build whatever you want to your specs. JP is another one but you may wait longer and it may be pricier. Grant with G & R Tactical can put together a nice one, just have to call him. After building multiple AR's over the years, I have all the tools and know how but if you wanted to pay someone to build one up to your specs, I would say Freedom Gunworks or Firebird, just cause they are vendors here and support the sport.

Duane,

All of the vendors mentioned are certainly worthy of building an AR correctly. Most mentioned will also be built with the utmost attention to detail.

But only one mentioned, Firebird Precision, will build using the components you select and customize the gun according to personal tastes or preferences. I am by nature very attracted to the simple utility of a tool and tend to shun any suggestion of inanimate objects having value based on emotion. After meeting and getting to know Jim and Nanci their commitment to the products they produce is palpable in their work.

Regardless of who you choose, give Jim @ Firebird a call. I am sure when you talk with him and explain your project you will get a good sense of the personal pride and commitment Jim puts into each and every piece that goes through his hands. Truly, the kind of work that is worthy of a very important gift.

Firebird Precision Contact Info

It looks like Jim @ Firebird Precision is the overwhelming recommendation.

As to the type of rifle, I'm looking for something fairly basic that could compete in IDPA's ESG division.

If you want basic, buy something right off the shelf, for a full custom rifle call JP Enterprises :cheers:

I normaly dont post on threads where people are asking questions about (who to choose, or what brand to get)

I know some of the high end builders, and I have a lot or respect for them, I would feel uncomfortable to recomend myself over others.

If per chance I am chosen for this job, I will give my best, but that is what I give on every build I do.

Jim

I don't have experience with Firebird but from what I have heard they pass muster as a top AR company.

I do have experience with JP and Triangle Shooting Sports AR's and can highly recommend either for a quality AR build

For what you're looking for, really any gun monkey can put it together. It's really easy to slap an AR together that will print 1 1/2 to 2 MOA all day long, and cheap. You don't need a custom builder for that, you really just need someone with a pulse. That said, there are some really great AR builders out there. Several have been mentioned. The only one I like that I didn't see was Triangle Shooting Sports. I have rifles from JP and lowers from Firebird. I've also talked a lot with Jim and would have no problem having him build me a rifle. If it was me, for the difference in price between an off the shelf rifle and upgrading a bit in components it's a no brainer. I'd be running better than stock. Have Jim put you together a 16" Lothar Walther barrel, mid length gas system and one of those funny looking carbon fiber forends and you'll have a very quick, easy to use carbine for IDPA that she can use for USPSA and IMGA multi gun as well. Does IDPA allow muzzle breaks?