Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lens Colors

p7fl

Shred,

You ought to try the new Freoon Golf Lenses (a greenish color). Awesome contrast with targets and backgrounds. Absolutely no eye-fatigue. Also, the Laser Blue are really good on bright days as are the greys.

I don't know if the color is as important as the the light transmission level. I have a set of Rudy's with the gray lenses - not sexy - but a very good compromise for changing light conditions. If I lived further south, say AZ, I'd probably be going for less light transmission than living here up north.

BigDave told me recently that polarized lenses can prevent you from seeing the dot ... is that true with all dots and all polarized lenses, or are there just some bad combinations?

I shoot Limited-type stuff, but a couple of my rifles have dots. I'd like to wear Polarized lenses in my Rudys, but I won't waste the money if it's going to be a problem.

Wear the lightest tint you can get away with (i.e. without having to squint of feeling pain)

The more light that your eye receives, the more your iris will constrict. The smaller your iris, the deeper will be your depth of focal field. The greater the depth of field, the less your eye has to adjust to change from a sight focus to a target focus (or anywhere else), and the less blurry the target will be when you are focused on the sight (and vice versa).

As far as color goes, I dunno. As far as the dot reflecting off the glass being polarized (and therefore filtered out completely by polarized lenses, if the polarization happens to be the same), I dunno.

DD

Rhino- Definetly try someones polarized glasses before you buy. I don't shoot open, but the lenses filter out lots of things. They take the glare out of the water, but there are things that I can't see when wearing them..LCD display at the gas pump, display at the money machine, etc. Nothing critical day to day, but picking up a dot on a target could be a problem, and they aren't cheap.

BigDave told me recently that polarized lenses can prevent you from seeing the dot ... is that true with all dots and all polarized lenses, or are there just some bad combinations?

I shoot Limited-type stuff, but a couple of my rifles have dots.  I'd like to wear Polarized lenses in my Rudys, but I won't waste the money if it's going to be a problem.

I wear prescription polarized lenses and I have only ran across one dot that I could not see. I think it was an OKO but I'm not sure. It was 2 years ago.

Oh yeah, I hate gas pump displays! Other than that I really love them.

I've been tending to use the Rudy red lenses for almost everything, indoors and outdoors.

On a very bright day, I did switch to the gray lens and it was a little more comfortable but I'm not sure that it was necessary.

Kevin

I used to spend good money on good glasses.

So what happend? Figured out they're already more expensive than the glock? :P:lol::ph34r:

Peace..

I use the Rudy kerosene with the racing red lenses. One thing I noticed when compared to the laser black lenses that came with it was that my eyes never get strained even when worn all day. Recently, I experimented between the r red and clear while shooting with an overcast sky or late afternoon. I realized I can't see as well (and track the sights) with the red unless it's really sunny (or the sights sit on top of a chromed slide)... go figure...maybe because of the prescription lenses?

Mcoliver,

You need to try the Rudy Action Brown and/or the new Golf (green lenses). They both work well with the red filaments. Currently, I am using a green filament (per my opthamologist's recommendation) with the golf lenses and the contrast is great.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that everyone's eyes are different and their sensitivity to colors vary. The best thing to do is try the lenses and see what works best for you (Same with filament colors). Some people are color blind to certain colors (I have a friend who can't see greens so a green filament/lense doesn't do him any good).

Take care.

Great information.

I was not aware about the iris constricting improving depth of vision.

This weekend I will use the grey to RO, paste etc and switch to a clear lens and a hat when I am in the hole.

thanks.

Like has been previously noted, I don't think there are hard and fast rules on this. My number one consideration, since I wear contacts, is reducing eyestrain due to glare, so I'll tend to wear a darker lens than most. On cloudy to partially overcast days I'll wear yellow - and it goes darker from there.

Mcoliver,

You need to try the Rudy Action Brown and/or the new Golf (green lenses). They both work well with the red filaments. Currently, I am using a green filament (per my opthamologist's recommendation) with the golf lenses and the contrast is great.

Thanks for the info Jack. :)

Two comments about eyewear.

I have to wear progressives as I am getting older (which does beat teh alternative) I chose the Rudys with the flip up wrap-around I think they are the RB3. These put the corrective lens in the correct plane and the wrap around in front. All of the others that I saw put the insert behind the wrap around.

All this having been said, unless it is extremely bright I wear clear and unless the haze is really bad, I wear clear. On the few occasions where I need color I have a medium grey for bright and a vermillion for haze.

The clear seems best, the vermillion has to have the right combination of overcast and brightness or the contrast is not enhanced and can even be diminished. the gray, while nice if really bright can be a problem in shade.

I wear an old washed out ball cap or on really hot days a floppy or Tilley.

Jim

Anybody tried the "laser clear" lense of Rudys? It's a clear lense but the upper portion seems to have a bit of grayish tint and seems to offer "progressive" light transmission. How dos it compare to the all clear lense?

Thanks.