Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP6 / GP6C

Any GP6 owners satisfied? When these first came out there was a lot of stir about them. Then I saw a fair amount of them in the classifieds here on BE. Now I have not seen much conversation in the forums about them. Were they not what you were hoping for in a DA/SA pistol?

I have never been a big fan of DA/SA guns , but if I had to have one I thought this might be a good option compared to Sig 226, Beretta 92, and other recognized service pistols.

What are your thoughts?

I looked into buying one of these when I switched to production, but decided to go for a Glock 34. My reasons being: never seen or held one, just saw it in print(no local dealers),the mags are twice the cost of Glock mags, my familiarity with Glocks, and the longer sight radius on the 34.

Can't say anything negative about the gun, I was just hesitant to blindly spend the money.

Any GP6 owners satisfied? When these first came out there was a lot of stir about them. Then I saw a fair amount of them in the classifieds here on BE. Now I have not seen much conversation in the forums about them. Were they not what you were hoping for in a DA/SA pistol?

I have never been a big fan of DA/SA guns , but if I had to have one I thought this might be a good option compared to Sig 226, Beretta 92, and other recognized service pistols.

What are your thoughts?

The STI GP6 has THE BEST single action trigger pull that I have ever tried in any pistol (including 1911's). Nonetheless the double action pull is certainly nothing to boast about. The pistol's ergonomics are, IMO, marginal and the price of magazines inflated.

If you want a DA/SA pistol that really rocks in Production, look no further than the CZ Shadow...

I've got 2 and really like them. When I shoot Production they are the guns I shoot, just haven't played Production much in the last year to 18 months. Working out new Single Stacks and Limited guns. Plan to play some Revolver and Open this year. Maybe back to Production next year. They are a little different in the action. First shot is long like a double action revolver and all subsequent are much shorter resent than some of my 1911/2011 guns. I know a few other folks shooting that seem to like them. Like all new platforms there were some issues with the first imports (mine are 1st shipment). I didn't like the sights and changed those. Didn't have the larger mag button like the "C" version or the fiber optic front sights. If I were buying today I'd buy the GP6-C

A gun with no aftermarket support, expensive magazines, obsolete trigger mechanism, 4.25" barrel in a game where longer is better, in a market where there are many much better players already established.

I'm on my second, and love them. Some of the criticism is valid, but as I've never had a breakage or problem, I can't say the critics are on solid ground.

Time will tell, but I think if more people could shoot a GP6 back to back with a Shadow, more GP6's would be selling.

Make it in a 5 inch version with an extended threaded barrel and compensator, put a slide ride STS Cmore sight on it and have good reliable 170mm 9mm mags in the 26+ round capacity range for under $100 each,

A gun with no aftermarket support, expensive magazines, obsolete trigger mechanism, 4.25" barrel in a game where longer is better, in a market where there are many much better players already established.

Yep

plus I think when you compare M&P, CZ,XD and especially Glock there you have all that and a history with them.

Must be the time of year for planning and revamping. I thought of this pistol last night along with the CZ and EAA stuff out there. does the GP6C have an Ambi or reversible mag release?

Yes the GP6 has Ambi safeties and an Ambi mag release.

Must be the time of year for planning and revamping. I thought of this pistol last night along with the CZ and EAA stuff out there. does the GP6C have an Ambi or reversible mag release?

Yes Reversible. The GP6/GP6-C is not the platform for everone. It has some advantages and dis-advantages, dependant on what you are looking for and like. It is no more the infinitive answer than is ________________ (insert mfg that you don't care for)

It is a good gun for me and I've been a dedicated Glock shooter since they got to the US. I still like own and shoot Glocks,as well as, 1911, 2011, Bul-M5's, Caspian, and S&W Revolvers. Find someone near that has one and shoot it. Make an educated decision. I bought my first one without that availibility. I then bought a second one. When I go back to shooting Production I may by a GP6-C. Best of luck!

Edited by pvhendrix

I have a GP6-C and it's a fine gun.Both DA and SA) triggers are great, it rarely jams on me, and unlike both Glocks and XDs it has a thumb safety to keep my thumb off the slidelock (which is a godsend in IDPA)(I'm used to 1911s). At $850 it's a little pricier than a decked-out G34, depending on the parts you put in it.

Three things I really don't like about the GP6. Aftermarket support is virtually nonexistent (Dawson offers sights, Blade-Tech makes holsters), the thumb safety is small, about the size of a GI 1911 safety, and there is no decock lever, which is kind of unsafe as you have to lower the hammer manually. Also it would be nice in a 5'' setup for Production, but that's not a very big deal to me.

I got my GP6-C after trying Canuck223's gun. :)

Mine had issues with a defective extractor, but that was resolved quickly. Its a great gun, IMO. However, I ended up using the Shadow for IPSC, mostly because I'm still learning to engage multiple targets quickly, and the inertia of a heavier Shadow helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so what are it's advantages for USPSA production ? WHat can it do that a 5" M&P or Glock cant do better for less money ?

Two words. Trigger feel.

You really need to experience it to believe it. Put a mag through the GP6 and compare it to any other, and you will not begrudge the extra cash.

I like mine. Decent DA/SA trigger (I just don't like that whole concept). Shoots well and feels good in the hand.

Without support though it does become a little 'generic' in the market place.

Edited by bubbadoc

What are your thoughts?

I have had a GP6 for a few weeks now and thoroughly like it. It is great in the hand, narrower than expected with great balance. Very accurate out of the box with a very managable recoil. Looking forward to many hours on the range.

It sounded interesting, but then I read that there's no decocker, so you have to manually lower the hammer. I don't need to worry about DQing every time I make ready, so I lost all interest.

It sounded interesting, but then I read that there's no decocker, so you have to manually lower the hammer. I don't need to worry about DQing every time I make ready, so I lost all interest.

I have been shooting production with my Shadow Custom for over a year and a half and also have to lower my hammer manually and it has never been a problem or never been DQ'ED. For someone looking for a da/sa gun for production without a decocker it isnt a big deal as some others make it out to be. If your careless then of course it could happen.

Have to do that on the cz's

I am constantly amazed that this comes up as a concern.

I am constantly amazed that this comes up as a concern.

Yep, kinda like 1911 owners that will not carry cocked and locked :surprise:

seems to be a fear for some...as have seen this stated as a concern. also seems some ROs/SOs find it disconcerting as well.