Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Larue or Noveske

WildWest N AZ

I don't know why you wouldn't cary an STI, after all a certain part of the U.S. Military carries STI Edges!, and J.P. rifles and parts are found in the Military as well! Now I am not knocking the rifles you mentioned but they are more like "high end" assemblers where as J.P. is a high end BUILDER!!!

I have a couple/few of each and think they are all great rifles and great companies.

I don't shoot 2 legged creatures for a living, but the only concern with a JP would be if the screw worked it's way out of the adjustable gas block (however, it's never happened with a couple thousand rounds through both of mine). As far as reliability goes, I clean mine twice a year and shoot winchester, prvi, and some match grade ammo and have NEVER had a malfunction with my JPs.

I just went and looked at JPs website and they're offering the LRP-07 with a 14.5" barrel, side charging handle on their 223 and also a standard charging handle plus side charger on their 223.

Maybe it's time to order another one!

Edited by DMAC

But will the competiton-oriented JP, be just as reliable in battle as noveske or larue? I dont think Ive ever seen a jp rifle on you tube.

Not sure on that one??? I do know after talking w/JP on the phone which to my surprise a lot of law enforcement carry JP's including some swat teams. those guys wouldnt run them if they thought they wouldnt run when there life or someone else's depends on it.

my brain hurts on what to buy... LoL The larue is out only due to they arent willing to change a few small things out for me with credit towards what I want on the gun. Its between JP and Noveske at this point and I feel I cant go wrong with either company.

Between Noveske and Firebird I would get a Firebird. Above both I would spec out a JP my way!!! ....and if you really like the Noveske barrel you can put one in your JP after a couple of years. :cheers:

TRY Firebird. You will get excellent service. His stuff is very very good, he does not have the name recognition that others my have but his stuff rocks.

Firebird was my original thought for the OP as I think their products are ingenious and right up my alley. The reason JP has the edge for this is because they have a bigger bag o' tricks/original parts to pull from which cover all areas important to the OP. I can't wait to see what Firebird ends up with in a couple of years. They are well on their way.

Does anyone have or know of someone that has the JP-15D, wondering what they thought of it? Sounds strange to ask about that model but after looking at everything JP has to offer I feel that maybe very very close to what I want. On the other hand If I go with an 18 in barrel its the stardard JP-15.

I enjoy building my own rifles (or assembling them as Kurt would say). I have built 2JPs and 1 Firebird. I have nothing against my Firebird, but the customer service I got from JP was WAY better, and you just can't beat the deal that JP has going right now. $299 for a lower with a JP trigger installed in it. For the self builder, it just can't get any better. Someone above mentioned reliability with things like set screws on the gas block. You can always use a non adjustable block, or simply use a drop of red loctite and that problem simply does not exist. I own 6 ARs, and my best two are the JPs. You will not be sorry if you go with a JP.

I just went and looked at JPs website and they're offering the LRP-07 with a 14.5" barrel, side charging handle on their 223 and also a standard charging handle plus side charger on their 223.

Maybe it's time to order another one!

I really do like JP rifles and especially now sins they got a side charging handle I am in love. But do they not look very much like http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/ASA_AR_15_M4_Side_Charger_Upper_Receiver_without_Carrier-124-12.html or is just my imagination?

Edited by 1911vm

"Since you mentioned some tactical use Noveske makes the best rifles when it comes to building depend your life on rifles. They are new into three gun but they are a big player in the tactical rifle crowd with a well earned reputation for making the best of the best".

+1 on this - I would go with the noveske.

What "tactical" use are you looking to get out of your rifle? Is it going to be a duty gun or do you plan on taking classes with it? The big thing here is that you're going to pay extra money for various components and probably not use the weapon enough to really see the benefits of those parts. Like the others mentioned, I'd say go with a solid build from a company like JP that is going to be a good shooter in addition to being a little more tailored to competitions. With the discount/special offer prices some have mentioned too it seems like a great deal.

Also, regarding the post someone made about STI Edges and JP Rifles currently in service with the US Military.... what? I'm not saying that those products aren't fantastic or that they wouldn't hold up to use in the military, but I've been around the block a bit and have yet to see any of the "other guys" (who would be the only types even remotely authorized to have non-standard weapons) canoeing talib foreheads with a JP or an STI Edge. Were you referring to AMU or specialized shooting teams within the military?

14.5" CTR-07s and Edges, Maybe not main line but definetly there! Kind of Like Reed Knight's stuff back when, and I can definetly say the CTR-07 ( although not under that designation) is being used. Edge,s?? maybe not as the first 900 had feed issues but they were tested quit a bit, and I had "heard" the Edge was being used...but hey I have been wrong lot,s of times :rolleyes:

I would agree im not really big on JP's adj gas block sys. I will check into a non adj one but if not red thread locker will do the trick.

I guess why I havent made my mind up yet would be I love the way the Noveske looks, but at just under 2500 the thought of having to spend another 500 at least for the grip i prefer, UBR stock, and a nice single stage trigger now 3k is a bit hard to swallow. The JP 15 on the other hand comes in 2435 just the way I would want it. A hasty decision on my part could have me wondering what if in the long run. plus with 4 to 8 wk wait it will be awhile before i can post a pic of what I end up getting. Im gonna go check out SMM 3 gun event in mesa at the end of the month to see these companys toys in something other than pics and I think that will help me decide after seeing them in person.

Thanks to evenyone here who has taken the time to help me out... WWNAZ

That's exactly why I started building them myself, lol. Are there any good smiths in your area? I don't know where Wittmann is in comparison to everything else, but I have found that AZ seems to have a TON of reputable gun shops/smiths. You always have the option of buying everything in pieces/parts and having a smith assemble it. If it's a cool smith, he may let you hang out and learn as well. I would always shop around everywhere before I pulled the trigger (including used) on purchasing a part. For instance, I wanted the Young MFG NM Light BCG and found a new one for $209 when most of the other big online stores wanted $250 or so using Froogle.com (Google's shopping search engine). On the flip side, I've been guilty of going through stocks like crazy before I finally settled on the PRS. I had a Magpul CTR, Magpul UBR, LMT SOPMOD and finally the PRS. I sold them all on online forums like this in a used, but definitely not abused state for usually a significant chunk less than the new cost.

14.5" CTR-07s and Edges, Maybe not main line but definetly there! Kind of Like Reed Knight's stuff back when, and I can definetly say the CTR-07 ( although not under that designation) is being used. Edge,s?? maybe not as the first 900 had feed issues but they were tested quit a bit, and I had "heard" the Edge was being used...but hey I have been wrong lot,s of times :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the Edge was tested but found lacking in reliability to be a service pistol. The Glock 22 won out.

Thanks Kelly! That clears that up nicely, as I had Heard that they had them, but hadn't heard about it in a while.

Jammie, remeber you are healing right up to the time you expire! :roflol:

• 1 month later...

A Noveske is at home in both tactical crowd as well as competition. Noveske Barrel, Vltor Upper, Geisselle Trigger, SJC Break.

A competition ready rifle is available http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=18nst-556&cat=147&page=1&search=&since=&status=

You then can call Sheri, Todd if you like your barrel lightened, gas system changed etc.

I would go with Noveske or JP.

I do not like set screws. They will invariable loosen, given enough time.

Be very, very sure about the barrel profile (weight) you order. This can make a HUGE difference in whether you love or hate the rifle. If possible, try someone else's before you buy.

I think they were STI Tacticals (Edge type gun with a light rail) that were tested by a certain unit (or units?), 900 or so as said above. What I heard was no one cleaned their magazines as religiously as STI type guns can require for proper function, and they were rejected. Anyone remember a few years ago when STI offered a batch of used Tacticals for a very nice price?

A Noveske is at home in both tactical crowd as well as competition. Noveske Barrel, Vltor Upper, Geisselle Trigger, SJC Break.

A competition ready rifle is available http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=18nst-556&cat=147&page=1&search=&since=&status=

You then can call Sheri, Todd if you like your barrel lightened, gas system changed etc.

I have this upper and love it. Shoots flat. I can't say anything bad about it.

:cheers: