Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefty issues

Fishhog

They say that 10% of the population is wrong-handed. Lucky for me, I'm one the "special" people living in a right-handed world.

So my question relates to mag & slide releases. My Glock 35 has an extended slide & mag releases. I have been using my left index finger to operate both, but that forces me to have to cgange my grip up in order to do so. Maybe that's just the way it is.

Any other "special" people out there with any expereience or tips?

OK, I'm going to really mess with you...I'm left handed. I write, punch and bat left handed but I shoot right handed. The good news for me is that I can shoot you and punch you at the same time. :roflol:

I'm not real familiar with the G35 so I have to ask....can you change the mag release to the other side like you can on the M&P? If so I would give that a try. As for the slide release I wouldn't worry about it just rack it.

They make ambi mag releases for Glocks, but I hear they are iffy. Never used one though. In the meantime you can simply release the mag with your right pointer finger by reaching around in front of the grip. That way you do not break your master grip. For releasing the slide simply slingshot it with your right hand.

OK, I'm going to really mess with you...I'm left handed. I write, punch and bat left handed but I shoot right handed. The good news for me is that I can shoot you and punch you at the same time. :roflol:

I'm not real familiar with the G35 so I have to ask....can you change the mag release to the other side like you can on the M&P? If so I would give that a try. As for the slide release I wouldn't worry about it just rack it.

I'm the same way. I shoot handguns right handed. Just feels natural. I shoot rifles and shotguns left handed though. My AK blasts me in the face with all kinds of nasty stuff. I would like to have an assault rifle built for a southpaw someday

I am left handed, shoot left handed, have shot G34 in USPSA Production for several years in the past. Also tried ambi controls on CZs and M&Ps and, for me, I find that using my left index finger for ejecting mags and dropping the slide causes me to alter my grip less than if I used my thumb.

With your current gun, You can get a bigger after-market mag release but, doing so will kick you out of Production Division. (If that is a concern for you)

As to releasing the slide, if you rest your left index finger on top of the lever and slam a fresh mag in, you will find that the slide will close and feed a fresh round into the chamber. If that doesn't work for you, you can also slingshot the slide.

I believe to get ambi mag release with a Glock, you have to go to Gen4 frames and Gen4 mags. I don't think Glock has yet released the long slide models with this new frame at this time.

To get a true ambi slide release, you will have to look elsewhere. S&W M&Ps, CZ85s are the two that come immediately to my mind... but expect there are few others.

Edited by Wideload

i am left handed and i shoot glock 34 and 1911 in uspsa and idpa. I lay my trigger finger right on top of the slide release while using my second finger to release the mag, in doing so as soon as i slam a magezine home the slide release is automatically engaged making my slide lock reload faster with less movement to do.

I also have a XD45 that has a ambi safety but i dont use it, when i use the ambi safety i have to change my grip just a bit to reach the safety, i actually feel like i have an advantage being left handed with reloads.

For the slide lock, reach under the gun with your weak hand and press it then roll back into your grip.

For the magazine release, use either your index or middle finger (whichever one feels more natural).

For the slide lock, reach under the gun with your weak hand and press it then roll back into your grip.

Really, you'd perfer to reach around under the gun, rather than just pulling the slide back with your weak hand? I'll admit though, I've never tried that, I guess I'll have to give it a shot.

I actually like index finger magazine release, but maybe that's because it's basically all I've ever known as a lefty. I've never really seen the magazine release as an impediment to left handed shooting.

I recently switched from using my middle finger of my left hand to my thumb on a Gen 4 Glock. I was worried I wouldn't like it or that I would revert back under stress, but so far I love it. As for the slide release, I dont believe there is a much faster way EITHER handed than a lefty putting the trigger finger on an extended right handed left side slide stop mentioned earlier. The slide stop seems to give Right handed shooters with a good thumbs forward grip headaches.

Dude - you and I would make a great team, were both messed up :ph34r: . I'm predominately left handed, writing and so forth, and shoot left handed. However, I play sports right handed, football, baseball, etc. I was all jacked up when it came to raquetball. Had the control with left, but power with the right :surprise:

The main reason I asked is the slide release. Dropping mags isn't all that difficult, but I had been using my trigger finger to release the slide and the glock slide release is a tough mofo. Hopefull it's because the gun is new. I have a Kimber Pro Raptor II that I can release the slide like butter using the same method.

Anyways, thanks to all of you for your insight and tips!!!!

I'm a lefty who shoots a G35 and G34 in USPSA and IDPA. I prefer the Glock extended slide stop and mag release. Like most in the thread, I use my index finger on top of the slide stop when inserting a magazine to drop the slide. Shooting a lot of IDPA I've gotten pretty good at this and I can't remember the last time I had to rack the slide cause it didn't drop on insertion. As far as pushing the mag release, I prefer the middle finger on my left hand. I tried the index finger but it took a lot of shifting of the gun in my hand to get to the button. With the middle finger, I loosen up my left hand a bit, straighten the index finger along the frame, curl the middle finger back and press the mag release with the top side of the middle finger, right where the nail meets the skin below it (sometimes I tape that area during reload practice as the skin can get a bit torn up). If it is a slide lock reload I then shift my index finger up and on top of the slide stop and insert the new mag with a bit of force. Doesn't have to be too hard but it does take a good whack. As I am bringing up my support hand to reform my grip I slightly loosen my left hand and rewrap my grip properly. Sounds like a lot but most of the movements are pretty small. If I don't do the last part where I loosen up the left hand the gun ends up pointing to the right a little after the reload. Took me a while to burn that one in to my brain.

When the 4th gen Glocks came out I ran to the gun store to check them out to see if I could finally be like all the right handed people and use my thumb to reload. Turns out even with the bigger button and being on the other side of the gun I have to break my shooting grip to push the damn button. Go figure! I am sticking with the controls on the left side of the gun.

Oh, I did loosen up the spring just a wee bit on the mag release to make it easier to press with the top side of my middle finger. Took some trial and error to find the sweet spot where mags wouldn't just fall out of the gun under recoil.

I'm the same way. I shoot handguns right handed. Just feels natural. I shoot rifles and shotguns left handed though. My AK blasts me in the face with all kinds of nasty stuff. I would like to have an assault rifle built for a southpaw someday

I thought i was the only one that shoots left handed but every other thing i do is almost right handed, I had a rock river custom built for lefty with ambi everything, i didnt like the ambi mag release because it was so far forward i had to totally lose my grip to reach it, but i did like the fact that i didnt have to worry about getting pelted in the face with brass.

The funny thing was watching right handers try to shoot it without getting brass in the face.

I'm a lefty who shoots a G35 and G34 in USPSA and IDPA. I prefer the Glock extended slide stop and mag release. Like most in the thread, I use my index finger on top of the slide stop when inserting a magazine to drop the slide. Shooting a lot of IDPA I've gotten pretty good at this and I can't remember the last time I had to rack the slide cause it didn't drop on insertion. As far as pushing the mag release, I prefer the middle finger on my left hand. I tried the index finger but it took a lot of shifting of the gun in my hand to get to the button. With the middle finger, I loosen up my left hand a bit, straighten the index finger along the frame, curl the middle finger back and press the mag release with the top side of the middle finger, right where the nail meets the skin below it (sometimes I tape that area during reload practice as the skin can get a bit torn up). If it is a slide lock reload I then shift my index finger up and on top of the slide stop and insert the new mag with a bit of force. Doesn't have to be too hard but it does take a good whack. As I am bringing up my support hand to reform my grip I slightly loosen my left hand and rewrap my grip properly. Sounds like a lot but most of the movements are pretty small. If I don't do the last part where I loosen up the left hand the gun ends up pointing to the right a little after the reload. Took me a while to burn that one in to my brain.

When the 4th gen Glocks came out I ran to the gun store to check them out to see if I could finally be like all the right handed people and use my thumb to reload. Turns out even with the bigger button and being on the other side of the gun I have to break my shooting grip to push the damn button. Go figure! I am sticking with the controls on the left side of the gun.

Oh, I did loosen up the spring just a wee bit on the mag release to make it easier to press with the top side of my middle finger. Took some trial and error to find the sweet spot where mags wouldn't just fall out of the gun under recoil.

Wurm - That's an excellent breakdown. Thanks for taking the time to type it all out!!!

I'm left handed shooting an Infinity, and usually don't use my slide release- If I have to drop the slide, I just grab the forward cerations and pull. That way, I don't have to change my left's grip on the gun. Of course, that being said, my gun is now out having the mag release converted to a lefty release with no last round lock back.

not to hijack but...

in the spirit of all things lefty,

how difacult is that coversion?

I was thinking about it the other day on a 1911.

I'm assuming yours is a 2011 but should be similar mock up.

I tried that, "reach under the gun with the weak hand to release the slide, then roll back into a 2-hand grip" trick tonight when practacing reloads, and I must say that's kind of slick.

Thanks for the tip.

Jason

Edited by JasonS

I prefer to use my thumb. I have the Jimmy Mitchell right side mag release on my 1911 and 2011's, and switch it to the right side on my CZ's too.

It's real easy to use the slide release on a 1911. My index finger on my strong hand reaches it perfectly, almost like it was made for a lefty. :ph34r:

not to hijack but...

in the spirit of all things lefty,

how difacult is that coversion?

I was thinking about it the other day on a 1911.

I'm assuming yours is a 2011 but should be similar mock up.

On the SV, not difficult at all. The frame is already cut ambi, so it's an easy change for a stock part.

Edited by Benl

• 3 weeks later...

http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-google&rdm=4m2ax5euw#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=MfxZGH2wiWg

Left Handed with a Glock 34. Non-extended (G17) mag release, extended slide stop.

Roll ring finger of strong hand up to depress mag catch.

Straighten index finger and place fingertip on top corner of slide, so that lower knuckle in finger rests just above slide stop lever.

Seat magazine firmly, and the gun will be bumped upward into your trigger finger.

Extend and fire.

I'm a lefty and was just chuckling to myself about a gun rag article about reversible releases for lefties. Seems pointless to me. We have had to adapt to a right handed world since birth, so to me what's the difference now. The lefties I know and have shot with always just used the index finger for all the above procedures and just shift the grip a hair if necessary. Can't reload with a finger in the trigger guard either that way either. I also think it's easier for a lefty to reload a revolver too, but that's a story for another day.

I'm a lefty and was just chuckling to myself about a gun rag article about reversible releases for lefties. Seems pointless to me. We have had to adapt to a right handed world since birth, so to me what's the difference now. The lefties I know and have shot with always just used the index finger for all the above procedures and just shift the grip a hair if necessary. Can't reload with a finger in the trigger guard either that way either. I also think it's easier for a lefty to reload a revolver too, but that's a story for another day.

I would like to see a easy reload with a wheel gun for leftys, I would like to eventually try revolver division but that has been in the back of my mind is that darn reload.