Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Own Build vs Factory vs Custom Gun

Definitely build it. Buy the top shelf parts to your heart's content, then put it together. I know there is prestige in owning a great builder like a Noveske, or Firebird, but this is really doable at home.

Half of the fun of shooting is building the guns myself (for ARs anyway) and I learned a ton about the platform by doing it this way. Granted, there is a warm and fuzzy you get from buying a complete, whether whole rifle or upper/lower, from a reputable company. For 1911s and bolt action I usually pick out parts with my smith and he does most of the work. I did have a harrowing experience using a dremel tool on a 1953 Colt Commander in a couple of spots, flared ejection port, counter sunk and flushed slide stop and fitting an Ed Brown beavertail, but even my gunsmith said I did a great job with it.

The AR-15 is truly a drop-in platform as long as you're buying quality parts and understand little nuances like commercial vs milspec receiver extensions if you're using a carbine length tube/stock, colt take-down pins vs virtually everyone else, etc. I don't think I've ever had to custom fit anything. The only down side about building them yourself is buying some of the smith specific tools (action block, good barrel wrench, etc.)

A good tip I picked up was borrowing a torque wrench from AutoZone when you need to torque anything on the AR - saves you the cost of $100 for a couple minute task.

no clear answer, I've both complete Firebird guns as well as those of my own doing. and i run both.

Ditto that. I have two complete Firebirds that Jim built, I built all of the others. Since my "main" match rifle is a Firebird build, I voted custom.

I dont know how to answer :roflol:

Yes I do shoot a custom built rifle

But I also built it myself :rolleyes:

I do understand the desire to build your own stuff, its as American as apple pie :cheers:

It seems I just had to take it to the next level :D

Jim

I've built 15-20 AR's from parts, My main match rifle is still a JP though. None of the stuff I've assembled can beat it. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong. My JP shoots 1/3 MOA out to 300 (Haven't tried for groups past that). Best I can do with a rifle built myself is that 3/4 ish MOA range. Then again I haven't put a $400 barrel in anything I build either. I enjoy building AR's but there is a definite level of quality and precision with the JP that I can't match with my stuff.

I have 1 factory rifle (main competition rifle) that I have done a lot of fiddling with (changed lots of parts). My irons' rifle was a Bravo Co upper I converted to piston, and a stripped lower I put together... There should have been a "franken-ar" category :roflol:

I am kinda in between custom and home build. My gun is 99% JP with a different lower and upper that I liked the look of more. If you buy all the high end parts like JP or Firebird and assemble it yourself you will save money and have just as good of a gun.

overall.jpg

IMG-20101120-00002.jpg

It's now wearing an ancient (I think Vietnam era), M16A1 stock and I ground off the bayonet lug and the sling swivels from the front sight. I also put some small dimples on the barrel for the set screws on the front sight to gain purchase.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

I'm just the trigger man. Let someone with real skills put these things together. :)

+ 1

The worst thing that could happen is you would get lucky with your first build and it would shoot great, -For a Wile- , and thin you would not know what was wrong or ware to look.

How many motors have you built?

Have you over hauled Scuba regulators?

or at least a several dozen Calibrator over hauls? ;)

You shoot Way Too good to wast your practice time

Edited by AlamoShooter

How many motors have you built? About 30 or so.

Have you over hauled Scuba regulators? Do Oxygen and flammable gas regulators count? If so, yes.

or at least a several dozen Calibrator over hauls? ;) Carburetors? Yes

You shoot Way Too good to wast your practice time...There is some amount of confidence that building it myself instills. Might be as good as practice...Dunno.

I'm running a used DIY Open gun so I marked "build your own" though I did not build it myself.

I have had to make a few repairs and I'm getting ready to change out the C-More mount to a Cheely and I'm thinking next winter I may send the slide off for a racker and maybe some weight reduction cuts, possibly replace or stipple the grip - then it would be more of a DIY gun.