Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Striker

SRT Driver

After I broke the tip on a couple of stock strikers, I started using the Lightning Strike lightened steel striker in both my 34 and 35 and have had no problems. I think the steel in the LS striker is stronger than the stock striker, plus it improves the feel of the action IMO. Nevertheless, I would not be surprised if the LS striker might also break after a while just based on the design of that striker.

Thanks for the input everyone! :D

Luckily, a Glock rep was at a local shop today and he replaced the striker free!! :)

He said in 10 years he has seen one break like mine did. The whole tip was gone and broke flush with the wider part of the striker. He took it and is sending it to Smyrna.

I think I'll buy an LS striker and throw it in the bag.

• 3 weeks later...

No prob's with my 22's striker but the extractor broke last week. Knocked the tip off at the bottom. Caused FTE's like crazy. $18 for a new one and I'm back in the groove.

Never heard of Glocks having a problem with extractors. Now I'm wondering if I should carry a spare.

What do y'all think?

I always carried a spare parts kit, even for the Glock. Figured it couldn't hurt. I always replace the stock firing pin with the lightened steel striker and replace the stock plastic recoil rod assembly with a steel unit with 13 pound spring. After the replacement of parts, I'd keep the stock parts and springs in the range bag as spares just in case. In addition to the spared off parts from the replacements, I bought an extractor and spring loaded bearing to add to the parts kit also. I'd heard, and my experience has been the above mentioned parts were the ones that generally break most often. I can't say that I ever needed them, but I do recall giving them to other shooters who had problems.

Never heard of Glocks having a problem with extractors. Now I'm wondering if I should carry a spare.

I had my G21's chip off on me a couple of years ago. I should have noticed it before it started to fail, but I wasn't reloading yet, and I wasn't paying enough attention to my brass. The brass had the markings at the head.

I've had an extractor break in a G23 the first stage into a match. It was about to be a short day for me until someone gave me a spare. I don't ever want to go through that again so I carry a spare extractor, striker, trigger spring, recoil spring/captive guiderod when I shoot the glock. Stocking up spares for the glock is relatively easy and not that expensive so it seemed silly not to (a lot easier and cheaper than stocking spares for an S_I).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
After I broke the tip on a couple of stock strikers, I started using the Lightning Strike lightened steel striker in both my 34 and 35 and have had no problems. I think the steel in the LS striker is stronger than the stock striker, plus it improves the feel of the action IMO. Nevertheless, I would not be surprised if the LS striker might also break after a while just based on the design of that striker.

I have not broken a stock striker (at least not yet), but I HAVE broken a Lightning Strike

lightened steel striker! Snapped the tip off sometime during a dry fire session.

Luckily I discovered it at a practice session rather than a match. Called Lightning Strike,

they sent a new one, no charge. Nice people. Now I visually check to see if there is still a

striker tip there after any dry fire.

i read a post earlier saying they do. I wonder if they break any more than the stock srikers

I assume a titanium striker would be more brittle and prone to breakage than a steel one. The steel ones may vary on toughness depending upon steel type and if they are hardened or not. That narrow tip is sure a crappy design...... and it sure is an expensive part compared to a 1911 firing pin.

Edited by bountyhunter

Thanks for the input everyone! :D

Luckily, a Glock rep was at a local shop today and he replaced the striker free!! :)

He said in 10 years he has seen one break like mine did. The whole tip was gone and broke flush with the wider part of the striker. He took it and is sending it to Smyrna.

I think I'll buy an LS striker and throw it in the bag.

Yep broke a G22 striker the same way. I hear it's rare but now I carry a spare.

I have been running LS strikers since the first generation of 'em. (The ones that were "natural" titanium without the nitride coating) I have only broken one, and it was a first generation.

Extractors breaking are a relative rarity now. There was a time when they broke all the time, especially in the 40 cal guns. The extractors had no bottom bevel on them and as the round cammed under it during the feeding cycle, it was putting a lot of stress on the bottom of the claw. Glock changed the design in '96 (?) and put a 5-degree slant into the face of the claw and the problem all but disappeared.

Edited by Braxton1

I broke a stock firing pin on a G22 just as described, with the complete tip broken off. I then put in a Lightning Strike, and it broke too. In fact I never got to shoot the Lightning Strike. It broke after a few dry fires. That was about 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.