Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide and frame don't match is this legal in USPSA?

glocklover

I need to send in my Glock 35 frame to be repaired. I put my Glock 17 frame on my Glock 35 slide until my Glock 35 frame is repaired. My question is is this legal if I go to a major match or will they tell me I can't compete?

I know I could shoot my Glock 17, but I have a lot of 40 bullets and magazines.

Craig

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this for production or limited/lim 10? In limited/lim 10 your good to go. In production you can't switch calibers. There are probibally several guns being shot like that right now. Just look how many people are buying replacement slides.

If the frame is back at glock getting repaired ie replaced it is going to have a different serial number when it comes back so matching serial numbers arn't always there on glocks. Glock doesn't take just frames last I checked. So the whole gun needs to go. What is messed up with the frame?

Edited by EkuJustice

If I remember correctly, the G17 and G35 frames are identical and you are allowed to substitute external components with OEM parts (as you are doing by using another Glock frame) per Rules Handbook Appendix D4 - Production.

The minimum caliber for Production is 9x19 but you can shoot larger calibers if you so choose. If you go to a larger match, you'd be entering with the substitute slide and shoot it throughout the match, so no issues there. You'd be chrono'd with your .40's.

I would say you can shoot. But to be legit about it fire off an email to John Amidon dnroi@uspsa.org

Simply ask him if you are allowed to compete (in any division) with an identical OEM

replacement frame that has a different serial number. This will be the case regardless of

which frame you are shooting with. Print the reponse and put in your bag along with your

rule book. I am sure this has been touched on before on this forum.

Jim

I usually shoot production. How would a RO know that the lower is different? The serial numbers would be different, but if I got a replacement frame the serial numbers would be different.

I really don't think anyone would even look. But if they did it shouldn't matter since the frame is the same on both models. Your not making it into something Glock never offered, your just changing to an identical part except for serial number.

Legal. Not super experienced but have read the rule book. The glock 35 frame and glock 17 frame are identical. If you have a glock 35 ejector and a glock 35 slide its a glock 35 with all factory externals.

USPSA would probably tell you that since Glock never made a G17 with a G35 slide, it would not be legal for Production.

As for a level I match, not sure I would deny you the trigger time.

Correct on both counts.

:cheers:

Curtis

I would say you can shoot. But to be legit about it fire off an email to John Amidon dnroi@uspsa.org

Simply ask him if you are allowed to compete (in any division) with an identical OEM

replacement frame that has a different serial number. This will be the case regardless of

which frame you are shooting with. Print the reponse and put in your bag along with your

Jim

Well ,I received the offical word from John and it is not legal. Hopefully, the frame will be back in time for my first area match.

Thanks for your help, Craig

Jim

Well ,I received the offical word from John and it is not legal. Hopefully, the frame will be back in time for my first area match.

Sorry to tell you wrong, doesn't make sense as it doesn't give an advantage but rules are rules and I'm just here to play the game.

Jim

Sorry to tell you wrong, doesn't make sense as it doesn't give an advantage but rules are rules and I'm just here to play the game.

Well rules are rules.

It's not legal, quit giving him bad advice. John has said many times that you can't swap calibers on the Glock frame to something they haven't made. i.e. Glock 20 with .40 cal barrel, Glock 17 with Glock 34 slide, Glock 17 with Glock 35 slide, Glock 17 RTF frame with Glock 34 slide etc. Yes the frames are the same for Glock. No they aren't for many other manufacturers. Allowing it for one gun design/manufacturer will open up a can of worms that USPSA is not willing to crack the seal on. Besides if you read post 12 John already told him it's not legal. Why would you then say it is?

If you want to shoot while your gun is being serviced, just shoot Lim or Lim 10 with that set up. It is legal for either of those Divisions. Just make sure you swap the ejector to a .40 from a 9mm.

I have to agree with Chuck. Here's the rule to I cite as to why it is illegal to swap in the G35 top unto the G17 frame for Production:

Appendix D4. 21.3

After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, contour and caliber as original factory standard.

SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect – You may replace the slide with an OEM or aftermarket slide which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun.

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OEM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

Special Notes/Clarifications: For purposes of this interpretation, a barrel within +/- 0.1" of OEM is "the same length".

Glock 17: 114mm long barrel shooting 9mm caliber bullet

Glock 35: 135mm long barrel shooting .40 caliber bullet

I don't know how people who are saying that it's legal in Production are getting around D4 21.3. What am I missing?

Edited by Skydiver

I don't know how people who are saying that it's legal in Production are getting around D4 21.3. What am I missing?

Probably because if I hand you a frame from a 17, 34, and 35 you would not be able to identify which goes to which slide. How would that rule be enforceable?

*not arguing the rule or advocating the breaking of it, just answering your question*

Jim

Sorry to hear. But as mentioned, you're not without a lot of good options. Hope you get back to your shooting soon!

Jim

What makes it frustrating is that if Glock sends back a frame with a new s/n how with the OP prove that his "new" frame was indeed for a G35 as opposed to say a G17/34? The RO will see the same thing in either scenario- different s/ns and that's it.

What makes it frustrating is that if Glock sends back a frame with a new s/n how with the OP prove that his "new" frame was indeed for a G35 as opposed to say a G17/34? The RO will see the same thing in either scenario- different s/ns and that's it.

Ask Glock if they can send you documentation that Model 35 frame serial # XXXXXX was replaced with Model 35 frame serial # YYYYYY. Then you are covered if it is ever questioned.

This is not a violation of the rules, since the manufacturer has taken a frame that likely was not mated to an upper, designated as a replacement part for the firearm in question, and therefore, it is defined as being the same caliber as the original. You can't redesignate frames from different caliber guns you have at home, though, since whatever you have at home comes off a complete unit. Swapping the frames from guns of the same caliber and model is common and kosher, though.

I doubt Chronoman or whomever is designated at a major to check for Division compliance will even bother to compare the serial numbers on the upper and lower of your Production Glock for the reasons above, though I suppose it is within NROI's purview to ask. If it's a replacement issued by the manufacturer, or off the same model Glock, you're good. If you announce otherwise, welcome to Open.

Shoot Lim 10 with it, it's the same game as Production but you get scored Major. I made the switch last year and love it. :cheers:

Not exactly. Production gets scored minor and L10 gets scored major, yes....But in L10, you must make major PF to score major, otherwise you are still shooting minor. To someone used to shooting minor in production, shooting major out of the same gun IS NOT the same thing. Now, if they still shot minor in L10, well then it would be the same.