Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frequent shooters, how's your hearing?

Started shooting alot more from the beginning of last year. I have noticed that when it's dead quiet I get some ringing in my ears; like when i have my head agaist the pillow.

Previously, I felt just the disposable earplugs or my over the ear protection isn't enough. Especially since most are shooting their rifles with compensators/brakes. So I recently started wearing disposable earplugs and the howard leight Impact Sport electronic hearing protection (22 NRR).

But at matches i see plenty of people who wear just one or the other. do i just have sensitive hearing? Or are you more than frequent shooters experiencing the same or worse?

Edited by Jin

welcome to the wonderful world of Tinnitus. I have that ringing too, but only when its dead silent (like you mentioned, when i try to go to sleep at night). I turn the tv on a very low volume, set the sleep time for 60 minutes and off to sleep I go. Its about the only time I really notice it.

I double plug when shooting, but im sure years of hunting with no hearing protection has done a little damage already and Im sure all the concerts I went to a couple years ago didnt help any...

Shooting with Open guns indoors is the absolute worse! I try to avoid indoor shooting for a number of reasons... noise being one of them.

I too have the ringing- not sure it's just from the shooting though- cutting the lawn, using the leaf blower and snow blower without ear plugs doesn't help. Too much load music as a kid too.

Dr. said it happens when people get older.... and unlike my blood pressure... I should just try to ignore it!

Check with your doctor... it could be an infection that causing pressure that increases when you put your head against a pillow. There could be other causes so the best bet is to get it checked out before it gets worse, there may be treatment depending on the cause.

I double plug when shooting, but im sure years of hunting with no hearing protection has done a little damage already and Im sure all the concerts I went to a couple years ago didnt help any...

it's not a big deal now; mild.

But I am going to continue double bagging from here on out for sure.

Thanks!

My wife says I am loosing my hearing, but I tell her it's because she mumbles or starts talking to me as she is walking away... :roflol:

Luckily, I haven't noticed a reduction in my hearing. I either wear muffs or plugs, or both. Two things I don't skimp on are eye and ear protection...

My right ear rings so much it has woke

me up at night- plus I have lost 50% of

my hearing in that ear.

My left is some what better,very little

ringing,loss of hearing 35%.

Hearing aides-the best-$4k each! :sick:

I can buy a new open and limited gun for

that amount of cash. :goof:

Years of riding in fixed and rotary wing aircraft, shooting tons of Sam's bullets, now shooting my own bullets....my hearing is still very very good except in one small frequency range. I do have a slight bit of Tinitis, but when I was active duty there was a huge deal made about using hearing protection. My ears are sensitive so I double plug when shooting rifles and when shooting indoors.

Work requires yearly testing and my tests are identical over the past 4 years.

I use custom molded plugs with filter and double up with -32db muffs when needed.

DON'T use electronic muffs indoors!! Unless you are using them secondary to plugs, or you turn them off. There is a second pressure wave that will hit you right after the muffs cycle back on.