Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help me pick up some speed.

Mat Price

Limited u just started shooting like 6 months ago. I shot production when I first started I am shooting an Sti apeiro now.video was taken with my iphone so the quality is kinda crappy

Edited by Mat Price

Sub-2 is good enough if you can do it on demand....right now, dead cold.

Draw times don't really mean much in the big picture. When you look at big matches, there often are very few static draws where you're just standing there, draw, and shoot a target. They almost always have some sort of action or movement. So, most people spend a large percentage of their practice time (both dry fire and live fire) on something that won't help them all that much....and they don't even bother practicing stuff like turning draws, which are used, at the very least, for a lot of classifiers. R,

Sub-2 is good enough if you can do it on demand....right now, dead cold.

Draw times don't really mean much in the big picture. When you look at big matches, there often are very few static draws where you're just standing there, draw, and shoot a target. They almost always have some sort of action or movement. So, most people spend a large percentage of their practice time (both dry fire and live fire) on something that won't help them all that much....and they don't even bother practicing stuff like turning draws, which are used, at the very least, for a lot of classifiers. R,

that was my first run cold. my third run was .82 1.88 I always use my cold numbers.

this exercise does help me A TON though. I shoot steel also. friday night falling plates and SSC. but i guess you guys are right as far as uspsa I guess i am good enough on this drill.

Just to recap a bit:

I have never seen six shots on one target from 5 yards in any major match. The Bill drill is a nice baseline but don't read to much into it. GMs do the drill in under 2 because of their skills set that was acquired doing other types of training and practices.

I have been to matches where you are standing and the first target is 20 yards away and your next shots are either on a target that requires a big transition or movement.

G-Man is most correct, rarely have I seen a National Match where you did not have movement at the buzzer or shortly there after.

If you want to practice one worthwhile drill-try Brian's Transition Drill. Search the threads for it. That one drill will improve your match shooting three-fold.

In a ten stage match, you have only 10 draws and the majority of them are not at five yards or without some kind of limiting factor i.e., turning, picking it up, dropping something. So your .85 draw in your total time may give you a 1.8 second advantage over someone with your same skill level.

A ten stage match may have three hundred splits and transitions. Check my math here: but a .1 advantage per split or transition would give you a 30 second advantage.

Your competitors may encourage you to practice your draws more, but a real coach would say, work on your splits and transitions at 20 yards.

Hi Mat. Well shot. My comments do not assume you do not know this, but since in in Tips for Improvement...smile.gif

The game, this forum are filled with many fine "stand there and shoot" guys. Smooth, quick, efficient movement and accurate shooting is what separates the good and the great. A simple drill that has really helped me define a base to work from is my favorite USPSA classifier. "Times Two" http://www.uspsa.org...fiers/99-10.pdf A very basic drill that reveals a mountain of information. Practice starting in both boxes. You'll need a timer so get you one. wink.gif

Jim

A very basic drill that reveals a mountain of information. Practice starting in both boxes.

Yep, and how many times have most of us tanked that one! I have a handful of drills like this that I've shown newer shooters and said "this is simple, but it's not easy" :devil:

Yeah I'd say that if you're pulling a sub-second draw to the upper A zone then you're doing pretty well. That being said, if I were RO'ing you I would not consider that a "hands relaxed at sides" start.

I agree with the above statement... I have seen worse though... good shootin'. :cheers:

I would suggest you focus on a better grip, arm position, and stance so you can manage the recoil effectively while shooting. Look at your excessive arm movement and muzzle flip while you are shooting. It looks like you are wrestling against a rototiller through rough patch of soil. Any one can fling a gun out in front of them and "hope" hits onto the target in a speedy time. What really matters is being able to shoot quickly while maintaining consistency and accuracy. Below is an example of what I am talking about. Look at his hits on the target after shooting three bill drills in a row. Also take note that he is probably 10 - 12 yards back instead of just 7 due to shooting steel.

I'd stay on the drill. You are likely in a good place to to learn from minor differences...see what they do and mean.

How is your shot calling during the drill?

Watch the front sight. See how the gun tracks. Use that information. Experiment with grip and stance...pressure, elbow position, etc.

Shoot it some more...see what you notice (make awareness the goal).

Flex my calls are ok I know if I broke one out of the alpha. I use this static drill to push my steel game where I am standing in one shot firing 6 rounds at falling plates.

Ps chala

I am not just spraying I do follow and track my site but thanks for your observations.

If you have been shooting only 6mos and you are shooting that drill, in less than 2 seconds, you are way ahead of probably 95% of the people on this forum..

yeah I have shot Fclass/NRA long range since I was a kid. I bought my first pistol back in june last year... tons and tons and tons of live and dry fire practice

• 3 weeks later...

Mat, if you're getting a .9 first shot, which is very good BTW, then the obvious answer to you're question (help me pick up speed=how can I be faster) is in your splits. For me, my Bill Drill time comes down to my first shot. I can pull a .8 first shot on command (Glock out of a BT DOH) but with the Bill Drill I want to be sure the sights settle where I want them (center of the A zone) before I start breaking the shots. My splits are around .15 with this gun (G34) but when I was shooting the G22 They were consistently at .12...

As Flex said though, there are more important things to be gained besides a faster time. It comes down to what you can get out of it, what you can feel and see...

Keep on seeking and you'll keep finding...success. "Perfect Practice"

PS, The sound and video weren't linked up on the vid when I watched it but your splits looked faster than .2 (doing the math... a .9 draw and 5 splits at .2 give you a 1.9)

Edited by Turtle

• 2 weeks later...