Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI or SVI?

G34 CORDY

I think an ignore feature on the open forum would be sweet.

How would anybody find it? roflol.gif

There is an ignore feature of the forums. It's been here for quite a while actually. Go to the top corner of the page where you see your name and avatar pic, click the little down arrow like you are going to your messenger. At the bottom of the list is a link that says "Manage ignored users". Click on this, add the user you would like to ignore, whether you want to ignore their post or personal messages or both, and click save changes.....

I don't think the search function would find it though.....

I have sti and Svi guns and shoot all about the same.

SVI guns are sweet, but the new grips have new mag setup and would limit you to new SVI mags or mods on older mags. If thats not a bother, then i buy an SVI for the outstanding lifetime service.

Then best thing about used svi guns is that you can send them in for a tune-up, low cost and super fast turnaround time.

hope this helps

There is an ignore feature of the forums. It's been here for quite a while actually. ...

I hope my post was seen with a bit of levity.

Before anybody uses the ignore feature, please realize that most everyone here is good people.

We all can get a little frustrated, specially on the internet. No need to let it get to us too much.

There is an ignore feature of the forums. It's been here for quite a while actually. ...

I hope my post was seen with a bit of levity.

Before anybody uses the ignore feature, please realize that most everyone here is good people.

We all can get a little frustrated, specially on the internet. No need to let it get to us too much.

Amen Flex, I don't know any perfect people :P

There is an ignore feature of the forums. It's been here for quite a while actually. Go to the top corner of the page where you see your name and avatar pic, click the little down arrow like you are going to your messenger. At the bottom of the list is a link that says "Manage ignored users". Click on this, add the user you would like to ignore, whether you want to ignore their post or personal messages or both, and click save changes.....

I don't think the search function would find it though.....

Thanks Grumpy! It's AWESOME!! I can only see them if somebody quotes them.

I would say the SVI is more online with the other custom builders. STI is a factory gun. SVI like the other custom builders you can have it built how you like it. STI you buy the gun and have it modified how you want it. As it shows on most of the threads, it is all personal oppinion and what works best for one isnt the best for all. Some like a very heavy full dustcover gun, others like a gun as light as possible. You can get all the opinons out there but have to just see what feels best for you. Some like blonde, others brunette

Hello: I think all the guys here do a great job :cheers: No I am not running for president :roflol: Another thing to remember is that STI has a custom shop as well. I like 6" limited pistols for USPSA and 5" ones for IDPA. I like then light and quick reacting. You must try all you can before you can decide. A good place to start would be a STI Edge. You can try that then start chopping on it to see what you like. Also since you are shooting a CZ right now you may look at there limited pistols. Just a thought. Thanks, Eric

Cordy, first, I'm a newb as well. I have to tell you, though, it's so much easier to think before you push send. What I mean is this…when I think of a question, I automatically go to the search and I consider it a challenge to see how long it takes me to find the answer. Honestly? There is NOTHING that hasn't been covered in this forum. I have never failed to find what I was looking for, whether a reloading question, or just to soak-up other's vastly enhanced experiences that are so far beyond mine. Of course, I still make comments, but I would bet you just about anything that "comparison" questions have been covered 1,000% over any other question.

I realize for someone new it's tough to receive such a direct reply, but that's just what G-Man gave you. He tried to be helpful by posting the links (he minded his own business to the extent of providing you the answers YOU asked for). Next time, try to be a little more humble and realize that we all come here to learn, but the first step in learning is to learn to help ourselves.

There endeth the lesson. Good luck to you in your search. I'm battling between the STI and Glock platform, myself, which means I'll probably buy the Wilson. This is a disease.

Gordy,

Let me see if I can help. I forgot for a moment that the search function isn't always the most user-friendly feature on the site. It's not very intuitive and maybe instead of giving you fish, we can "teach how to fish" more effectively.

There's a small Search panel I'm sure you've already seen at the top right corner of every page. To the right of the field you type in is a gold-colored magnifying glass that you can click to begin the search. Problem is, that function is very limited and will only search the forum you are currently viewing.

To the right of that gold magnifying glass is a symbol that resembles a small, white gear. Right-click on that and select, "Open In A New Window" (or Tab, if you prefer). That's the Advanced Search feature. Despite it's name, it's much easier to use.

There are many options for searching provided by the drop-down menus.

Additionally, BE wrote a very informative 'sticky' thread on searching that is available here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13517

It provides many "tricks and tips" on how to construct your search to achieve the best possible results (relevant, useful information).

I hope that helps...

Gordy, frame for frame the STI and SV are the same.

I have seen an STI frame hardness tested along side a SVI frame. There is definitely a difference. Also, on the handful of STI frames I have seen compared to each other, the STI frame tolerances varied more compared to the SVI frames I have seen.

I went ahead and removed about a half dozen posts that were (recent) drifts off the topic.

Please...if you have a personal opinion on somebody posting here on the forum...keep it that way...personal. Don't air it on this forum.

If you think somebody is posting outside of the forum rules, contact a Moderator.

If this message isn't clear, send me a PM and I will explain it further. ;)

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator

I have seen an STI frame hardness tested along side a SVI frame. There is definitely a difference. Also, on the handful of STI frames I have seen compared to each other, the STI frame tolerances varied more compared to the SVI frames I have seen.

Any chance you have some good numbers on the hardness?

Hello: Like I stated above you may want to look at the CZ pistols as well. If you go to River City Shooters match there you will see a couple of those. They put on a great match as well :cheers: When I lived in Corpus I used to go to them. There are some very good shooters there as well. Just a thought for you. Thanks, Eric

Any chance you have some good numbers on the hardness?

I don't have the exact numbers, but the STI frames were in the mid to low 20's on the rockwell C scale and the SVI frames were in the high 30's to low 40's

SVI has several different frame materials, from aluminum, stainless, or carbon steel. all or which are forged. My edge took 20k to loosen up. My SV has over 60k and it feels like the day I got it. If I ever have SV build me a gun again, I'm sending them a schuemann barrel as I heard SV's new barrels don't last.

I'm building my next gun, and it does have a new/unused stainless SV frame w old polymer grip, and I just bought an infinity slide used. I have a feeling the fit will be pretty good. (though I will fit the slide TIGHT to the frame if SV is not "pre-fit" Might send it to cheely to island cut for a ribbed barrel, creatively lose some weight, and cut the frame to match the xcelerator slide cuts.

Hello: I know the SVI slides are harder than the STI ones. Not sure on the Rockwell of either though. Once you have them hard chromed it doesn't really matter. Thanks, Eric

This is what I got out of SV:

"

The carbon steel and stainless steel components are all heat treated to a rockwell C 40-42. This is the optimal hardness for tensile strength and wear resistance. Our competition only offers dead soft frames and components at rockwell C 17-22."

Hope it helps Flex, Eric, and anyone else questioning the differences of hardness and quality betwween the 2 and the price jusification.

There's some good techie-info in this thread, but as a friend of mine pointed out, it really runs afoul of the Forum Guidelines:

Restricted Content

Politics

Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

• USPSA vs IPSC

• IPSC vs IDPA

STI vs SVI

• Limited 10 vs Limited Division

• This Division vs That Division

• This Government vs That Government

• Gun Control Issues

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

Closed.