Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga Killer?

DocMedic

It'll be interesting if the much rumored BATF letter due out next week has a material impact on current or new Saigas. If it does, even though I don't own one, I'll be ticked. It's pretty unfortunate that BATF gets to arbitrarily define what shotty has a sporting purpose and which one doesn't, particularly since they seem to have no guidance as to what sporting purpose means. 3-gun is probably not on their radar as a sport.

The rumors:

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2011/01/impending-atf-letter-on-shotguns.html

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2011/01/20/ban-on-saiga-shotguns-in-the-works

-Steve

CMMG dropped the project; too much time and money, and the ATF was bitchy about it. There are several other companies working on this sort of thing; I messed with one other prototype at SHOT that looked interesting. DI/LLC has been tinkering with some ideas but they are some slow rollers, to be sure. Probably ride the short bus to work.

On this one: The BATFE has approved importation (according to my source, who seemed to know what he was talking about) as of last week after two years of paperwork. There should be a hundred of them on their way into the country now. Larger mags (and folding stocks, free float rail tubes, and that sort of thing) are being developed in the US. I passed along my concerns...reliability, 10 round (or better) mags, spare parts...and it seemed that he was already on top of it. Having lived in the country that makes these, I've messed with their other versions (just not the 12) "in house" (as it were) but not enough to have a solid opinion one way or another.

Alex

I am in Illinois where it is strictly a shotgun slug for deer state.

I am not all that versed on slug guns, either the bolt action variety or the H and R break open style.

what I have seen guys show up with as far as pumps and semi-autos to the pre-season sight in days seem less than ideal as far as mounting a scope to. they look kinda cobbed together.

whereas, a flat top AR with all that picatinny rail to attach a scope to looks ideal.

yeah...I know...I am grasping at straws as far as the "sporting purposes" clause goes.

I guess in the ATF's eyes "sporting" = hunting .

that would be hilarious to see the expression on Krieghoff and Perazzi owners faces to show up with one of those pictured above at the trap/skeet/sporting clays field.

:roflol:

4 of us went to shoot "sporting clays" last summer. Two guys had 10 shot mags, I had a 13 shot mag, and one guy had an X-Rail :surprise:

Nope not a Saiga Killer. Feels like an 11-87 with a mag in a cheap plastic outer shell. They showed that last year and still haven't done anything with it.

Chuck I thought the same thing when I picked one up. If felt more like a nerf gun than a real weapon.

Their ATF approval pending is now at 18 months and I can not see an importation license happening. CCMG produced a prototype of about the same weapon to be produced domestically and they failed to move forward.

At SHOT we were told ATF would release something today (Monday) on Saiga. But my web search found nothing. Given that Oprah stole the news today, maybe we will hear it on Tuesday.

This particular gun has that "airsoft" feel to it. Kind of like the .22 rifles.

But what an excellent idea, having a shotgun with the same ergonomics and controls

as an AR. Somebody needs to make a more robust version here in the USA.