Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Optics at SHOT

bigbrowndog

Since I started this in the Meopta topic, i'll carry over my thoughts,......Trijicon and Meopta are still the longest running, most moderately priced, daylight illuminated, usable 3 gun optics out there. They are the benchmark, I was told at SHOT that a very high end optic maker was banging a very expensive scope on the table in frustration to "our" demand for daylight illumination, SMKSHWN can elaborate on this when he returns from SHOT, that said...........You optics guys are going to be overwhelmed with the amount of good usable, moderately priced optics that are going to be out there NOW!!!! I've seen them and held them in my hands, and was even asked to sit in on a few meetings about them with company reps!!!!! moderately priced 1FP and 2FP scopes, save your pennies. the best 3 gun reticle that I saw was from Trijicon in an ACOG but it was very very nice, simple and very user friendly, i'll be getting one soon.

Bushnell had a new optic with Mil holdover and Circle dot reticle,

March has a 1x10 that shows promise,

Trijicon I've already spoken about,

Meopta, I liked the original better, but some may not which means you could find the original for sale cheaper,

Leupold, I'll let Kelly describe it when he returns,

Vortex, had all their scopes out of course, I was most interested in the "new" MOA reticle in the spotting scope, and the big LR scope line.

Lots more, i'm sure will get posted once everyone returns from SHOT.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

It's sure nice to hear that 3-gunners are taken seriously by some of the manufacturers. I believe that competition raises the bar for everyone in the industry. Some like it, some don't.

We're sort of like NASCAR in the early days. Just a bunch of good 'ol boys a racin'. :blush:

It's sure nice to hear that 3-gunners are taken seriously by some of the manufacturers. I believe that competition raises the bar for everyone in the industry. Some like it, some don't.

We're sort of like NASCAR in the early days. Just a bunch of good 'ol boys a racin'. :blush:

If that is true Ware are all the girls in Bikinis? :goof:

Any new iron sights coming out?

That don't flip or fold, of course?

(yeah, I know- wishful thinking)

The sights on your M1A fold? I'm glad mine is the old fashioned kind. Honestly, Bryan, if you want to shoot an AR with Irons, why not use an A2 upper reciever?

Do you know Trijicon has any new reticle options for the accupoint? Specifically the TR24?

Thanks for the news!

I asked the Trijicon rep. No new reticle. The RMS dot got a few upgrades but not the

scopes 3 gunners use.

Craig

Dan, my M1A sights don't fold. I don't think I've ever seen any for that rifle that do....?

I've got a couple AR iron rifles, just seeing if there was anything "revolutionary" coming out. We've had the best iron sights available since 1935 (M1 Rifle), I guess gun manufacturers have run out of ideas. :)

Several things on the Leupold front:

1) The red dot in the CQBSS is dramatically improved. It is now a donut which looks like a donut at 1.1X but opens up at higher magnifications so the H27 reticle is more usable.

2) The new VX R line was introduced. They are variables with a daylight visible "firedot" in the reticle. The 1.25-4X would make an excellent starter scope for 3 gun. I think they will be in the $500 range.

3) The brightness of the CMR2 reticle is also improved over past models.

4) The CMR2 is going to available in the CQ/T which will make it a substantially more competitive 3 gun scope than the CQ/T with the cirlce dot reticle.

5) The HAMR was introduced. It is a fixed 4X with CMR2 reticle with a Deltapoint on top. I don't see as much of a 3 gun application for the HAMR although I am sure they will be used.

6) The 3.5-25X made its debut but don't expect any out for retail anytime soon.

Several things on the Leupold front:

1) The red dot in the CQBSS is dramatically improved. It is now a donut which looks like a donut at 1.1X but opens up at higher magnifications so the H27 reticle is more usable.

2) The new VX R line was introduced. They are variables with a daylight visible "firedot" in the reticle. The 1.25-4X would make an excellent starter scope for 3 gun. I think they will be in the $500 range.

3) The brightness of the CMR2 reticle is also improved over past models.

4) The CMR2 is going to available in the CQ/T which will make it a substantially more competitive 3 gun scope than the CQ/T with the cirlce dot reticle.

5) The HAMR was introduced. It is a fixed 4X with CMR2 reticle with a Deltapoint on top. I don't see as much of a 3 gun application for the HAMR although I am sure they will be used.

I was reading on the internet about a VX6 scope that is a 1-6 magnification? Is their such an animal and what kind of reticle options will it have?

That 3.5-25x looked like it should be mounted under an M-4 launching 40mm grenades. The tube diameter is huge. Scope seemed awesome for long range shooting though. 3.5 on the low end for scanning and more than enough power to hit past 1800 yards. Optics looked great as well.

• 2 months later...

Never saw it as I was over at Leupold Tactical. That scope must have been over a Leupold Central Command. It will be available with either a duplex or German #4.

It will also be illuminated with either a dot or cross.

T

Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 seemed to have nice optics, pretty decent FOV at low setting. But, Leupold guys told me no illuminated reticles... I gave them feedback, but they looked like I was an alien from space talking something "what the f**k you are talking about, we already have illuminated VX-R!" Yeah, right... :(

March 1-10x has "illumination", they told me it was "redesigned to work in daylight" but it was not clearly visible even in pretty dark downstairs hall of Shot Show.

I did not see anything that would beat Z6i, not even close.

Edit: VX-6 1-6x seems to be available with illumination :cheers:

Edited by Hannu

@Hannu

I still think the Zeiss varipoint is better quality glass and much more forgiving in head position compared to the Swarovski.

I also think the dot is better then the more ''orange'' from the Swarovski.

but the LD1 reticle should have been in the Zeiss :blush:

Edited by patrickbeijer

@Hannu

I still think the Zeiss varipoint is better quality glass and much more forgiving in head position compared to the Swarovski.

I also think the dot is better then the more ''orange'' from the Swarovski.

but the LD1 reticle should have been in the Zeiss :blush:

Patrick, unfortunately I can not agree while having both Varipoint and Z6i... I would have sold Zeiss when I bought Z6i 2006, but nobody wanted to pay anything for it after Z6i came to the market :( So I still have both :)

Difference in low magnification FOV size and shape is just huge + Swaro has little more magnification, at least I like very much to use 6x instead of 4x for long ranges (100+ meters for me).

I like Z6i dot more, I just seem to find "bright orange" faster than "dark red" and Z6i dot is transparent when not turned on - makes it easy to shoot small targets/groups if needed.

We measured optical quality few years ago (bunch of 1-4x and 1-6x scopes) and found very little differences between Z6i and Varipoint - both got the same points about optical quality.

Of course, things change and scopes can change over years.

However I do not know about head position thing, I have never had issues and/or understood that. Of course, unless mount height is way too tall or something else strange.

Zeiss should definitely develop Z6i killer... I can not understand, why they have not done it yet, or at least tried like S&B :(