Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yea, I took a Dremel to my new Salient Benelli

Kyle O

You guys thought it was a joke right?

Well, I could load it at least as fast as my SLP, but was having way too many fumbles. I figured it's just new, I need to get used to it, so tonight I tried again, but kept on.

Two kinds of fumbles:

1. Not getting the shells far enough in to engage the catch, and having the shell follow my thumb back (or pop out on the floor).

2. If I pushed the shell in at greater than a 45 degree angle to the mag tube, the lip of the shell would catch at the top of the magazine, and stick until I shallowed the angle of the shell. (imagine thinking, "why. won't. you. go. in?"

I just touched the top of the mag tube (enough to remove the speed bump), but did far more aggressive removal at the bottom to extend the port forward. It loads sooo much smoother now!

Gonna do patterns tomorrow, and check slug hits out, should be a fun day of shotgunning.

Here some pics of what I did. Aside from that, this thing is great!

post-11183-063696600 1295416935_thumb.jp

post-11183-078544400 1295416965_thumb.jp

Always messin with stuff. Did you forget what happened to your FN when you got Dremel happy?

Yes, but the FN kept biting me, it was more like punishment for it.

For this beautiful Salient though, well, think of it as a beautiful Italian supermodel, who now wears the right kinda make-up. :roflol:

You guys thought it was a joke right?

Well, I could load it at least as fast as my SLP, but was having way too many fumbles. I figured it's just new, I need to get used to it, so tonight I tried again, but kept on.

Two kinds of fumbles:

1. Not getting the shells far enough in to engage the catch, and having the shell follow my thumb back (or pop out on the floor).

2. If I pushed the shell in at greater than a 45 degree angle to the mag tube, the lip of the shell would catch at the top of the magazine, and stick until I shallowed the angle of the shell. (imagine thinking, "why. won't. you. go. in?"

I just touched the top of the mag tube (enough to remove the speed bump), but did far more aggressive removal at the bottom to extend the port forward. It loads sooo much smoother now!

Gonna do patterns tomorrow, and check slug hits out, should be a fun day of shotgunning.

Here some pics of what I did. Aside from that, this thing is great!

post-11183-063696600 1295416935_thumb.jp

post-11183-078544400 1295416965_thumb.jp

Knowing that this gun was bought for competition,I would have expected that to be already done.

It is a standard modification done to almost every shotgun used in 3gun by the owners.

I heard this very expensive gun was ready to go but I guess not.

Knowing that this gun was bought for competition,I would have expected that to be already done.

It is a standard modification done to almost every shotgun used in 3gun by the owners.

Well, don't misunderstand completely, it is good to go out of the box, but I had done extreme mods to my FN, and have learned to load with it that way, so it was more "me rather than the gun".

The "speed bump" on the top of the mag tube is actually the follower stop, and I only removed about 3/8" of the circumference, just so a shell would grease past it (seems you have a point on this part though).

Now, my burned in habits don't have to change. If you get this gun, and learn to load with it, then you'll never notice. Or, if you switched from a bone stock FN, then you'll be like :surprise: it really is that much better.

You and West have got me looking at Benellis now. I just can't seem to load my 1187 fast. Better have a talk with your Italian Supermodel and prepare her because she's getting fondled next weekend...

We know that I'm a drug dealer, but Pimp? Sure, why not.

Well, don't misunderstand completely, it is good to go out of the box, but I had done extreme mods to my FN, and have learned to load with it that way, so it was more "me rather than the gun".

The "speed bump" on the top of the mag tube is actually the follower stop, and I only removed about 3/8" of the circumference, just so a shell would grease past it (seems you have a point on this part though).

Now, my burned in habits don't have to change. If you get this gun, and learn to load with it, then you'll never notice. Or, if you switched from a bone stock FN, then you'll be like :surprise: it really is that much better.

Enjoy Kyle,

Just busting ya.

I really was going for the "shock and awe" with the title :devil:

These weren't heavy duty mods, just some "personal touches".

As far as the 45 degree shell angle thing, thats when I do it wrong, but I still want them to go in easy when I fk it up.

Just patterned it, and I like the modified choke for just an "all around", slugs don't group very well with it, but still gonna try some different slugs/choke combos before I pull the dremel out again :roflol: just kidding, just kidding, no more dremel necessary, sorry if I scared you guys.

I really was going for the "shock and awe" with the title :devil:

These weren't heavy duty mods, just some "personal touches".

As far as the 45 degree shell angle thing, thats when I do it wrong, but I still want them to go in easy when I fk it up.

Just patterned it, and I like the modified choke for just an "all around", slugs don't group very well with it, but still gonna try some different slugs/choke combos before I pull the dremel out again :roflol: just kidding, just kidding, no more dremel necessary, sorry if I scared you guys.

The first step in dealing with Dremel addiction is admitting that you have a problem. It seems as though you've done that. I don't know what step 2 is.

Always messin with stuff. Did you forget what happened to your FN when you got Dremel happy?

Yes, but the FN kept biting me, it was more like punishment for it.

For this beautiful Salient though, well, think of it as a beautiful Italian supermodel, who now wears the right kinda make-up. :roflol:

So now you need to sell my that chopped up mess of an FN so I can have a spare.

• 2 weeks later...

so an $1,100 gun gets another $900 in work from rob, then requires additional dremel work to get it right? what was the $900 for?

looks like the price on the website has shot up to $2299, how much is too much, and are they doing anything other than the original models of past?

So where is the new range report?

Very nice. I also have a problem with not getting the shells far enough into the tube to engage the catch on my 870 & have been thinking about doing the exact same thing, but haven't been brave enough. How did it all work out? Did it cause any feed problems? Anything you would suggest to me should I decide to take the plunge?

Very nice. I also have a problem with not getting the shells far enough into the tube to engage the catch on my 870 & have been thinking about doing the exact same thing, but haven't been brave enough. How did it all work out? Did it cause any feed problems? Anything you would suggest to me should I decide to take the plunge?

I think i'm gonna get sick...