Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which powder is the cleanest with least amount of smoke.

Blackfin2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solo 1000 seems to have a good reputation for use with lead and moly. Just buy it in larger batches since it does have a bit of lot to lot variation. I get 8 lbs at a time.

Which powder creates the least amount of smoke and the cleanest in terms of residual. I plan on loading hard casts, and I know there is a certain amount of smake that is going to be generated form the lead and lube. Thanks, Wayne

WSF, WST, Clays. So you have a slow, med and fast powder for all occasions.

Which powder creates the least amount of smoke and the cleanest in terms of residual. I plan on loading hard casts, and I know there is a certain amount of smake that is going to be generated form the lead and lube. Thanks, Wayne

I think that a wax emulsion over a very light LLA coating works great. I have not noticed any difference between AA2, 231, N310, Clays, WST, or TiteGroup.

Haven't tried Solo 1000. Has anyone tried AA Nitro100?

Clays and N310, in my guns, are just freakishly sensitive to pressure spikes by an increase of only 0.2gn of powder. They are OK if I stay very much in the target/mid-range load region, but other powders are just as good and are not pressure spikey.

One thing I have noticed with all my guns is that my .45s are not that sensitive to different bullets of the same weight such that a powder charge that works well with one 200gn SWC also works well with different profile 200gn L-SWCs or even L-TC bullets.

However, 9mm and, particularly .40S&W, will not shoot the same groups from lead bullets of a given weight as the styles change even slightly. There is just no way that I can say that a given charge is accurate without reference to gun and bullet, whereas 3.6-4.0gn Bullseye (or AA2) is quite accurate with any 185 or 200gn .45ACP bullet.

WST and VV310 are wonderful, but have limits on how fast they should go.

VV320, then SOLO 1000 for Minor is what I have found best for light to no smoke with lead bullets.

One powder that I love/hate is Titegroup. I use it for Bianchi practice ammo with lead 122LFP, but it smokes like a freighttrain! TG not recommended for lead bullets.

Hope this is helpful,

DougC

Can't beat Solo for price and the low smoke, soft shooting and price. Work it up on a chrono because the lots do vary. As far as considering "clean" in a lead bullet combo, well that kinda pointless. The lube will make a mess no matter what powder you use. Hard cast are not always the best answer either. It depends on the pressure created by you load.

• 3 weeks later...

WSF, WST, Clays. So you have a slow, med and fast powder for all occasions.

i use wsf in my 9mm with ww cast bullets and blue angel lube and omfg does it smoke and gag me out i try not to shoot them unless i run out of my extreme plated bullets

For what it is worth......My FIL ran a commercial reloading operation for a while. His major account was an indoor range. The owner of the range insisted all his loads to be with Winchester 231 to cut down on smoke.

Edited due to poor spelling.

Edited by Kyreb

N-320 is the cleanest

Solo 1000 not far behind

WST can be clean but there is no published data for it with 9mm jacketed or cast that I could find.

IMO, you don't need to use really fast powders like N-310 or Clays in 9mm. Lead bullets already shoot very softly with N-320 or Solo 1000.