Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BBI are these good for reloading

Blackfin2

Per the web site it appears that Black Bullets are moly coated lead projectiles. Many of the posts describe "tearing of plating" on some bullets, specifically Berrys. How many shooters use the BBI bullets and do you have tearing or moly coating damage issues?

Wayne

I have been using BBI bullets and I was using them when they were masterblasters for 5 years now, the only time I tear past the moly coating is when i put a bullet on the case, while reloading, and when the ram goes up, the bullet lays down on me right before it goes into the seating die and the coating shears off, but that is my fault for reloading so fast. Other than that they are awesome bullets. I don't know how many tens of thousands of rounds are in the berm here in houston because of me. lol

I've loaded a few of them. I find them a little harder/slower to load than jacketed and the coating will come off on your fingers (or gloves) while loading them. I won't be switching to them...but will only use them for instances where I can't shoot jacketed.

I have no experiences with them in semi-auto's but had used them in my wheelgun. There was a considerable buildup of the moly coating in the cylinder throats and forcing cone. It was the most difficult stuff to remove, required soaking and scrubbing for a couple days. The unfortunate thing is that they shot very well, I just cant see having to dedicate so much time and effort cleaning my gun.

It sounds like there must be inconsistencies from batch to batch in the adhesion or cohesion of the coating. I've also had some that weren't quite round or had sides with flat spots. Maybe they have more demand than they can supply with adequate quality control?

I use their 130 gr 9mm bullets and love them. I shoot them in my shadow and have no buildup at all. A quick wipe with a hoppes soaked patch and my barrel looks as good as new.

I have hardly any crimp on my cases to avoind cutting the coating. I just kept backing it off until I didn't see an indention when I pulled a bullet.

BBI's are using older style molds meant for cast bullets and lube, The grove makes em less smooth to load, I prefer the updated design of Precision, However, I wouldnt have any qualms about using them and loaded a bunch of Master Blasters

BBI's are using older style molds meant for cast bullets and lube, The grove makes em less smooth to load, I prefer the updated design of Precision, However, I wouldnt have any qualms about using them and loaded a bunch of Master Blasters

The 130gr 9mm I bought don't have a lube groove. They just seem a little oversized and non-uniform and just don't like to seat easily. Before anyone suggests it, I did already increase my flare in station two.

I've used 7500 of them so far. I just ordered another 10k.

I haven't had any issues with loading them, save the few times I cranked the handle a little too fast and the bullet tipped sideways before it entered the seating die.

Order a thousand and try them out. If you don't have a problem shooting lead, then you'll like these. Less smoke than cast bullets, but about half the cost of jacketed bullets.

-Will

The jerkyness in the press is something I have never experienced, the fouling is another thing I have not experience with them either. Maybe take a look at your reloading practices. If you hare over crimping I could see some of those things happening. but from what I am reading the consensus here has had no problems with the bullets

Edited by Sean Gaines

I have been using Precision, Bear Creek, and just started using some BBI in addition to jacketed bullets. I use the molly coated for practice and local matches. The black bullets have not caused me any problems in revolvers. In semi autos they are fine except when they are fitted with a comp.

I have had no problems with residue in either and cleaning is no more a problem than jacketed. Smoke has been an issue somewhat with Bear Creek and and is less of a problem with Precision. The BBI does not seem to put out much smoke but I have not been using them for very long.

The leading problems may be due to excessive crimp when it cuts through the molly coating, which would allow the lead to make contact with the barrel.

I use enough flare to make certain the bullet can't catch on the rim and the crimp just flattens out against the outside of the bullet not pressing into same. I like the black bullets and have found them to be as accurate as jacketed as long as you experiment enough to find what works best with them.

I've been through several thousand BBI 147's and they're great. Make sure you're using separate dies to seat and crimp like their website says and you shouldn't run into any problems. I tried to seat/crimp on the same die at first and cut the crap out of the coating.