Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which push-through case sizing tool do you prefer?

Warhammer4k

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have been reloading 40S&W for nearily 10yrs

it wasn't until I started reading the board here that i had even heard of one

I still to this day don't use one glocked brass or not I use Lee Dies and have no problems reloading any brass and most of mine has been scrounged from the indoor range.

It brings piece of mind to those that do and that is all that matters

just mu .02

• 3 weeks later...

I have the steel GRx, and a hacked up lee carbinde sizer die setup.

I'd go lee personally and save some money. I'd also consider setting up a small arbor press. I have a pretty trick setup with one and a lee case feeder that's easy on the arms.

• 2 weeks later...

Bulged Brass ????

Where are you guys gettin all that bad/bulged brass ????

Is this a "SHOOTING TEA PARTY" campaign with a social goal to give Glock Black Eyes???? LMAO

Sponsored & Financed by way of the ("ELITE 1911 SNOB CLUB").

Myself and 2 Grandsons own 8 Glocks and have NEVER had the problems you folks allude too.

Maybe you should buy some BIG BLUE presses and dies.

Perry

I use a Lee FCD with the top removed and a bullet pusher from a Lee bullet sizer. I use it on my Rock Chucker and just lift the case out of the top and drop in a bucket. If you don't have a bullet sizer with the pusher, you would need the bulge buster kit. I'm sure it's a little nicer than what I do but my way works.

My hand get sore after several hundred rounds too. You really know it when you get one with a bad bulge.

A friend with more tools than I made me a brass rod with a 10mm case head on one end. I might be able to use it to push my Glock'd 10mm cases through my Lee carbide die. Or shenanigans might ensue.

I believe I'll try it with some lube, despite the carbide.

Those of you who have used arbor presses, how did you fit the die and shell holder to the press? Based on a little online shopping, it looks like most arbor presses aren't set up for reloading.

update:

That didn't work. I lubed a piece of "Glocked" 10mm brass and tried to push it through my Lee FCD with the brass rod. It simply wouldn't budge after the case head was about level with the mouth of the die. I had to tap it back out with a hammer & drift punch.

I tried to force it through, but it felt like I was going to break the handle off my Rockchucker before the case would budge.

Unless the G-Rx has a larger hole in it, I'm not seeing how it would have worked any better.

Edited by Warhammer4k

How long is the brass rod you are using? My push through plunger measures 1.31 inches total length. Adjust the FCD die higher in the press to gain the max leverage possible. Just enough to push the case past the carbide ring. I have not sized any 10mm but have done many K of 40 brass. With the thicker web on the 10mm brass, it may take a little more efort. Lubricate case with One Shot or a rifle case lube and try again.

You have to use lube with the GR-X push thru...or it will get stuck.

I prefer the Gr-X over the Lee U-die. I have both and put the U-die back in the box 2 days after I bought it. The Gr-X works like a champ...and no need to case gauge anymore (though I still do).

I did use lube with my improvised "poor man's" G-Rx, but the case got stuck anyway.

It's possible I just didn't use enough lube. I'm skittish about using too much lube, since usually I only lube rifle brass, which can be deformed by use of too much lube.

Not one to be easily deterred, I'm going to try the push-through-Lee FC thing once again.

This time with an absolutely sloppy amount of lube. It's not like I have to worry about doing anything nasty to the case shoulder, with 10mm.

update:

It was a rousing success!

I got two "Glocked" 10mm cases through with liberal application of RCBS Case Lube 2 and slow, firm pressure. These cases (once wiped down) now drop loosely into my 10mm case gage, so I consider them "cured" of Glock-itis.

The remaining problem: I didn't like the amount of force I had to apply to my Rockchucker. It was way above what is needed for normal case sizing, and I don't think it would be a Good Thing to repeatedly apply such force over the long term.

This is as good an excuse as any to buy an arbor press. The only question is, how to fit the Lee FCD and shell holder to it?

Edited by Warhammer4k

<br />Not one to be easily deterred, I'm going to try the push-through-Lee FC thing once again.<br />

<br />

This time with an absolutely sloppy amount of lube. It's not like I have to worry about doing anything nasty to the case shoulder, with 10mm.<br />

<br />

update:<br />

It was a rousing success!<br />

<br />

I got two "Glocked" 10mm cases through with liberal application of RCBS Case Lube 2 and slow, firm pressure. These cases (once wiped down) now drop loosely into my 10mm case gage, so I consider them "cured" of Glock-itis.<br />

<br />

The remaining problem: I didn't like the amount of force I had to apply to my Rockchucker. It was way above what is needed for normal case sizing, and I don't think it would be a Good Thing to repeatedly apply such force over the long term. <br />

<br />

This is as good an excuse as any to buy an arbor press. The only question is, how to fit the Lee FCD and shell holder to it?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

What I did with my $35 harbor freight special 1/2 ton arbor press was to buy a couple junction box covers with conduit holes in the, secure the die in the hole, and then drill a hole in the covers to secure it to the press. Two of them layered are very rigid, you can drill through one easily, and if you screw up they are cheap.

• 1 year later...

I use a Lee FCD mounted upside down in an arbor press. Fast and cases drop into a bucket.

I do the same with my Lee Bulge Buster ... I have it mounted upside down on my work bench and have a bucket under it to collect, I seem to able to process brass 2 to 3 times faster with it upside down ...

• 2 weeks later...

Would something like the Lee Reloader be sufficient to use for the G-RX?

That's the setup I use for sizing once fired 40 brass. Works great. I have bolts with wing nuts to mount it to my work bench...mounting and removal is easy. I run a bucket of brass through it and then remove it and put it away for a year.

I use an RCBS Rock Chucker II, Dillon .40 & .45 sizing die with the floating decapping assembly removed, lathe turned push through punches. For 9mm push through, a Lee 9mm Makarov FCD die that I had them open up to .391 so it would only size the bottom area of the case & round out the rim. Final sizing is done while loading. My shoot buddy uses the Makarov die once in while to make his .38 Super brass rimless. The only die I bought was the 9mm Makarov, I had the other dies on the bench since they already have carbide inserts.

I use an empty Oberto snack mix container that I made an X cut at the bottom side of it to pop on top of the die & let that catch the sized brass that rolls down in to a plastic container. Case sizing on the cheap.

post-25308-0-15291900-1337940794_thumb.j