Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which push-through case sizing tool do you prefer?

Warhammer4k

I have a bunch of 10mm brass which has been "Glocked" by being fired in the factory Glock barrel. None of the bulges are too bad, but they're enough that reloads made with this brass often will not feed completely in a Lone Wolf replacement barrel for the Glock 20. Likewise, many reloads will not go into a 10mm case gage all the way. They work fine in looser-chambered guns like the S&W 1006, but my focus is getting them to work in the fairly tight-chambered Lone Wolf barrel.

I use an Evolution Gun Works U-die for sizing, but it is powerless to smooth out the lowest 1/8" or so of each case. That is where the hang-ups happen, as you might expect.

Accordingly, I'm considering a push-through case sizing tool to un-"Glock" my 10mm brass. I'm looking at either the Lee "Bulge Buster" kit or the Redding G-Rx carbide push-through die.

The idea is that, once I've un-Glocked my brass, I will thereafter only shoot 10mm reloads in my Lone Wolf barrel. The Lone Wolf barrel has better chamber support & is much kinder to the brass.

Each option has its merits, but which do you prefer and why? Is there a different tool I should consider?

Keep it realistic, please - I can't afford a CasePro 100, as great as it might be.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not personally used either of your choices for buldge brass, but have tried a "home-made version" of the Redding G-Rx push through system. I believe by using either choices, one does apply ALOT of pressure, stress and wear and tear on a single stage press. I now am using a Casemaster Jr. It is a much better system and can fix buldge brass in other various straight wall cases, but it is also much more $$$. I also added a casefeeder and it really makes it easier. My only regret is that it will not do 38 super. Once again this is only my opinion and experiences. Hope this helps.

Edited by Dis-1-Shooter

I use the Lee Bulge Buster kit with the Lee FCD. Works great for .40. I plan to special order a 9mm Makarov FCD so I can "iron out" my 9x19 and 9x21 brass.

I've been wondering about that. Lee endorses use of the Bulge Buster .380, so why not 9mm? Supposedly it's because the 9mm case (9x19 to be specific) has a slight taper from base diameter to in-spec neck diameter. But how does that mean you can't bulge-bust 9mm brass? I would think the neck diameter - and thus the taper - would be established by a taper crimp later on. I don't see what that has to do with smoothing out a Glock bulge near the base. But then, I've never loaded 9mm.

I'm sure you've noticed that the Lee instructions specifically rule out use of the Bulge Buster on brass shot in a Glock. The feeling elsewhere is that this is merely a CYA move on Lee's part. That seems the most credible explanation so far.

I have not personally used either of your choices for buldge brass, but have tried a "home-made version" of the Redding G-Rx push through system. I believe by using either choices, one does apply ALOT of pressure, stress and wear and tear on a single stage press. I now am using a Casemaster Jr. It is a much better system and can fix buldge brass in other various straight wall cases, but it is also much more $$$. I also added a casefeeder and it really makes it easier. My only regret is that it will not do 38 super. Once again this is only my opinion and experiences. Hope this helps.

I vote Redding GRX (left lower corner) $300 < CaseMaster Jr.

http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=746

For 38 Super CasePro 100 right lower corner. $300 > CaseMaster Jr.

Edited by CocoBolo

Another option is to turn down the shell holder you're using now, so that the U-die can get closer to the extractor groove of the case. I have one like that for .40 and it gets all but a very small bit right above the extractor groove, and they fall right into any case gauge, or tight chamber. R,

I got a 5 gallon bucket of 40 brass from my friend who runs a range, after inspecting and discarding more than half(Wolf and FUBAR) I ran the rest thru a Lee Bulge Buster, it does exactly the samething as the GRX carbide but cost 1/2 as much.

I use the GRX also, and could not be more pleased. ALL my 40sw now case gauge with no problems. A little more work, but is worth it to me. I shoot the EAA Witness, and the grx has solved my magazine/feeding issues.

I'm with GaManBart, I have a Lyman "C" press set up on the end of my bench and I use the modified Lee die to de-glock my brass. It works great and I don't have very much in the set-up. If I felt I needed to push the brass all the way through, I could remove the decapping pin from the die and get a small rod to push the brass all the way through. However, as I said, there is no need to do it any different than I am doing.

I just checked a piece of brass and the area that is not touched by the die is so minute that I really can't measure it.

Buddy

Edited by buddy_fuentes

I may get a G-Rx eventually, but for now I've sidestepped the problem by getting new brass (Xmas gift).

I'll also keep playing with the EGW U-die. I'm pretty sure I already have it adjusted down as far as it can go, but messing about with it on my single-stage press makes me wonder.

I've got the carbide GRX and love it. No more case gauging for me either. The spring loaded push rod really makes it worth the asking price. I have it setup on a Lee Reloader (simple $25 press) but the small diameter wooden ball handle hurts my hand after processing 400 cases or so. I need to modify it somehow.

• 1 month later...

I have the Lee Buldge buster and it works great!!! And pretty cheap if u already have the Lee FCD in 40

Sure is. Even buying a FCD with it, it's still about 1/2 the price of the GRX.