Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Area 8 Championship - Sept. 1-4

The 2011 Area 8 Championship will be held the last weekend of August 25th thru 28th in Fredericksburg, VA. More information to follow. Thank you everyone for your patience and contributions to this event.

I would like to thank Fredericksburg Rod & Gun Club, Lew Walker, Jeff Salzberg, Seth Markowitz, Gene Sullivan and the area members that have contributed to our area once ...again. Our volunteers and members of Area 8 have made me very proud to be apart of this area and our championship match. Thank you Harry.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds good Harry. :)

Here is one vote for shooting the match over two days,,,

Here's another one for. If I can't shoot the match over two days, I doubt I'll shoot it at all.

Too far for me to travel, to be all stressed & tired from driving, and then try to shoot 10 stages too? I'm not saying I can't shoot 10 stages in 1 day (A5 did 15 stages in 1 day a few years back) but it's a lot harder. The shooting isn't the hard part ..... it's reseting the stage for the other shooters, and standing around all day, for just 30 seconds of shooting, that tires you out. Long hot days make for less than stellar match performance.

Even the Nationals only makes us shoot 6 stages in a 4 hour period.

Edited by Chris Keen

Harry,

My vote is most definitely for a one day match. Make it a requirement to shoot Sat/Sun and I predict a lot of shooters will not make it. I can shoot on Saturday, problem, maybe on Friday, but Sat/Sun, No way.

Whatever you do, DON'T try that mixed up two-day, one day debacle. The match can be shot in one day or better in a half day.

Jim

An area match is a big match and although locals will like it to be one day, those who travel by plane or drive 5+ hours to get to the match don't want to do all that travel for just one day of shooting. If I travel a long distance to shoot a match, I want as much shooting as possible, and not all in one day. Two days make it more fun!

If our local match has 5 stages and one day of shooting, and an area match has 8-10 stages and one day of shooting, I think about how much money I am spending to travel and shoot a few more stages. The Florida Open has a choice of one day or two days of shooting with 12 stages. It works out for those who want to pay over $100 to shoot one day or for those who want to make a weekend out of it.

Randy

Edited by redwoods

I am pretty sure last years Area 8 had several options to shoot, the whole match was broke into half match half day formats. You could shoot both your halves on Sat or both your halves on Sunday, or half on friday half on Sat etc etc etc, You get the picture, I thought that was really great, After the Last VA/MD 9 stage straight match I decided I wouldnt be doing that again especially in the August heat. This is supposed to be fun, for me 10 straight stages isnt. I do understand the other side of the coin and I think it was great last year gave shooters the choice, I hope to see the same way next year, Last year I got rolled over on by a horse and busted my right elbow, kinda put a damper on the shooting.

Edited by Joe4d

First let me say thanks to the good folks at Fredericksburg for putting on this match for the third year in a row. I know it is a lot of work since they run 2 majors per year.

Here is my opinion on the format. My ride is 4 hours to the match. I prefer to drive down the night before and shoot a full match in a half day format like Summer Blast or Area 7. Lots of shooting, match moves well and I only have to spend 1 night in a hotel. Second choice is drive down the night before and shoot the entire match in one day. Except for a National or World Shoot, I want no part of shooting over multiple days.

First let me say thanks to the good folks at Fredericksburg for putting on this match for the third year in a row. I know it is a lot of work since they run 2 majors per year.

Here is my opinion on the format. My ride is 4 hours to the match. I prefer to drive down the night before and shoot a full match in a half day format like Summer Blast or Area 7. Lots of shooting, match moves well and I only have to spend 1 night in a hotel. Second choice is drive down the night before and shoot the entire match in one day. Except for a National or World Shoot, I want no part of shooting over multiple days.

Bingo

I'm like 6 hours further north. I can't take off extra time to waste doing nothing at the range.

The 2011 Area 8 Championship will be held the last weekend of August 25th thru 28th in Fredericksburg, VA. More information to follow. Thank you everyone for your patience and contributions to this event.

I would like to thank Fredericksburg Rod & Gun Club, Lew Walker, Jeff Salzberg, Seth Markowitz, Gene Sullivan and the area members that have contributed to our area once ...again. Our volunteers and members of Area 8 have made me very proud to be apart of this area and our championship match. Thank you Harry.

Great news! Its on my schedlue now.

For the record, my preferences are:

1) Shoot the match all in one day. Preferably Half Day like Larry did at Summer Blast

2) Shoot the match all in one day.

3) Did I mention shooting the match all in one day?

4) OK, If there is more shooting than can be achieved in one day, think Nationals, then make it two days. How many stages for a two day match? 15 or more.

We run 7 stages every month, we put 70 or more shooters through. we fire shot one at about 10:30 and last shot about 3. That is 4-1/2 hours, we don't have dedicated ROs and we have 10 plus per squad. If we ran only 7 per squad with dedicated staff we could fit 10 stages in the same time frame.

Guys, shooting 10 stages in an half day is not difficult. I have a 5-6 hour drive each way to Fredericksburg. I do stay over (Harry, reserve a RV Slot for me OK?) but shooting 10 stages in half a day is not all that hard. It does require good staff and it requires the shooters to keep it moving. Shoot your stage, move to the next stage, Shoot, repeat.

Shoot two flights Friday and Saturday and one on Sunday. 6 shooters per squad on Fri & Sat is 240 slots. Make the squads a bit larger on Sunday as there is only one flight, say 8 shooters. that allows for 320 shooters!

Split into a convoluted mix of half day and all day squads and I will admit that it escapes me how to schedule the match, but a two day half day format 5 stages Sat and 5 on Sunday and while you can put the same number through the match you will not finish early on Sunday. That can be problematic if your crew can't stay around to tear down the match. last shot by 2-3 on Sunday and the match can get torn down and put away. Last shot at 6 or later and you need to schedule crew for Monday!

Split into a convoluted mix of half day and all day squads and I will admit that it escapes me how to schedule the match, but a two day half day format 5 stages Sat and 5 on Sunday and while you can put the same number through the match you will not finish early on Sunday. That can be problematic if your crew can't stay around to tear down the match. last shot by 2-3 on Sunday and the match can get torn down and put away. Last shot at 6 or later and you need to schedule crew for Monday!

The math on this isn't that hard. Everybody shoots the match in 2 - half day formats.

Friday is reserved for all day only.

Squad 1 shoots stages 1-5 in the AM, Stages 6-10 in the PM.

Squad 2 shoots stages 6-10 in the AM, Stages 1-5 in the PM.

For those who want choices, you can shoot all day Saturday, or a mix of Saturday and Sunday AM.

Squad 3 shoots stages 1-5 Sat AM, Stages 6-10 Sat PM

Squad 4 Shoots stages 6-10 Sat AM, Stages 1-5 Sun AM

Squad 5 shoots stages 1-5 Sat PM, Stages 6-10 Sun AM.

Obviously you can have more than 2 squads on the range at a time, but this gives you the format.

Edited by sperman