Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Nationals Dates Announced

Chuck Anderson

Yep. We've held Nationals three years in Oregon. At two different ranges.

Ill definetly be there if you do again! only 5 states I have never been too and thats one of them! prolly wont make alaska or the islands soon so maybe get the other 3.lol

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the logistics of running such a big match and certainly not just any range can host it. But there has to be more than just the one. There are people who can't spend airfare, 4 days in a hotel, rental cars, etc. for one match. Having the nationals at the same range for 5 years in a row alienates a lot of shooters.

Edited by Glshooter

this could be the most interesting production nationals to date with the bigger names having to pick with sport they will shoot and support (uspsa or idpa)

I don't think it will be difficult for them to choose. Let's just say that a lot middle of the pack MA class shooters have a much better chance of bringing home a trophy from the IDPA Wold Championship this year. :rolleyes: Hmmm...I should probably head to FL... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I lived on the east coast for 45 years. Sorry, but you can keep the heat and humidity, chances of rain, storms, hurricane season.

I love shooting in Vegas. I'll be back. As others have stated, things for the family to do, hotel and meals are reasonable, good weather.

Desert Sportsman is a great range and lots of props, easy to get to.

Edited by Trail3

Dates are out early: Good

Venue is announced early: Good

Match is in Vegas: Neutral

Vegas Pros; available rooms, airfare, range, diversions.

Vegas Cons; gambling, temperatures, distance from the east.

Personally, I'd like to see the Nats held during the 4 weeks or so that are commonly NOT school time. Everyone says, bring the family, Great, take your kids out of school for a week! Junior Shooters, Teachers, College Students, all are at a disadvantage with this date structure.

What we really need is a thread to name ranges located near airports (2 hours?) and moderate size cities with some diversions that COULD host a Nationals.

What have we got? PASA, RockCastle, Frostproof, Tulsa?, CASA (Arkansas) Montana, Oregon. This cannot be the only places.

Waitlist went live at the end of June last year for dates in Mid October. With the match occurring Mid September this year my best guess would be sometime around the end of May, plus or minus a couple weeks. There will be an announcement well ahead of time.

Dates are out early: Good

Venue is announced early: Good

Match is in Vegas: Neutral

Vegas Pros; available rooms, airfare, range, diversions.

Vegas Cons; gambling, temperatures, distance from the east.

Personally, I'd like to see the Nats held during the 4 weeks or so that are commonly NOT school time. Everyone says, bring the family, Great, take your kids out of school for a week! Junior Shooters, Teachers, College Students, all are at a disadvantage with this date structure.

What we really need is a thread to name ranges located near airports (2 hours?) and moderate size cities with some diversions that COULD host a Nationals.

What have we got? PASA, RockCastle, Frostproof, Tulsa?, CASA (Arkansas) Montana, Oregon. This cannot be the only places.

The range where the Ga State match has been held the last few years could do it (Riverbend.) 20 large bays, less than 2 hours from the Atlanta Airport. There isn't a lot of hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity, but you don't have to go too far and there are lots of choices.

• 3 weeks later...

The range where the Ga State match has been held the last few years could do it (Riverbend.) 20 large bays, less than 2 hours from the Atlanta Airport. There isn't a lot of hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity, but you don't have to go too far and there are lots of choices.

It's not just a matter of the range being large enough - you need a willing and competent staff onsite to host the match (the "willing" part is probably most important). It helps to have local activities for spouses and children to do while the shooter is on the range, and for folks to go to at night after shooting, and that sort of thing, too.

I'd love to see Riverbend, now... Last time I shot up there, they still looked at me really weird in my Open gun rig, and considered moving with a loaded gun to be unsafe... roflol.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was very pleasantly surprised by a phone call today from Sedro...

I earned a slot due to a decent (not first, but first from the area)

finish at area 1 last year. Nationals here I come.... Vegas Baby!

Congratulations Tim! I hope to see you down there, I think you owe me an adult beverage. When is Idaho going to host another Area march?

Hi Leroy,

Glad to hear from ya, hope your are not frozen up north!!

Yep, I owe you several brews and I am looking forward to it.

As for another area match in Idaho... still recovering from

last year. Mebbe 4 or 5 years...

TimE

I was very pleasantly surprised by a phone call today from Sedro...

I earned a slot due to a decent (not first, but first from the area)

finish at area 1 last year. Nationals here I come.... Vegas Baby!

Congratulations Tim! I hope to see you down there, I think you owe me an adult beverage. When is Idaho going to host another Area march?