Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Nationals Dates Announced

Chuck Anderson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dates for the Open/L10 overlap with the also just announced today IDPA world championship. Hope this can get worked out I'd prefer not to have to take sides. :cheers:

Tough decision Dan! Florida or VEGAS :)

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

Three years in a row at the same place? I wish they would move it around so more people would have an opportunity to attend. Alternate between the East, West and central part of the U.S. for those of us who can't always travel across the country.

Three years in a row at the same place? I wish they would move it around so more people would have an opportunity to attend. Alternate between the East, West and central part of the U.S. for those of us who can't always travel across the country.

I'm only repeating what I have heard much more knowledgeable people than me, but it's not just as easy as moving it to a different venue. There are very few clubs in the US that have the facilities to host a US nationals. Fewer still that are close enough to a major city, and airport. And that have the minimum amount of props needed, and staff available. From what I have been told, it's very difficult to find a club (and city) that meets all of the requirements, and wants to host the nationals.

Edited by RAZZ

That's a pretty good explanation RAZZ. There are several factors that go into picking a Nationals facility. Number of bays, experience of local staff, destination location, hotel/airport availability, prop inventory, price for range rental. I'm sure there are more but this is a pretty basic list. We've had the Nationals on the East Coast, in PA but not for several years. It is difficult to get ranges that are big enough to hold a Nationals to say they are willing to hold one. I know there are Areas that have enough difficulty finding a range to hold their own Area Championship let alone a Nationals.

Also, while it's not the East coast, it's a lot more east for me, the Nationals were held in PASA Park for a lot of years...a lot of years. It's only been the last few that they've truly been out west.

Additionally, when siting a Nationals we really need to put it somewhere it's expected to fill. Particularly considering the economic downturn. When trying to finance a match as large as the Nationals, if we plan it to break even at 310 shooters and we only get 250, that's a big defecit. That money will have to come from somewhere else, and frankly as a non-profit, we just don't a big stack of cash we swim around in like Scrooge McDuck.

That said, Vegas has a lot going for it when it comes to being a Nationals venue. It is a destination venue, with things other than the match to go do. You can bring your family if you want. Airfare is normally very cheap to Vegas, hotels are running sales on rooms, you can eat as cheaply, or as expensively, as you want. The weather is generally pretty consistent, hot. But at least we're not likely to repeat the mudbowl.

The advantage of staying in Vegas is that each year the club builds props and experience at putting on major matches. Each year the match gets better. Not to say that it will be in Vegas for the next 10 years, but 4-5 years in a row seems to be about ideal, as long as you don't burn out the local staff.

If you do want Nationals back east, now is the time to start getting your range in order. Start expanding, start looking at the local base of RO's, start thinking about where members will fly into, start holding major matches to get that experience down.