Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Train Songs

benos

Since I'm a big train fan, and the train practically runs through my yard, and I have a super cool train sculpture on the wall right next to the train track... I'm making a playlist of Train songs. See the attachment for where I'm at so far. The first six songs were from my iTunes, and the next 9 songs my girl recommended.

If you google "train song list" - Wikepedia returns a page with a zillion train songs, categorized alphabetically. So rather than click, read, and listen to those songs forever, I was wondering if anyone had any favorite songs about trains that came to mind.

be

post-171-095833100 1292035438_thumb.jpg

For a country bent; The Orang Blossom Special - The Charley Daniels Band, Cherokee Fiddle - ?, My Baby Thinks She's a Train - Joe Diffie, Love Train - Big & Rich, King of the Road - Tennessee Ernie Ford, Rock Island Line - Johnny Horton, balad of John Henery - The New Christy Minstrels, Casey Jones - the Greatful Dead,

I'll post again as I find others.

Edited by Modoc

While I'm at it:

Wreck Of The Old '97 - Johnny Cash

Old Train - Tony Rice (and other versions - Delmore Bros, maybe?)

Blue Railroad Train - Tony Rice (Seldom Scene?)

Wabash Cannonball - Hank Snow

My Baby Thinks He's A Train - Roseanne Cash

There's a lot of them!

Edited by Eastkoy

A couple that popped into my head right away,..

Savoy Brown – Hellbound Train

The Yardbirds – Train Kept A Rollin’

Since I'm a "Blues" nut, I could put together quite a list.

a quote from Sam Davis;

Railways and trains are so deeply rooted in the fabric of American music culture to the point where “train” songs actually predate recorded music. Whether it was the songs sung by the railway workers in the late 1800’s or the railcar songs sung by the freighthoppers during the Great Depression, trains came to symbolize the journey and the American working class.

It’s no exaggeration to say that the blues was literally born from the railroad tracks. It was at a train station in Mississippi where the “Father of the Blues” W.C. Handy discovered the sounds that led him to compose some of the the very first blues songs such as the famous Memphis Blues. Blues music and its musicians developed a strong connection to the trains, heard in timeless blues classics such as Rock Island Line, Freight Train and Midnight Special.

Countless blues and rock musicians have been inspired by the train, and there is an endless list of songs with themes surrounding this topic.

Jerry Jeff Walker and Jimmy Buffett's Railroad Lady, co-written on the last run of the Panama Limited (which makes it the second best train song that line produced. :D )

Seems to capture the demise the rail travel.

Here's Willie's version (thought I prefer Jerry Jeff's.)

Thanks for all the great replies!

After posting, I realized I forgot my favorite train song of all times - Railroad, by James Taylor. (It's not a "real" train song, but it is one of my favorite songs of all time.

be

What a coincidence! I happen to have a really cool picture, of a really cool patio, with a really cool picture of a train! :rolleyes:

My fav train song of al time has got to be Doc And Merle Watson's cover of Hank Williams "Freight Train Blues".

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.....