Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Hi-Cap Mag Thread

jasmap

I have been able to find a few threads on Caspian Hi-Cap magazines but nothing that is extremely detailed and consolidated. I have several questions about the Hi-Cap mags.

My questions are primarily focused on .40/10mm mags for Limited/L10 and for .38SuperComp mags for Open.

Which mags work in the Caspian frame? I have seen Caspian mags, EAA mags, and S_I mags mentioned also.

What capacity can be reached with any of the mags? Just like most people, I am interested in the most capacity I can get with the most reliability.

Which basepads give the most capacity and in either caliber and stay within the legal length limits for USPSA?

Which springs and followers work to give reliability and the highest capacity?

Can STI or SV mags work reliably in the Caspian frame and what is required to make them fit? Is it solely frame thinning or do the mags also need to be altered? I know Lim does it to some guns he builds. He is away so he can't answer questions right now.

And finally, I saw a for sale ad for a Caspian Hi-Cap Limited gun from Bob Vogel that listed the gun as having a 21 round mag with it. I believe Rich at Canyon Creek built the gun but I'm not sure on who did the mag.

Edited by jasmap

Jason, with the old style mags in 38 super I could load 18 rounds. I have a 170 mag which is two mags cut a part and welded together I can get 27.

Randy

Thanks Randy. What spring/follower/basepad setup are you using?

For open I use a welded up big stick (made from 2 of the old style mags) from Jim Anglin. It has a grams spring and follower and he converted the ears at the bottom of the mag to use a dawson basepad for an sti style mag. It holds 29 rounds of super comp reloadable or 29 round of 9mm with a some what tight fit. Works 100% worth every penny.

I received one of the new 140's from Caspian with my high cap frame kit. It easily holds 21 rounds of 38sc. I don't know about the reliability though as the gun is not built yet. But I'm working on that!! Will be talking to the gunsmith tomorrow!! I don't know what the major differences are between the new and old Caspian design. But I may order one of the old design from PowerFactor to compare.

Jason,

The Caspian tube in 40 with Henning Wallgren's base pad and Gram's spring and follower will hold 21 rounds(it will fit in the gauge). If you have a bad resizing die capacity will drop to 20, it's best to use a Lee U die or some sort of a case sizing machine to insure the 21 round capacity. Factory ammo will easily load to 21 also. Like with any new spring once it takes a set the 21st round will go in easy and it is reloadable.

If your going to use 9mm the original Caspian mags will be the best option, as mentioned to get a 170mm it will be a weld up. There are a number of us that weld them up. The new Caspian/Tanfoglio tubes are my choice for 9x23 and 38 super/c, again a weld up for the 170mm length and for 140mm the Wallgren base pad set up.

As for the frame mod to use SV mags it just isn't worth the time/money, the Caspian/Tanfoglio mags are much cheaper in cost. The other issue that I see is the frame is weakened, too thin in the trigger bow track. When using SV mags a larger trigger bow has to be used. I use SV trigger shoe bases with Caspian trigger bows to get the ITS trigger capability.

Rich

I will confirm the Henning mags do work after you make the adjustment to the top of the mag. The only difference with mine are I only get 20 and 19 reloadable. Now as far as fit goes, I do not know about any one else out there but my Henning mags ony fit my 2nd gen and up frames. they will not fit my first gen frame. ( too tight ).

Edited by hdgun

What about the older Promag 170's for 9mm/38s are they any good ?

These are the tubes Freddie Craig had made, Gen 1 tubes just weren't that great, the Gen 2 tubes weren't much better, but the Gen 3 tubes you could get them to run pretty good with some work. Now there are a few 1's and 2's that ran perfect with no problems but they are the exception.

Rich

What about the older Promag 170's for 9mm/38s are they any good ?

These are the tubes Freddie Craig had made, Gen 1 tubes just weren't that great, the Gen 2 tubes weren't much better, but the Gen 3 tubes you could get them to run pretty good with some work. Now there are a few 1's and 2's that ran perfect with no problems but they are the exception.

Rich

Is there a way you can tell them apart?

And finally, I saw a for sale ad for a Caspian Hi-Cap Limited gun from Bob Vogel that listed the gun as having a 21 round mag with it. I believe Rich at Canyon Creek built the gun but I'm not sure on who did the mag.

The gun Bob had listed is sold, I bought it. The mag is one Rich put together. Caspian tube, Grams follower and spring and Henning base pad. I have 6 more mags set up the same. Since I bought it, I havnt gotten out of work early enough to have light to shoot. Once I do, I will post a report.

The standard Caspian mag base pads do not work with an EGW mag well. At least not without modifying either the base pad or mag well.

The Henning base bads do get capacity to 21. They are secured by a set screw at the back of the pad. Once the basepad is on, you back the screw out until it is high enough to keep the basepad from coming off. The screws are small, 0.05" hex head. I dont think the small L shaped driver will cut it at a match, It'll get lost too easily. Henning does sell a screw driver sized hex wrench if you cant find a similiar one at a hardware store. I am also going to order a couple extra set screws encase some are lost.

Sounds like the new style tubes are the preference for 38sc. Is that correct? Like I posted above, the one I have holds 21 with the Cape style Quickchange basepad and Caspian guts. With these new tubes is it more desirable to go with the Wallgren basepads instead of the Caspian Quickchange design. Should I change to the Grams spring and follower?

Thanks!

Jason, does this mean you are building up your Caspian? I really like the frames, and even the stock new style mags with Grams guts give me 20+1.

I'm not building anything yet Tony. I'll probably sit on the frame a bit.

Thanks for all the input everyone. This is the info I was hoping to find and consolidate.

The standard Caspian mag base pads do not work with an EGW mag well. At least not without modifying either the base pad or mag well.

??

Works fine on mine

The new Cape mag well? Maybe I spoke without enough info, but the six I bought definatly dont seat.

The gun Bob had listed is sold, I bought it. The mag is one Rich put together. Caspian tube, Grams follower and spring and Henning base pad. I have 6 more mags set up the same. Since I bought it, I havnt gotten out of work early enough to have light to shoot. Once I do, I will post a report.

The Henning base bads do get capacity to 21. They are secured by a set screw at the back of the pad. Once the basepad is on, you back the screw out until it is high enough to keep the basepad from coming off. The screws are small, 0.05" hex head. I dont think the small L shaped driver will cut it at a match, It'll get lost too easily. Henning does sell a screw driver sized hex wrench if you cant find a similiar one at a hardware store. I am also going to order a couple extra set screws encase some are lost.

I sent Bob an email and he said he sold it to you a week before.That was a pretty good deal for Caspian gun.Good luck.

Edited by yuthh