Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Hi-Cap Mag Thread

jasmap

Great thread, very timely.

Open: haven't shot Open in years, but I used to use the old style Caspian mags with EGW basepads and Caspian follower/spring. This combo was VERY reliable for me, and those mags lasted forever. I trimmed the followers so there were no sharp edges.

Limited: I've been running a Caspian Limited gun for about 2 years now. I have had good luck with the new Caspian mags (a reloadable 18 rounds), until the mag bodies get used for a season or so then I have issues (bad heat treat possibly); I proactively identify bad mags by measuring the width at the top of the mag. I have had great luck with the Caspian followers/springs, but the springs seem to wear quickly, so I change them often. I have extensively used the Grams followers/spring (a barely reloadable 20 rounds) and inevitably get mysterious malfunctions, so I've dumped them. I just today tried Arredondo followers/springs which are a non-reloadable 20 rounds, but they have a very stiff spring so I'm flirting with the idea of trimming a coil.

Anyone running the Arredondo follower/spring in Limited? If so, have you trimmed a coil?

For you Caspian guys...are you doing anything special to get your mags to run? What OAL are you using?

I have a problem where, when the mags are full, the 2nd round will not move up under the top round, and the top round will nose dive. Happens with my new tubes and my old tubes, and with all new springs/followers.

For you Caspian guys...are you doing anything special to get your mags to run? What OAL are you using?

I'm not doing anything special to the mags to make them run. My OAL is 1.17. I did have some nose dive problems when I went down to an OAL of 1.12.

I'm using the new 40 mags and basepad with Arredondo spring and follower. It's pretty stiff but I can get 20 reloadable but I have to mentally be sure that I slam it home. I'm thinkin' that clipping 1 coil might get an extra rd. (maybe) OAL is 1.175

DaG

• 4 months later...

Jason,

The Caspian tube in 40 with Henning Wallgren's base pad and Gram's spring and follower will hold 21 rounds(it will fit in the gauge). If you have a bad resizing die capacity will drop to 20, it's best to use a Lee U die or some sort of a case sizing machine to insure the 21 round capacity. Factory ammo will easily load to 21 also. Like with any new spring once it takes a set the 21st round will go in easy and it is reloadable.

If your going to use 9mm the original Caspian mags will be the best option, as mentioned to get a 170mm it will be a weld up. There are a number of us that weld them up. The new Caspian/Tanfoglio tubes are my choice for 9x23 and 38 super/c, again a weld up for the 170mm length and for 140mm the Wallgren base pad set up.

As for the frame mod to use SV mags it just isn't worth the time/money, the Caspian/Tanfoglio mags are much cheaper in cost. The other issue that I see is the frame is weakened, too thin in the trigger bow track. When using SV mags a larger trigger bow has to be used. I use SV trigger shoe bases with Caspian trigger bows to get the ITS trigger capability.

Rich

Rich,

Can you elaborate a little on which base pads? Henning shows 3 different models on his site. I assume the springs and followers are the one's Grams lists for the STI/SVI/SPS.

FWIW, none of my new Caspian mag/basepads fit the gage.

• 1 year later...

For you Caspian guys...are you doing anything special to get your mags to run? What OAL are you using?I have a problem where, when the mags are full, the 2nd round will not move up under the top round, and the top round will nose dive. Happens with my new tubes and my old tubes, and with all new springs/followers.

OK, I know this is an old post but wanted to link this thread to a newer one about the new Caspian Mags.

If you are running the new style Caspian mags with the CAPE type basepad and are having nosedive or feed problems check this thread out for some ideas.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161103&st=0&p=1797447&fromsearch=1entry1797447