Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to shoot swingers...

jameacr

depends on how they are set up. if you can see the target when its at its stop point (where it momentarily stops then swings the other way) thats the best/easiet point to shoot it as its moving slower and/or stopped. I usually like to get the first shot on it just before it stops, then the 2nd should come as its stopping or just after it starts to move back up. you can track it and shoot it as it swings or hold the gun still and ambush it when it crosses. practice both and find what works for you. some will be much faster than others and that can sometimes decide how you engage it in a match.

Sorry if I sound like a turd (no offense meant at all), but I always answer this one the same way.

Sight alignment, trigger control. Pure fundamentals will take care of most everything.

Works for movers, swingers, stationary, texas stars, and everything else. I have always not let the fact that something is moving affect my mental process, and it has worked for me.

For swingers specifically, watch where it stops, and take aim there. When it gets there...pop, pop. Never chase them.

Sorry if I sound like a turd (no offense meant at all), but I always answer this one the same way.

Sight alignment, trigger control. Pure fundamentals will take care of most everything.

Works for movers, swingers, stationary, texas stars, and everything else. I have always not let the fact that something is moving affect my mental process, and it has worked for me.

For swingers specifically, watch where it stops, and take aim there. When it gets there...pop, pop. Never chase them.

That isn't how Manny Bragg taught them at the Area-5 class this year (and his method worked for everyone there).

On traditional side presentations, he teaches shooting just before it stops, the gun recoils during the time it's stopped, second shot just as it starts moving back up. On over the top presentations, he teaches tracking the target in an arc, and shooting as time/opening permits. If you're moving the gun in an arc with the target, you're not chasing anything, your matching. R,

That isn't how Manny Bragg taught them at the Area-5 class this year (and his method worked for everyone there).

On traditional side presentations, he teaches shooting just before it stops, the gun recoils during the time it's stopped, second shot just as it starts moving back up. On over the top presentations, he teaches tracking the target in an arc, and shooting as time/opening permits. If you're moving the gun in an arc with the target, you're not chasing anything, your matching. R,

If I could shoot as well as Manny, well........:roflol:

Just offering up the quick and dirty version G-man!

Jake, I think that goes for any Division ;)

Sure it is nice to get it all timed out just right and get one shot as it is stopping and another when it is leaving, but stage designers are on to us, and doing their best to destroy any sort of timing, so learning to shoot them where ever they may be is a very good skill to have.

I believe at nationals this year there was only one swinger that you could really time out, all the others were activated earlier in the stage. If you couldn't shoot them anywhere in the arc chances were good you were going to be standing around waiting for them when you got there.

Having said that though, I believe swingers are one of those shooting challenges that you have to know how YOU can shoot them. You start out shooting one shot per pass in the dwell, then progress on to shooting one in and one out, then progress on to shooting them anywhere. So how is the best way??? well, it depends on your current skill level. B)

I think the notion of shooting swingers seems a lot more difficult when you're unfamiliar with them. Find a club/range where you can practice on them, or build one to practice and you'll find out that you don't have to do anything special to make good hits on them. Just use the same old front-sight focus and good trigger control you use on every precise shot, and the hits will be there. I think confidence with swingers is as important as anything.

Mike Seeklander talked about ambushing them. If you can see where they are going to pause, then put you gun on that spot. Look to the dirt, grass, etc, in the background behind the swinger and see if you can pick a spot where 1) the swinger moves in front of it or 2) where previous bullets have hit the ground. Then follow Gman's advice.

If you have not mastered the swinging arc technique, then ambushing also works when you can only see the arc too, put your gun where the target will be and when you see the leading edge, JERK THE TRIGGER, ok only kidding about the jerk part. The key for pacing is not trying to do catch up.

As a side note; at A2 this year I did not have any misses on swingers. I had many two alphas and about the same number of A/Cs using Mike's technique. Now on targets that were not moving--there were some misses!

I wish I had the opportunity to practice Manny's technique.

• 4 weeks later...