Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nickel Plated Brass...Regular Brass Question

Panic Flinch

Hi all...I've got some 9mm cases to load. Some are silver in color and I'm assuming nickle plated. The are Winchester/Federal. The others are (Speer) and brass in color. Which is "better" and do they have different characteristics when reloading? Thanks for any insight?

You can use them interchangeably...no worries there. The nickel plated cases tend to split sooner with repeated use, but they clean up quicker in the tumbler, and seem a touch smoother running through the press. Other than that, there's not much more. Just keep in mind that there will be small differences between any two different kinds of cases...i.e. with different headstamps, or the same headstamp, but brass versus nickel plated etc. That's one of the reasons why they tell you to start low when working up a new load. R,

+1 on all G's comments. Load 'em up. I can hardly remember a split case with brass, but get them on a fairly regular basis with Ni plated. For that reason, I don't buy Ni plated to reload, but do use if from range pickup or recycling from factory loaded rounds.

Thanks for the insights... But now I'm wondering, "why nickel plating" if it seems to split cases sooner? Furthermore, it appears most of the HIGH DOLLAR ammo uses nickel plating. Does anyone know why...or what the advantages would be to have a nickle plated case? Just curious... Thanks for any replies.

Thanks for the insights... But now I'm wondering, "why nickel plating" if it seems to split cases sooner? Furthermore, it appears most of the HIGH DOLLAR ammo uses nickel plating. Does anyone know why...or what the advantages would be to have a nickle plated case? Just curious... Thanks for any replies.

They chamber and extract smoother....and look pretty. R,

The only reason I would buy nickle plated cases is identification.

Years back I had a shooting buddy that would practice with me on a regular basis. He used nickle plated brass and I used plain old brass.

Made identification of who got what after policing the range at the end of the session.

Bill

I think the nickel plated are more corrosion resistant. Lots of defensive loads are nickel.... sweat from carry won't ruin them as much.

Thats why they invented nickle cases, because police officers would never shoot thier guns, and their guns would stay in leather holsters. When they would go to take thier bullets out, they were green, and or stuck to their cylinder. Nickle cases solved this problem.

My understanding is that the plating process can introduce hydrogen into the brass, which mechanically weakens the structure of the case. It's called hydrogen embrittlement.

I have also heard that the corrosion resistance of the nickel plating is why it's applied.

Practically, G-man has it pegged. Nickelled cases shoot fine, seem slicker and cleaner, but do seem to have a shorter lifespan.

+1 to nickle being brittle, I tried some in making some .256 win mag cases out of some nickle .357's and lo an behold all the nickle ones split in the forming process, the brass ones didnt...and as some have said, it removes the corrosion problem that comes with ammo that used to be stored for long periods in leather belt loops(the salts in the tanning proces turn the brass a pretty shade of green) go ahead and load either one, doesnt matter, tho the nuckle ones will split before the brass ones me thinks...

+1 for the identification factor.

I shoot at a club and at the end of the night everyone sorts through to find their brass. While everyone else is looking for their marks on the rear of the case I just pick up all the Nickel ones. Have not used them enough to determine how much quicker they will split, but worth the time it saves me!

Mike

My understanding is that the plating process can introduce hydrogen into the brass, which mechanically weakens the structure of the case. It's called hydrogen embrittlement.

It is my understanding that hydrogen embrittlement cannot happen to brass. Also, HE is usually associated with an electroplating process (like hard chrome.) Nickel is usually applied in an electroless application.

The nickel plating itself is much less ductile than brass, and probably the reason they split sooner.

It is my understanding that hydrogen embrittlement cannot happen to brass. Also, HE is usually associated with an electroplating process (like hard chrome.) Nickel is usually applied in an electroless application.

The nickel plating itself is much less ductile than brass, and probably the reason they split sooner.

This begs the question... How many reloads until failure; Exact same load and weapon, only difference being Brass VS Nickle cases?

Someone somewhere must have done a study or at least an informal test.

When I first began reloading I purchased 500 once fired nickle 38 Special cases because I thought they were "better". About 15% gave longitudinal splits on my first firing. So these split after 2 firings.

OTOH, I have many nickle 9mm and .45 cases from new Hydrashocks, PMC Starfires and other defense loads that have been loaded at least dozen times. We have all seen nickle cases (usually .40 S&W) tumbled so much that the brass shows thru...

That was what I thought too, that copper based alloys didn't have the problem (at least that's what a Wikipedia level of understanding got me ;) ). But I nosed around some sites haunted by materials science and engineering types, and it seems as though there's some debate and mebbe some new evidence showing it to be possible. I can't tell - all the comments and experimental protocols are way over my head.

I've seen nickel cases shed the plating, especially at the case rim - would that be from the ductility difference? How would that cause splitting in the underlying brass base? Thinner case wall (I wouldn't think the difference, if any, to be that significant)?

I suppose it's really academic. Bottom line is the simple observation that nickel plated cases often split sooner/have a shorter reloading life than plain brass. I still use them, since if they're cheap or free, clean up good, and look purty, I can forgive the occasional split, especially as I tend to lose the cases before I ever wear them out. :D

Edited by kevin c

Regarding an earlier question on case life... I have yet to have a nickle plated 9mm or .45 ACP case split on firing or resizing. All of these I have used have been Federal or Speer. As for .38 Spl (which I load a lot more of than semi-auto rounds, because I don't normally pick up my semi-auto brass after a match) I have not seen premature spliting with Fed or Speer plated brass, but I have yet to have a Win or Rem plated case survive the third resizing. Most will split during resizing before that. I can only suppose there must be a slight difference in the type of plating processed used between the companies. I have reached the point I don't bother to save Win or Rem plated brass from factory loads for reloading, I just shoot it and leave it. I have no problems with their unplated brass though.

GOF

I did read somewhere that a shooter said he always loaded a nickle cased round 2nd into the mag so it would be the next to last round to eject. That way he knew when to change mags! :surprise::roflol:

I guess the slide staying open on an empty mag wasn't a big enough clue. Bad day. Thanks for the lol.:roflol:

I use nickel Remington 38 Super brass all the time. I typically will reload them at least 8 times before I intentionally leave them on the ground at a match. I've reloaded them as much as 12 times without significant problems but a few show splits by that time.

They are also much easier to find in the grass when I practice.

I have had failures on the first load with nickel 38SC while I never to this date had failure on the first load with Brass casing, I usually leave them on the ground at major match before they fail (8 or 9 reloads). :rolleyes: