Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" 9mm 2011

DyNo!

Great for SCSA. I just load 130PF .40 loads Because the majority of what I shoot is .40. I have a couple of supers, a hi-power, EAA, and a Glock in 9x19. I'm not a fan of loading major 9, but in minor it's as low as you can legally go in ipsc.

I have seen several 3 gunners using the 6" STI 9mm's. I even saw one in sightracker mode recently.

Awesome - I have two Production guns I'm going to sell and I'm sure I'll pick up a 9mm 2011 for 3-gun.

Shooting a Beretta against 2011s is not sexy. :roflol:

I'm just deciding between having someone build a 5/6" 9mm 2011 or buying a STI Edge 9mm.

Glad to know that they can both work. :D

This thread does need pictures.

Edit: I don't intend on shooting this in USPSA (Or even USPSA 3-Gun) with any seriousness. If I fire this gun in a USPSA match, it is a fun match. Hell, it will probably get a thumb rest. :cheers:

Edited by DyNo!

Another option.. get a 6" SVI, so you can change the breach face and switch it between 9mm and 40. TMC fitted a 9MM barrel expertly to my Benny Hill built 40 - now I have the perfect pistol for IMA 3 GUN, Limited or USPA 3 Gun

I think some people have had success with STI breach faces too - but not sure.

Another option.. get a 6" SVI, so you can change the breach face and switch it between 9mm and 40. TMC fitted a 9MM barrel expertly to my Benny Hill built 40 - now I have the perfect pistol for IMA 3 GUN, Limited or USPA 3 Gun

I think some people have had success with STI breach faces too - but not sure.

It is an option but after looking at my calendar next year, the only USPSA 3-gun match I plan on shooting is the Area 6 multigun.

The only other one I could imagine is the nationals and for both of those, I've got a major scoring open gun.

Outlaw rules :cheers: .

I wouldn't even consider an Edge in 9mm. Unnecessary Weight!!! If you're shooting 140PF 9mm, the Edge would be over-kill for recoil absorption and would slow you down in draw speed, transitions, etc.

6-inch, even in a 9mm, has the advantage of the longer sight radius and less powder to make the desired power factor. This will reduce recoil.

I wouldn't even consider an Edge in 9mm. Unnecessary Weight!!! If you're shooting 140PF 9mm, the Edge would be over-kill for recoil absorption and would slow you down in draw speed, transitions, etc.

6-inch, even in a 9mm, has the advantage of the longer sight radius and less powder to make the desired power factor. This will reduce recoil.

You think?

I just weighed a .40 Edge, and with a stainless MSH (and Dawson ICE), it was 40.7oz. I then weighed a .40 Trojan, and with a polymer MSH, it was 38.0z (it has a Techwell XT on it). Swap the stainless MSH for a polymer one, and it's maybe an ounce between the two...not enough that it should really hurt the average shooter's draws or transitions, although it is a heavy gun for 9 Minor.

I also weighed the slides on both guns. The Edge slide was 13.8oz, and the Trojan was 13.3oz (both with sights and all internal parts)...not a massive difference. R,

You think?

I just weighed a .40 Edge, and with a stainless MSH (and Dawson ICE), it was 40.7oz. I then weighed a .40 Trojan, and with a polymer MSH, it was 38.0z (it has a Techwell XT on it). Swap the stainless MSH for a polymer one, and it's maybe an ounce between the two...not enough that it should really hurt the average shooter's draws or transitions, although it is a heavy gun for 9 Minor.

I also weighed the slides on both guns. The Edge slide was 13.8oz, and the Trojan was 13.3oz (both with sights and all internal parts)...not a massive difference. R,

With all due respect to the distinguished Gentleman from Michigan:

Comparing an Edge to a Trojan is like comparing apples to oranges, in that one has a steel frame and the other has polymer.

An Eagle is only 33 oz. A lightened 6-inch will be within an ounce or two of that. Judicious use of lighter materials in the "add-ons" such as magwells will keep it real close.

Most of the Edge's weight is way out front, contained in the long wide dustcover and the lack of a scalloped profile on the front of the slide. That makes it swing slower from target-to-target. To me, it is unnecessary weight in a 165-170PF gun. It danged-sure ain't necessary in a 135-140PF gun to be used for Outlaw 3-Gun!

Now, on the other hand, there's the problem that a lot of shooters have when transitioning to a longer gun: they slow down on the sights. The longer sight radius enables more-accurate shooting because it is more forgiving of slight misalignments. The problem comes in when the shooter tries to "force" a perfect sight picture when a slightly "off" sight picture would be more than adequate for the shot required.

Edited by Braxton1